Notices

New here. Just wanted to say hi

Old 11-22-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am not working tomorrow, and had a twinge of "well I suppose I could have a few beers" for a while, but managed to kick that idea away.

Currently laying in bed getting sleepy.

Day 6 here I come.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Zombie. Congrats on Day 6.

Do not listen to AV that tells you to have a few beers. That's how it starts, you know.

You are almost done with the first week, physically will feel much better soon. Keep up a good job, and every time you hear this nasty voice that tells you that "you deserve just one glass", tell it to shut up, and keep reading and posting here. It helped me a lot in early recovery and still helping me to make it through my Day 39.

Have a good day.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Right, I am on day 6.

Feeling a lot better now. Liver has stopped throbbing for the most part, I feel a bit less anxious, and my overall feelings of well being have returned.

Still don't feel like I can take myself out on one of my famous 180km high speed bike rides just yet, but the sap is slowly rising! Funny that this was not a problem when drinking; I never went out drunk, and didn't drink the night before a ride, but I realise now that I was still riding with alcohol processing it's way out of my system. Amazed I managed it to be honest!

Other stuff; today will be the first day I take a crowded train without alcohol for a long time. Going to be interesting. I am definitely expecting anxiety / claustrophobia to kick in, and will let you all know how that goes!

Also, on a positive note, I have started kind of looking forward to mornings again. Breakfast is now on the agenda for the first time is years, I have actually started buying things to keep in the cupboards instead of rolling day to day too.

So, day 6 it is. Will report back later with my progress.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Went out today to a load of meetings, the last of which was in a Pizza restaurant.

This was a meeting with just me and another guy, so not a big social gathering.

We ordered food, and he ordered a beer. Asked me if I was having one, and said, "Nah, don't drink mate."

He just said, "cool", and we got on with things.

So yeah, I did it! First time ever.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day 7.

Felt pretty low last night, but not like I wanted a drink.

Will see what the day brings.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Zombie, it's only been 2 days for me. But I have in the past gone long sober times. Two times I got to a point where I felt really healthy. On my 90th day ish I drank because i felt healthy. hated myself and stopped for 2 years. Then felt really healthy at 2 years and drank a little which is now 4 months later and I binge now and I feel like crap.

The moral of my story is when you start to feel better, and I am saying this to myself also as a reminder, don't act like you can handle some alcohol. For me it quickly makes me unhealthy and at that point I say what the hell.

At any rate I hope to quit myself again for a long long time. But it's so hard for me to say I will never do it again.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good advice and I will heed it.

I intend to up my cycling starting next weekend. I usually ride a couple of hundred kilometres a week on my road bike, but now I am clean, I think I am going to up that.

This will not only be great in itself, but also give me more reason to stay off everything, even when I feel healthy again.

I really feel what you are saying, and thanks for putting it forward.

I wish you luck in your detox and sobriety too. Let us know how it goes!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZombieAttack View Post
Good advice and I will heed it.

I intend to up my cycling starting next weekend. I usually ride a couple of hundred kilometres a week on my road bike, but now I am clean, I think I am going to up that.

This will not only be great in itself, but also give me more reason to stay off everything, even when I feel healthy again.

I really feel what you are saying, and thanks for putting it forward.

I wish you luck in your detox and sobriety too. Let us know how it goes!
No problem and thanks to you also.

Believe it or not these little chats with people in the same boat do help.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Believe it or not these little chats with people in the same boat do help.
The miracle of fellowship
Old 11-23-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Best to you.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good for you, Zombie! Feeling healthy is what kept me going and reading and posting on SR. I'm coming up on 11 months so it can be done!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Tonight was similar to last night. Didn't feel the urge to drink at all, but felt a bit 'mental', if you know what I mean. Thoughts spinning around, and very up and down with feeling positive / negative about things.

Body is feeling OK. Not totally better, but a damn site nicer feeling that this time last week. In fact! This time last week was when I was having my last drinking session. A wedding party, no less.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Tonight was similar to last night. Didn't feel the urge to drink at all, but felt a bit 'mental', if you know what I mean. Thoughts spinning around, and very up and down with feeling positive / negative about things.

Body is feeling OK. Not totally better, but a damn site nicer feeling that this time last week. In fact! This time last week was when I was having my last drinking session. A wedding party, no less.
I hear you...
Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Smile

Welcome to SR ZA
We're glad you're here & are interested in your posts.
Congrats on making the healthy choice to be sober.
Respect.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Right, day 8!

Feel like I am making a bit of progress. Emotionally and mentally, I can feel things cooling down slightly; I have always felt rational, deep down, but there have been times in the last 8 days where it has felt like whatever mental state the withdrawals caused were affecting me physically as well. This is calming a bit, which I appreciate!

Another thing; I seem to be urinating a lot more than I used to. I suspect this is mainly to do with a combination of not constantly fighting back from alcohol induced dehydration, and also that I am glugging a lot more water down than before. No pain or anything when urinating, and the colour is pretty light, so I guess this is just what 'Muggles' experience.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day 9.

Yesterday was odd. Had a MASSIVE migraine (I suffer from these, but this one was something else), and felt completely battered.

Not sure if my withdrawals are connected with this (would not be surprised if they are), but I am OK today.

Feeling a bit less up and down (although that is still there). I do feel like I need to re-do all the things I have done while drinking (although not necessarily drunk) to kind of reset everything, that makes sense.

Physically I still feel a bit weak. Couldn't put much power down on my bike yesterday, like I used to. Plan to get that back soon though.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Each day and everything will continue to get better. Just don't let feeling physically better trick you into thinking EVERYTHING is better and therefore, "cured." I fell into that trap wayyyy too many times.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
Each day and everything will continue to get better. Just don't let feeling physically better trick you into thinking EVERYTHING is better and therefore, "cured." I fell into that trap wayyyy too many times.
Exactly. I was at the gym, strong benching 265 lbs and squatting 250 ish (and I'm kinda skinny) and I thought I could handle some beer. Once I started drinking once a week all my gains in the gym stopped. Then the next week I became weaker. A few weeks later i gave up because I wasn't going anywhere. Next thing I know I'm drunk off my butt and lost a lot of my gains. I WILL NEVER be able to drink a few here and there. The beer seemed to be disrupting my nutrient take up. Apparently my body processes the alcohol differently than people who can just chill with a few beers or so a week.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Day 9.

Yesterday was odd. Had a MASSIVE migraine (I suffer from these, but this one was something else), and felt completely battered.

Not sure if my withdrawals are connected with this (would not be surprised if they are), but I am OK today.

Feeling a bit less up and down (although that is still there). I do feel like I need to re-do all the things I have done while drinking (although not necessarily drunk) to kind of reset everything, that makes sense.

Physically I still feel a bit weak. Couldn't put much power down on my bike yesterday, like I used to. Plan to get that back soon though.
Hi. I feel better today finally, day 4 for me. Yesterday I ate nothing and drank distilled water and continued that today until 4pm which is when I ate. I gots work tomorrow - yay .

See you later
Old 11-26-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Day 10. Feel OK ish.

Managed to ride home from work at about 60% capacity, which is better than before