Notices

1,537 days and the streaks over....

Old 10-05-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1,537 days and the streaks over....

Well folks, I have entered civilian life. Therefore with my strong belief of total abstinence, I can no longer consider myself part of the Sober community for that reason alone. I still maintain the same Morals and Beliefs that saved my life and was attainable only through God and AA/NA. Do I regret my decision? Nope, actually I am unburdened as to all the what ifs? I am not the same person that I was for nearly 25 years as an addict and drunk. I would love to still chime in here at SR once in a while but as for my recent change in status, my opinions wouldnt hold water....

On a side note, our community was struck by a recent tragedy down here. Prayers for Family and Friends would be greatly appreciated. Just sayin.....

Warlocks biker shooting arrests: Third Warlocks club member died - Orlando Sentinel
Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not real sure I get this...Maybe it's too early in the morning for me. Have you gone back to normal drinking?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I'm not real sure I get this...Maybe it's too early in the morning for me. Have you gone back to normal drinking?
Thats the ticket! My vague description was in respect to the policies of SR.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

page 30 of the big book...First Edition

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.
.....just sayin'.

Last edited by CarolD; 10-05-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added mandatory SR Copy Write Guideline
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
I am not the same person that I was for nearly 25 years as an addict and drunk.
You don't think it's because you weren't drinking and taking drugs?

Good luck to you my friend... We will leave the light on.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I kind of saw this coming in some posts you had not long ago......I wish you well...Cunning, baffling and powerful.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is what you posted July 18...

Backing off from the sober community
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow I will be entering my fifth year sober, that includes holidays and weekends too! As I reflected on the journey I realised that I have distanced myself from the large group of recovering alcoholics/addicts that I was once associated with. Some are dead, some are back "out there", and some are still struggling. When I do see them it is as if they are stuck in time, exactly how I saw them last. Almost as if they will embrace that hoplessness forever. On top of that they always ask, "Are you OK? I havent seen you at a meeting lately" as if meetings are all that matter. Its usually asked by the guy that has relapsed over and over and is still unemployed and living on a couch somewhere. Reminds me of that old saying, "Hang around a Barber Shop long enough and you are gonna get a haircut". I guess I see AA/NA as opportunity to make a better life for myself instead of just stopping drinking. Just sayin...
Old 10-05-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck with that, we will be here if you need us.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had an oldtimer friend tell me you go out of AA just like you came in. You start with meetings...Get a sponsor...Work the steps....Get into service work....Pretty soon the service work starts to slide....You start slowing down with step work...Working 10 and 11....You start distancing yourself from your sponsor........Pretty soon you've cut meetings down to nothing and you're back out. Have you seen this to be true with you?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sapling,

I like your comment. I'm 3 day sobber so I'm no expert.

But I don't want to spend my life thinking it's a struggle to stay sobber. I'm already feeling like I'm just a person that don't drink. That's it. Many people don't drink and they are perfectly happy. I want to be one of them. For some reason this time is not hard at all to have stopped. I don't even feel a need to drink. It's like I feel totally done with the pain. I feel at peice, that's it.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is what you posted July 18...

Backing off from the sober community
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I see AA/NA as opportunity to make a better life for myself instead of just stopping drinking. Just sayin...
Thats my point.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't get it stugotz....If you're life was better drinking....Why did you stop to begin with?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'll miss your contributions.

Newcomers who can't quite grasp "never" drinking again frequently ask, "Has any recovered alcoholic become a normal drinker." The closest I've seen to a YES answer is, "If there are any, they aren't posting to SR."

Maybe you'll be one. Most likely we'll never know. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't get it stugotz....If you're life was better drinking....Why did you stop to begin with?
See that is where you miss my point. I was the problem not the booze or alcohol. My life sucked because of ME not any other reason. Through God and the programs of AA/NA I have learned how to fix ME. Nothing else, just ME. This isnt a test, or an experiment. This is life. With the risk of getting this post closed down, I had half a glass of beer at a memorial for some lost friends. I didnt rob a liquor store or buy dope after. I just believe that with AA/NA goes abstinence, which I no longer subscribe to. Just sayin...
Old 10-05-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I for one realise I will NEVER touch it again. Why can't people just be happy without chemicals in their body?

I could never just have one or 2. But give me a 24 and I'll see the bottom of it. LOL!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
I just believe that with AA/NA goes abstinence, which I no longer subscribe to. Just sayin...
I have to wish you luck with that...I stll have that one thing that makes me different from other people...The phenomenon of craving. I don't want to go back there. Take care of yourself...And if it doesn't work out...You have a good idea what you need to do.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'll miss you around here. Just sayin'...
Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"If anyone who is showing inability to quit drinking can do the right-about-face and drink like a gentleman, our hats are off to him."

Hats off to ya Stugotz. If you need us we are here for ya!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My condolences for the loss of the members, and right outside the VFW Post. Sometimes there's just no respect. SR will be here if you need us again with no judgement. Good luck to you. Ride safe
Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I remember you use to be a big part of AA & recovery life. You even brought meetings to the jail. This is an interesting post. Once in a while I get the thought that maybe depression has been my main problem & when I get a handle on that I can drink like a "normal drinker". I think that's it like playing Craps. You can hit your number a few times, sometimes quite a few but eventually that seven pops up. It's statistically against you.