Notices

Day 14

Old 01-07-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 14

Hi I am new to this community. I stopped drinking Christmas day after a drunken incident ended up with me in a police cell over night. I am here to hopefully get support and also to give support. I am struggling today . I do not want a drink but I am so worried about things and what I have done that I want to escape reality. I will not give in but I could really do with some advice . Thank you x
Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Alana))) - Welcome to SR and congratulations on 14 days!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you . I am hoping this is just the start of my recovery . I hope it gets easier? Your hug and pray much needed , thanks again
A .
Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Alana))) - my DOC (drug of choice) was crack, and though it took a while, YES, it does get better. Most of us have abused something or other for years, and it takes our body's time to get used to NOT having that substance. SR has been a huge part of my recovery...you're not alone

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-07-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you. I have been reading through some of the posts. It has took me so long to realise that I have abused drink for years. I have always denied I have a problem , untill now .
I am so happy to hear that it does get better . I am happy it has got better for you .
I feel quite alone as my friends and family do not take my addiction seriously , even though I have got into trouble with the police. They do not believe I will never drink again!

I feel alone on this journey but I know I need the support to get through each day.
Thank you for taking the time out to reply to my post . All this is a little daunting for me...
Kind regards A
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
part time member

2 weeks is awesome! Just don't drink today. Lots of information and great help on this site.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Welcome Alana

Good job on the 1 days
Old 01-07-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Alana

D
Old 01-07-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Crazy isn't it Alana, worry, stress and anxiety will make you crazy but at the end of the day things will work out one way or another whether you worry or not, all the worry in the world rarely changes the outcome. Sometimes the old Que Sera Sera approach is the best one. Whatever will be will be. Here's that ages old song : Doris Day - Que Sera Sera - YouTube
Old 01-07-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

14 days is an amazing achievement! Be very proud of yourself, both for your sober time and for your commitment!

It does get much easier, but it's not all flowers and kittens. The physical side of things gets back on track quicker than the emotional/mental side (I found).

The best advice I can give you is to tell you that you need to somewhere, somehow remember why you are quitting. Not just because of one event, that isn't the reason. It sounds like you had a scary night in jail, but if it's only one thing that's keeping you sober... well, memories fade fast and I know I've gone sober over "events" a couple times, and it never lasts. The memory fades, and so does the association with alcohol.

Hang around here, we'll remind you of why you've quit If you're open to AA maybe seek out a group? Or another form of support group?

I'm 3 months in and there are moments when I feel so fantastically normal and serenely happy. Then there are moments that I feel murderous! It takes a while for the body and brain to repair, but even my bad moments are clear and nothing like the sloppy bad moments of before.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Alana - great to have you with us. I drank for over 25 yrs, thinking it was keeping me calm and helping me face my problems. My 'friend' eventually turned on me, and made my life a living hell. I was in jail briefly, too - and the shame of it made me want to get numb again - but facing what had happened with a clear head was the only answer. I knew I had to dig my way out & I couldn't fall back on my old crutch.

You can have a whole new life, Alana. We've all been where you are, & we look forward to helping you get back on your feet. There is hope - and it does get better as you come out of the fog.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Alana! SR is wonderful and I've found it to be very helpful I am not in AA or a part of a group but lots of people have positive experiences with it and other programs. Welcome to the forum! There's lots of great information here We're all here to support eachother. I'd probably be lost without it!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your welcome and advice. Day 15 today. I am stressed as the outcome of my night in jail will be delivered on Tuesday. It is one of the reasons I have stopped drinking and I am trying to get help but to be honest this decision has been coming for a long time! I just hope I can keep going. M y stress levels are through the roof ! I slept badly last night but I did not drink !
Well a new day , a new dawn !
Thank you for all the support . I am glad I googled recovery yesterday xI really believe I can do this now
Old 01-08-2012, 01:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your welcome and advice. Day 15 today. I am stressed as the outcome of my night in jail will be delivered on Tuesday. It is one of the reasons I have stopped drinking and I am trying to get help but to be honest this decision has been coming for a long time! I just hope I can keep going. My stress levels are through the roof ! I slept badly last night but I did not drink !
Well a new day , a new dawn !
Thank you for all the support . I am glad I googled recovery yesterday I really believe I can do this now
Old 01-08-2012, 01:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

opps sent it twice! Maybe that means I am twice as strong as I was yester day !!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Soon all of this will pass! Hang in there and wait for the storm to blow over. You are on the right track and making great progress!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You know Alana, all the thoughts that cause the stress and worry are just that... "Thoughts". In meditation the idea is to view them as an outside observer, recognize them for what they are "Just Thoughts" and let them flow out. If you don't allow them to take up residence by dwelling on them they lose their power. Try to sit quitely, focus on your breath and allow whatever thoughts are there to pass through, as an outside observer recognize the thoughts, ie. (There's the worry about my jail thing) and let the thought flow out. They do lose their power when viewed in this way.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you . I will try that and see if it can help.
My stress levels are very high , but I do need to reflect and try and put things into perspective
Old 01-08-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Alana and welcome to sobriety. Stay strong and don't drink.

This too shall pass
Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, Alana!

It's pretty stressful (and scary) to be sober at first. My emotions were all over the place for a while..... What helped me the most was to just take everything one day at a time and not take on too much - just be good to yourself and stay in the moment. (Eating something helps with the cravings, too).

Alcohol can only make any problem worse. I try to remember that when the old "voice in my head" thinks a drink would ease the situation. I just imagine going through the same situation with a hangover, and it makes the idea much less appealing.....

Glad you're here!