Notices
View Poll Results: Now that you have quit, do you still consider yourself an alcoholic/addict?
YES - I still consider myself an alcoholic/addict.
82.88%
NO - I do not consider myself an alcoholic/addict.
17.12%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

RE: Addict Identity

Old 07-07-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Most of us promised ourselves to stop drinking many, many times and failed to keep that promise...but we kept waking up and saying this time it will be different, i will succeed whilst making no changes whatsoever to our "plan of change"...it's called insanity...some of us only recognised we had done this once we got help and got sober, so the last thing that we would need to here is "this time you can do it" or "just stop drinking" and all that BS!
I'm not coming from a perspective of someone who has not been through this, though. Very few people - in fact only two - ever told me to NEVER DRINK AGAIN.

Everyone else told me to either "cut back" or to "get help," neither of which worked. I am convinced that the "help," which included much indoctrination into the "chronic disease of relapse" and "nobody can do it alone, nobody can just quit," coupled with incessant attempts to undermine my self-confidence and to convince me that I was "in denial" - was quite detrimental, and made things much worse.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by keithj View Post
Right now, today, I can look at the Newcomers forum and see many examples of people just like me that swore off for good, only to relapse again. Are they somehow weaker, less motivated, not as serious, worse cases, than those who insist that all it takes is making a decision to quit? That's the question I want an answer to. What's up with those people like me who couldn't seem to make that work for them?
Nobody told them how to do it. Most people learn it on their own through trial and error over years, or die first, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
According to 'the other side' of this thread, all those folks have to do is make up their minds to quit. So why are they back again (just like I was) after a relapse? I, too, am waiting patiently for an answer.
Someone can (and should) make up their mind to quit if they cannot control their intake, but they may need the "inside information" on how to make it.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

What's the point of all of this?
I remember when I had to be right all the time.
Now, I only need to be right for me.
I don't give a hoot what others consider themselves.
What's right for you might not be right for me.

To thine own self be true.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Paperdolls....my ego STILL tries to interfere with all I do! Learning, learning, learning.

Great Post.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
What is this thread about anyway? We were asked how we view ourselves .... alcoholic or recovered/ing alcholic or not .... people answer and then are told they are wrong. WTH?
Well, this is a recovery forum, after all. Throw a bunch of current/former drinkers/users together, and you invariably get:
DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA. :-)
I agree, though. To thine own self be true.

Possibly the only "slogan" I ever liked.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
I have had the benefit, no, privilege, of reading others who use different methods of recovery... and though I don't always understand them, or even always agree with them, I have learned that ultimately, I know very little... and that if something works, then there must be something to it... and that I have come respect, and listen to, anyone who does the tough work to recover from this devastating malady... alcoholism.
Mark, I have to say that you consistently impress me with your even-temperedness and self-reflection, at least most of the time. Granted, I don't know you in real life, but keep doing whatever you're doing.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Knowing my track record, the day I stop thinking of myself of an alcoholic will be the day I'm likely to pick up a bottle again. I love my sober life, and I don't want to become lax with remembering the difference between how things were, and how they are now.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I would commit to abstinence daily and the longest I ever made it was 9 days. I drank because I wanted to drink and I craved it. I thought it was the solution to my life's problems. Obviously, I had an inkling that my drinking was a problem if I made the commitment to stop. Unfortunately, I continued to drink for years and years until my drinking developed into full blown alcoholism. I think the point that many of us are trying to make is many have made the commitment to quit drinking, but failed. It wasn't until I worked a program I succeeded in getting and staying sober. Not everyone relapses. It doesn't have to be that way. However, I did, twice. I didn't know how to stay stopped. I was going to meetings, but wasn't working the program as it was intended. Taking bits and pieces and customizing your own recovery program seems "iffy" to me. I speak from experience, and being around forums for years, and watching this fail over and over again. I don't mean to discourage anyone, but this has been my experience. I would suggest to anyone who has a few days, a few months into sobriety, keep trudging forward. You are doing the right thing in wanting to quit, but please heed the warnings of others who have seen it and lived many of these thread topics before. I wouldn't speak out if I were not a witness to a plan that has "red flag" written all over it.

As far as the poll, I voted yes. I am still an alcoholic, but a sober one.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I consider myself someone that used to drink too much alcohol; someone who HAD problems with alcohol. I don't have problems with alcohol now because I don't drink it. Ever. It seems to work for me.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

i consder myself to be a person who does everything with extreme thoroughness and passion, perfectionistic even... this is bad when the thing i am doing is potentially deadly.
to quote jack t, i drank so much alcohol i became physically dependent on it, and therefore having 'just a few' was no longer an option because my 'beast' was in control the minute i had the first sip.

i don't personally go for addict or alkie as an identity, and the whole sorry topic is something i hope to leave behind for good shortly, because for me reminders of that type almost justify giving it 'one last go' to see if i can regain control. other people's mileage may vary on that, of course.

the way i see it, i never got addicted to uppers (never even took any, ever) so i don't need a daily reminder not to pop a few, and if i'll never drink again, thinking too much about how i won't drink.... is a little bit strange. i mean, which part of me is thinking (about) it?!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubtfulDebs View Post
i don't personally go for addict or alkie as an identity, and the whole sorry topic is something i hope to leave behind for good shortly, because for me reminders of that type almost justify giving it 'one last go' to see if i can regain control. other people's mileage may vary on that, of course.
That's the idea. Quit, move on, forget about that sorry chapter of your life, and live as a person who never drinks. No more "recovering."

the way i see it, i never got addicted to uppers (never even took any, ever) so i don't need a daily reminder not to pop a few, and if i'll never drink again, thinking too much about how i won't drink.... is a little bit strange. i mean, which part of me is thinking (about) it?!
You're getting it. Here's a question though. If you'll never drink again, why are you still focusing on your last drink, as per the quit date on your signature? Only prisoners count time until their release date. If you will never drink again, you are already free.

No need to count time. :-)

Remember, IT (the beast) likes to count time - until your next "relapse," that is.

It's OK to know the date, but don't make that your focus...
Old 07-10-2011, 01:49 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
Here's a question though. If you'll never drink again, why are you still focusing on your last drink, as per the quit date on your signature? Only prisoners count time until their release date. If you will never drink again, you are already free.
i completely agree with the sentiment, and i only put it in to share with other people where i'm coming from, and actually so i could avoid ever having to mention how many days i've been back in charge of my brain!

that wasn't my last drunk, just my last drink, because i weaned myself down with diluted wine for 3 days before the start of the month, so i think at the moment it's a non-negative thing for me to have in there, although i do agree it's not the purest operation of avrt.

i'm not sure that i can be on this forum and yet not thinking in some way about the whole issue.... still working that one out in my head, at the moment i see me maybe coming here for a month or so to stay focused on a positive (sobriety) rather than a negative (non-drinking) if that makes any sense.

so i'll probably reconsider my sig in a month or so, if i'm still posting here that is.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

i completely agree with the sentiment, and i only put it in to share with other people where i'm coming from, and actually so i could avoid ever having to mention how many days i've been back in charge of my brain!

that wasn't my last drunk, just my last drink, because i weaned myself down with diluted wine for 3 days before the start of the month, so i think at the moment it's a non-negative thing for me to have in there, although i do agree it's not the purest operation of avrt.

i'm not sure that i can be on this forum and yet not thinking in some way about the whole issue.... still working that one out in my head, at the moment i see me maybe coming here for a month or so to stay focused on a positive (sobriety) rather than a negative (non-drinking) if that makes any sense.

so i'll probably reconsider my sig in a month or so, if i'm still posting here that is.
How is otherizing a part of your mind rational? It's still your mind.

Why not just accept the cognitive dissonance of hurting yourself when you don't want to?
Old 07-10-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MickeyAnMeisce View Post

Why not just accept the cognitive dissonance of hurting yourself when you don't want to?
I can relate to the 'otherizing', when I get cravings sometimes it feels as if I'm possessed, like I'm looking at life through someone else's eyes!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MickeyAnMeisce View Post

AVRT is just a semantics racket, a dissociative thinking skill to stop "white knuckling" against desire or feeling that you have to listen to that voice that says "DRINK! NOW!" in a thousand different variations, as if it were coming from your own mind. Obviously, the cravings/urges/obsession are being generated by your own body/brain. It doesn't matter what you attribute them to, though. Hardened atheists can attribute them to the midbrain/limbic system, and others can attribute them to the Devil, if they want to; both would work.

"The Beast" of Rational Recovery is no different than "My disease" or "My alcoholic" from AA in that respect - it gives the source a name, which is natural for humans to do. We label and categorize in order to understand. The manner in which that entity is handled certainly differs, however.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I suspect that the term "alcoholic" means different things to different people. I equate the term "alcoholic" with the term "alcohol dependent" as used in the DSM-IV and under that definition I am not an alcoholic and have not been for many years. This does not mean that I don't have a higher risk that the general population of becoming alcohol dependent again--I do--but I see no point in defining myself in relation to a problem I haven't had since the previous century.

OTT
Old 07-12-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
There neurobiology of addiction may explain how this develops, and how the body recovers from it, but as of yet, with the exception of detox, treatment does not resemble a medical solution in the least. You can read about the neurobiology of addiction until you go blind from eye strain, but until medicine actually beings to treat it as a medical condition, that won't help you much.

In fact, it might even dissuade you from trying. I actually have a book that contains many research articles on this topic. It makes the "Big Book" look like a greeting card, but there is nothing in there on how to quit.
What's the book, AVRT? I'm interested...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
What's the book, AVRT? I'm interested...
Principles of Addiction Medicine

Richard K. Ries (Editor), Shannon C. Miller (Editor), David A. Fiellin (Editor), Richard Saitz (Editor)
ISBN: 9780781774772
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2009 - 1408 pages (Trim Size: 8.375" x 10.875")

I have a few others, but they are in storage, and I can't recall the names and authors at the moment. Sorry.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

When I try to fit in or make others happy at my own expense, I am an alcoholic and addict feeding my need to fit in and feeding my need to feel good. When I live my life the way I want to, I feel better already and naturally make people happy and work towards feeling better without reckless mind altering stuff , it becomes a choice. And it becomes much easier to simply choose not to.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I'm only 41 days in and still think about drinking a lot. So yep. Still an alcoholic.