Notices

New here. Just wanted to say hi

Old 11-21-2012, 03:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here. Just wanted to say hi

Hey

I am an alcoholic finally deciding to get clean.

I am on day 4 now, and while I didn't believe at first the symptoms of withdrawal one may get, I certainly do now!

I know it will eventually pass, and I need to keep it real.

I have the following;

-Paranoia
-Anxiety
-Physical issues, like headaches, tiredness, aching liver on occasion (although that is getting better) etc.

In a weird way I am almost (almost) enjoying the withdrawals, as it means I am not full of alcohol!

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I will use this thread as a kind of diary of progress. Maybe it can act as solace to anybody else in the future attempting what I (we) are all doing.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome ZA, You can do it, you wll find your way, keep reading, participating, get into chat, do your thing, one day at a time...
Old 11-21-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sweet mate, thanks a lot.

Looking forward to getting to day 10! Not done that for a decade. Scary to think about that, I suppose, but now is not the time for me to look back.

Only forwards.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi zombieAttact, thanks for replying to my post to day much appreceiate it, i will keep you informed, i hope we can support each other because as you say we are newbies on this site , so good luck, and bring it on day ten for you. Did you detox with meds ? if you dont

mind me asking?
sorry can't pm you , you need to have at least 25 posts x
Old 11-21-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey

Yeah, looking forward to day 10. Feel better already for finding this place!

My 'method';

Just decided to suffer it out by myself. I realise this is risky, but aside from a no doubt over-worked liver, I am pretty healthy (I run a sports club, and regularly ride huge distances through mountains). No idea how I have managed to actually do all that whilst pouring booze down my neck.

I will of course let you know how it is going, and I wish you luck in it all as well.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Woke up feeling marginally better but still a long way off better.

Good luck for the day everybody!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work zoombie a!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

HEY THERE - ITS DAY 1 SOBER TODAY -HOPE TO GET TO DAY4
Old 11-21-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice one!

It is going to be a nightmare for a few days mate, so brace yourself.

Day 5 for me. I think I have got to the 'evacuation' stage. The stuff coming out of me is horrific!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes its hard as to do....hope i can get to day 5 like u
Old 11-21-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you start to feel better soon. The first week is usually the worst physically. I'm glad you're continuing to read and post.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks.

Yeah, I am quietly confident that I am going to be OK.

Without wanting to dwell on it too much, I have been keeping a mental record of what and how much has been coming out of me, so to speak.

For the first day, it was business as usual; diarrhea-like stuff and what I thought was normal sweat. Then yesterday, things have become a lot more solid, but a hell of a lot more toxic. I guess this is part of the cleansing process, and in a way very impressive. Even with this much abuse, ones body fights back!

My liver is still telling me it is there, but it is not exactly painful, more just enlarged I suppose. Definitely feels better than it did though, and from what I have been reading, the main thing I can do for it is to stay off the booze, which is what I am doing.

Hooray for evolution and even more so for a second chance.

Not out of the woods yet, I know, but I am determined!

Will keep posting, as long as you are all willing to have me.

And to those who are on day 1, just go for it!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just a few more days and you will feel alot better. I'm on 9 and feel like a rocket! LOL!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Just a few more days and you will feel alot better. I'm on 9 and feel like a rocket! LOL!
That is sweet news, Thepatman! Great job . Im feeling too too bad myself.

Keep up the good work Zombie! Keep posting and please keep us informed as to how you are making out
Old 11-21-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

...and by "too too" I actually meant "not too" lol. I blame it all on the keyboard.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks

The anxiety has slightly subdued. It does come back in waves, but is relatively short lived.

I am looking forward to announcing day 6, 7, 8 etc etc.

Really appreciate all the comments and support on this site.

I will definitely be offering support to others when I am through the worst of it.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Amusing things I have noticed on Day 5.

-I feel remarkably better. Not perfect, but it is a massive improvement to how I was on Day 2.

-I can smell more stuff around me. Really noticing people who smell of cigarette smoke now. Never really noticed before.

-I feel confident that I don't smell of alcohol now. This always played on my mind before, despite being one of those impeccably clean people who showers a few times a day, gargles with mouthwash, wears cologne, etc.

-The top end of my digestive system seems to be working in overtime. I ate a massive bowl of Udon noodles, and a plate of grilled chicked salad about 2 hours ago, and now I am hungry again.

-The day seems to be going a lot faster.

-I don't sweat as much.

I will let you know the other stuff as it emerges!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Welcome ZA.

It took me about a week or two to start to feel human again. I was still shaking 6 days into detox (I had lethal levels in me), but yeah, things start to clear up, firm up and look up. Just remember those old feelings...it's amazing how our mind acts up as our bodies heal.

As for the anxiety, depression, etc. I used to have wicked panic attacks - took meds for it, etc. But what the truth was is that when I went into withdrawals, one way it manifested was in anxiety attacks. Needless to say I don't get any of those any more. I also went through 3-4 different anti-depressants, and in the end, it was because drinking depressed me. Needless to say, I don't have depression nor do I need medication any more.

You may notice the same - or not. Some of us truly do need meds, and that's fine. But while your body is almost healing, it's your moods that will be on a rollercoaster for a while! It will be natural for you to want to hug everyone on your block one minute, then want to strangle them the next. it took me about 3 months before I started to even out.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Cheers!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Yeah, I understand everything you are saying.

I am not on any medication nor do I intend to get on any; I consider myself pretty solid when it comes to rationalising emotions, and I realise anything that is happening is as a result coming off years of alcohol abuse.

I think, looking at the big picture, I don't feel like I am getting any worse than I was a few days back, so am on the road to recovery.

The next challenges are going to be the social ones, and the ones when I do feel completely better and think, 'ah, I suppose I could have a couple of beers and be OK...' That will only end in disaster, I know, but those feelings are going to come I am certain.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I remember after a few days becoming so very hungry I couldnt eat enough! I think that is a good sign. Keep at it