Notices

1,537 days and the streaks over....

Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

I could be PC and just wish you well...but I don't really think you'd appreciate that Stu.

I do wish you well, and I hope you're right - but, if for nothing else but the benefit of others...a few personal observations

I was the problem not the booze or alcohol. My life sucked because of ME not any other reason. Through God and the programs of AA/NA I have learned how to fix ME. Nothing else, just ME. This isnt a test, or an experiment. This is life. With the risk of getting this post closed down, I had half a glass of beer at a memorial for some lost friends. I didnt rob a liquor store or buy dope after. I just believe that with AA/NA goes abstinence, which I no longer subscribe to. Just sayin.

The problem was me too...but the me problem I have includes my use of alcohol and other drugs.

Many's the time I drank and nothing bad happened....that kinda misses the point when you consider the many thousands of times I drank and drugged and bad things *did* happen, even if they were mostly soul-based....

I've had to learn, painfully, that anytime I think a drink is a good idea (or at least not a bad idea) I'm in trouble.

Anytime I think I can turn it off like a tap, I'm in trouble.

Anytime I forget where I've come from and think the rules don't apply now, I'm in trouble.

Anytime I'm drinking to fit in, to not be different, I'm in trouble too.

I've struggled hard to build a new life over the last 5 years. It's a good life because I've accepted what and who I am.

I've come to see that acceptance as a great gift.

Regardless of the fact we may see the gift in different lights, I truly wish the same for you.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

D
Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
It appears we know all the same people.
Yes, it does. Lots of great people too!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

We here never learn about the success stories of the sort you are describing, what we have are only the failed cases. Sorta like taking a roll call and asking for those absent to sound off. I am sure that people do resume moderate drinking, the capacity of the human spirit is limitless I believe. Even if it is only one in a thousand, or one in a million, it still happens. That's not where my money is because I don't play those odds, but still...

Here is an excellent survey of studies, data, and an extensive if not exhaustive collection of literature about recovery from alcoholism and a return to moderate drinking. It also raises the obvious questions concerning various models of alcoholism and how they may be addressed. Draw your own conclusions.

I expect you to be a success at whatever you do, so can you drop me a line from time to time to tell me how things are going? I wish you well on your journey, Stugotz. My deepest condolences on the passing of your buddy.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Stu,

I'm very sorry about your friend. Life can be a real kick in the n@ts sometimes.

I've always learned something from your postings. From having the guts to post your mugshot for the world to see, to saying unpopular, but sometimes necessary things, to your apparent fondness to Charles Bukowski.

Life isn't static. What once seemed paramount at one point in our lives, sometimes becomes just an occasional thought at a different time. Perhaps you have learned enough about yourself and the damage that alcoholic drinking can cause that you can just close that chapter of your life an get on with living. I do think that you have too much experience with this to just stop lending a voice when you can to help, especially the struggling new comers. You had it bad and you survived. That is a powerful story.

You have helped me and I'm not AA. I'm better to have "known" you and I'm sure a lot of others feel the same way.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

You are the Man Stu. I always thought so and I am happy for you in whatever you choose. Glad you are finding balance in your life. I should also add, whatever anyone chooses out there as long as it keeps them safe and steady then do your thing. If you can't control then you must roll.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Best wishes and I hope life turns out just the way you hope for. I will impart one thought, unfortunately it isn't original, although I would like to lay claim to it.

WHEN YOU GET HIT BY A TRAIN-IT ISN'T THE CABOOSE THAT KILLS YOU.

All the best, and while I attend very few meetings anymore I do stay in touch with AA and I can only speak for myself, but excess is still apparent in my daily behavior and it was excess that did me in. Sober 13 years but even with no desire to drink, I can say that alcohol adds nothing to my life and I have seen what it CAN take away. That said; I do not play on the tracks.

Just me, everyone else please feel free to move about the cabin

Jon
Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Stu - If you feel the desire to return - for whatever reason - we'll be here.

Condolences on the tragic loss of your friend.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Yeah, you know, this is an issue most folks with long term sobriety have to face sooner or later. Life is better. We know that some folks who were once addicted can drink socially...maybe we're one of them?

I won't do it myself for two reasons. One, I made an irrevocable commitment. Two, I enjoy my life just fine the way it is. I would never risk it.

But that's me. I respect the decisions of others. They don't threaten my own choice, and I want to know what people's experiences are. So stugotz, I hope you'll check in and let us know how you are.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
page 30 of the big book...First Edition

.....just sayin'.
Good quote. Right from the Big Book.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Well folks, I have entered civilian life. Therefore with my strong belief of total abstinence, I can no longer consider myself part of the Sober community for that reason alone. I still maintain the same Morals and Beliefs that saved my life and was attainable only through God and AA/NA. Do I regret my decision? Nope, actually I am unburdened as to all the what ifs? I am not the same person that I was for nearly 25 years as an addict and drunk. I would love to still chime in here at SR once in a while but as for my recent change in status, my opinions wouldnt hold water....

On a side note, our community was struck by a recent tragedy down here. Prayers for Family and Friends would be greatly appreciated. Just sayin.....

Warlocks biker shooting arrests: Third Warlocks club member died - Orlando Sentinel
This post gives me the healthy fear I need to keep moving forward one day at a time. I have a little over 1,250 days sober. This person was just ahead of me. The newbies, the walkers, the oldtimers, the relapsers. I hope to always learn from all of them.

Cunning, baffling, powerful and maybe most of all, patient. It will wait for decades until a crack appears in your armor.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Stu, I know you already mentioned several times that you don't intend to go back to drinking so this is more for those who might be reading this thread and think you're inferring that spiritual fittness is a cure for addictions. I would first ask why total abstinence is a part of 12 step programs if getting spiritually fit actually cured addictions. In theory if you were cured you wouldn't need to abstain.

Second I would ask why the clergy (a group of spiritually fit people), also has a high rate of alcoholism. While getting spiritually fit has many rewards it will not, in and of itself cure all addictions. Please everyone keep in mind that there is a brain chemistry, biology and psychology of addictions that could care less if you're spiritually fit or not.

Here are a few articles that talk about the biology of it all. :
Corrupted Choice
Is Addiction the Result of Brain Evolution? | Psychology Today
The Brain is Vulnerable to Hacking by Drugs | Psychology Today
The Pivot Point | Psychology Today

Just something for everyone to keep in mind. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Stu and best wishes in everything going forward.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
High on Life

All of these things are exactly what happens when we use. So it shouldnt come as a surprise. Sobriety has "Promises" drinking has "guarantees". Just sayin...
You said this to me 2 yrs ago the day after my DUI car crash. I'll never forget your cut to the point comments that always hit the right nerve. It made me seriously get my ass in gear. Don't forgert who you are and what you are. Good luck on your new journey.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'll miss you a lot. Take good care, and I sure hope you find your way back here every once in a while
Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for sharing with us over the years. Best of luck to you and yours!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Not sure if you had any more to drink after that one beer. Do you plan to continue drinking? Or was it a one time slip?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Your Posts have certainly helped me Stu,thanks.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

((Stu)) - I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. I wish you the best, and I do hope you check in once in a while.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-06-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sally1009 View Post
Not sure if you had any more to drink after that one beer. Do you plan to continue drinking? Or was it a one time slip?

Nope, no more. As for a slip? Absolutley not, that would imply that while practicing abstinency I chose to drink. That my friend was not the case at all. Just sayin...
Old 10-06-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Nope, no more. As for a slip? Absolutley not, that would imply that while practicing abstinency I chose to drink. That my friend was not the case at all. Just sayin...
So, just so I understand (sorry if I'm being stupid) are you saying you have made a decision to include alcohol in your life now, and that you feel able to drink moderately? If so, are you SURE this is not denial? Just saying this because I care.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sally1009 View Post
So, just so I understand (sorry if I'm being stupid) are you saying you have made a decision to include alcohol in your life now, and that you feel able to drink moderately? If so, are you SURE this is not denial? Just saying this because I care.
Never having been one who had a problem expressing myself, I find this quote by Threshold to sum up almost perfectly how I feel towards my growth.

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Stu,

Four years in recovery and I feel like I am not any better off deep inside me.

Recovery can be a "cover" as well, an interesting distraction from life and my deeper inner issues. I did that version of recovery. But in time I got down to brass tacks, got honest, or as honest as am I currently able. Maybe in another four years I'll find an honesty deep and raw enough to set me free.

I don't care if I ever get to a place where I can say "I could take a drink and it wouldn't matter". But I want to get up in the morning and feel I can face the day, really face it and embrace it without layers of magical thinking, masks and sidestepping.

I've always gotten the sense that is what you want as well, for your life to not be about drinking, or not drinking, or a regimen of recovery. But for life to be about life, which is enough. More than enough.
Brilliant!