View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Most of us promised ourselves to stop drinking many, many times and failed to keep that promise...but we kept waking up and saying this time it will be different, i will succeed whilst making no changes whatsoever to our "plan of change"...it's called insanity...some of us only recognised we had done this once we got help and got sober, so the last thing that we would need to here is "this time you can do it" or "just stop drinking" and all that BS!
I'm not coming from a perspective of someone who has not been through this, though. Very few people - in fact only two - ever told me to NEVER DRINK AGAIN.

Everyone else told me to either "cut back" or to "get help," neither of which worked. I am convinced that the "help," which included much indoctrination into the "chronic disease of relapse" and "nobody can do it alone, nobody can just quit," coupled with incessant attempts to undermine my self-confidence and to convince me that I was "in denial" - was quite detrimental, and made things much worse.