Notices

Young alcoholics thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Just thought i'd pop my head in this thread again..

I'm 24 and am now on day 79 sober ... Personally didn't think i'd make it this far, but one day at a time it's happened..

It's certainly getting easier,, if anything i'm completely put off by alcohol now, the thought of waking up sick again disgusts me :/.. I recently joined the gym which is something I never thought i'd get into.. I'm 6'1" and incredibly skinny so i'm massively enjoying my attempt at bodybuilding and it feels great.

When I was drinking I was probably only eating once a day/every two days.. So it feels good to be eating properly, putting on weight and muscle, and generally just feeling incredibly good about myself etc... I think testosterone is my new drug of choice

Hang in there guys
Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

Originally Posted by hirsty View Post
Just thought i'd pop my head in this thread again..

I'm 24 and am now on day 79 sober ... Personally didn't think i'd make it this far, but one day at a time it's happened..

It's certainly getting easier,, if anything i'm completely put off by alcohol now, the thought of waking up sick again disgusts me :/.. I recently joined the gym which is something I never thought i'd get into.. I'm 6'1" and incredibly skinny so i'm massively enjoying my attempt at bodybuilding and it feels great.

When I was drinking I was probably only eating once a day/every two days.. So it feels good to be eating properly, putting on weight and muscle, and generally just feeling incredibly good about myself etc... I think testosterone is my new drug of choice

Hang in there guys
Wow! Congrats on 79 days sober! I'm on Day 26 and can't even imagine looking that far ahead... which I know I'm not supposed to do anyway.

The gym is a life saver for me. It really makes me feel like I accomplished something positive every day when I finish there.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I'm 26 and I've been sober about 2 1/2 years. There have been a lot of temptations and stressful situations which my addictive mind tries to take advantage of. For me, the temptation is greatest before I go out to a party or a social situation where there will be drinking. Once I get there I've been able to work through how to buffer my mind against my addiction. I generally avoid a lot of those situations and people who introduce temptations. I got to a point recently where I had been through A LOT of craziness this year. However, I didn't drink. So I asked myself, "Am I recovered?" And just shrugged it off saying no, recovery is on-going. Then my addictive mind started making an appearance with a vengeance, making me think that beer would taste good or that drink my cousin made looks great, I should try one. I managed to shut it down by saying NO! and STOP!, but it was still there trying to trick me and manipulate me. My point is recovery is very rewarding and I am much more mentally, emotionally and physically healthy as a result of un-shackling myself. But we can never get complacent, especially we who are young because the temptations and struggles are more numerous. Mindfulness, therapy and a good support network have been critical for me since the start. I've always tried to take it one day at a time and now, even one moment at a time. If I can stay sober for just this moment, I am shielding against the darkness.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Random Guy

29 and started drinking occaisionally at around 16 then slowly progressed from there to drinking every day at around 24. I'm only now starting to realize how much of an effort it is to do something that is seemingly so simple.

Really how hard can it be to not do something, answer, f-ing difficult.

I wish I would have seen the signs and recognized my problem at some of your ages, so my hats off to you for doing so.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I'm 23 and just came back to this site yesterday... i'm 2 days sober now. I started drinking at 14, and was a daily drinker by 16. I have hidden my drinking well, but recently have gotten to the point where I can't hide it anymore. Showing up 3 hours late to work because I'm so hungover, getting trashed at holiday parties, skipping school, and generally giving up on my appearance. Luckily I've managed to finish college and am now on the way to 2 graduate degrees, and I have managed to hold onto a decent (though not great) job.

It's really nice to see other young people on here. For years I've ignored my problem because I always think, "I'm not an alcoholic, I'm too young! I just like drinking. A lot. Every day." Good luck to everyone
Old 12-07-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

24 here. Drank since I turned 21. Alcoholic drinking started almost immediately.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

If you can figure this out and start living sober in your early twenties you will save yourself a whole lot of nonsense and stress. Good luck! (from a 35 year old drunk).
Old 12-07-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I'm a 27 yr old alcoholic....have always been shy and had some social anxiety and came to rely on alcohol as a crutch over the past 7 years with predictable problems escalating each year. It started in college, so I can relate. I'd drink before work, dates, family events and was initially encouraged to continue because everyone just thought I was so naturally outgoing, charming and funny. Yeah..the stage where you can keep yourself together and fool people doesn't last long (if at all).
I got married a few months ago and was drunk the whole time, secretly drinking vodka before the ceremony had even started with a bottle I had hidden. I had to get up at 4am, leaving my new husband in bed, to drink to relieve my shaking, anxiety over what I'd done, and withdrawal. I've hidden bottles of alcohol under my mattress, in the closet/car(where husband would always find them), in bags random places along the side of the road so I could pick it up when I was alone, and in a restaurant bathroom that we frequent so I could get my high before we met anyone without them seeing me drink too much at dinner. Typing all this just now is just horribly amazing to come to terms with and motivation to stay clean.
I'm currently trying to get through my 2nd day sober after a nasty relapse that caused my school to suspend me and they're currently considering whether to let me come back bc I was clearly f-d up at school 3 days straight (the amazing thing is I had no idea anyone had a clue, thinking I was so sneaky...the power of denial!)...so I'm super nervous and anxious awaiting their decision which is making it really hard to stay clean, but I'm doing it so far.
I know it feels like so much of life has been ruined already- but that mindset is detrimental- like the old "well I already had 1 shot today, the whole day's ruined, so why not keep going?".. But I feel like there's still so much ahead and to look forward to- time to thrive and be truly happy and alive (especially some of you really young ones). I'm not preaching, trust me, just trying to stay positive!
Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:32 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

25 years old, been sober for about 8 months. Have been going to AA meetings but not really working the steps, am trying to get into that now. I get moments where I feel so good in sobriety, like I finally know what was causing me all that discomfort in my own skin for so long, and I feel at peace with calling myself an alcoholic. Then other days, like today, I'm like "WTF, I'm 25 and in AA? When did I start taking myself so seriously? Shouldn't I just enjoy my 20's now while I'm still pretty young and free of too much responsibility (no family, kids, house payment, etc)"

I'm enjoying this thread though, most of the meetings I go to consist of people who are considerably older than myself, so it's good to know that there are other young people doing this
Old 12-08-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

Originally Posted by comanche View Post
25 years old, been sober for about 8 months. Have been going to AA meetings but not really working the steps, am trying to get into that now. I get moments where I feel so good in sobriety, like I finally know what was causing me all that discomfort in my own skin for so long, and I feel at peace with calling myself an alcoholic. Then other days, like today, I'm like "WTF, I'm 25 and in AA? When did I start taking myself so seriously? Shouldn't I just enjoy my 20's now while I'm still pretty young and free of too much responsibility (no family, kids, house payment, etc)"

I'm enjoying this thread though, most of the meetings I go to consist of people who are considerably older than myself, so it's good to know that there are other young people doing this
Hey comanche. I'm 30 and I really wish I could say, "WTF, I'm 25 and in AA?" I'd much rather have gotten sober (or tried) when I was 25 rather than now. That would have saved me 5 years of my life, numerous friends, numerous girlfriends, cars, homes, jobs, my license. I know sometimes it seems like it sucks but some day I think you'll look back on this and see it as a blessing.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Well. I know as a fact for being 27 myself that AA was the best choice for me and a life saving solution. Nearly drinking myself to death 4 months ago was hell. I remember so later on in my sober life that when I last drank. I was aiming to drink myself to death till I died. But stopped. I almost succeeded! it was scary. Dying from alcohol is not a great way. My body was on edge of death and I knew it. ANyway past is the past. Im doing great now and thankful that I don't have to deal with alcohol so early in life now, just wasn't meant to be which Im okay with because when I was drunk. I was an a hole. Even though in my own sick mind I was having "fun" alot of people didn't like me when drunk. Thanks all for reading and I wish everyone another 24 hours of being sober
Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

It is a stupid excuse that the media gives us to go and poison ourselves just because we're in our "20's" or in "college". Drinking has taken so much away from me, Im 24 and I look at people my age and realize they are being rewarded for not partying it up in their early 20's. It's depressing to know I struggle with alcohol addiction this early in my life. I've been sober this year for 6 months...6 months since the age of 14! That came to a crash on my 24th birthday. I've had two seizures, trips to the E.R., failed college courses, loss of friends and most of all many oppurtunities. We know we have addicitive personalities, I know I can't go to a club and cradle a drink or enjoy a beer during the game because I become pre-occupied with the next drink. Music, movies and environments have encouraged me to drink and told me it was alright. We might not look like alcoholics or talk like them but we are and when we forget the world makes sure it reminds us we were piecing together the night before with guilt shame and being physically sick. I always wanted to blame someone or something for my drinking and for the first time Im realizing I should blame alcohol. Nothing is more desirable in good or bad times then that initial buzz making me feel warm and happy. But I remind myself everything that starts sweet ends bitter and everything that starts bitter ends sweet. I was once sober for 6 months and I remember it started off horrible but the confidence I had at the end let me sit in a room with people getting intoxicated and enjoying myself. When your at the bottom it only gets better, if being sober now is painful, lonely and sad, its only going to get better. Remember at one time alcohol wasn't a problem in our lives and now look at the destruction its left.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

Why not save our lives while we still have our lives to live?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I'm twenty-four. I started drinking when I was fifteen or sixteen, but at that time it was a rare occasion. My problem with drinking began when I had turned twenty-one. Given the opportunity to legally purchase alcohol, I began to buy a six-pack of beer pretty much every night after work.

That's pretty much where it stood until I quit. I did some bar hopping once in awhile, but I would mostly drink alone. Fortunately, I had never broken any crimes while drinking, but I would use this as a crutch to suspend my belief that I had a problem.

I quit because I was neglecting my own health. I realized that I am not invincible. If I had continued binge drinking I would not only ruin my body and mental stability, but also the relationship with my partner. I started running, I went back to school, I found myself in situations where I know I need to wake up with a clear head and an open mind.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, I'm John and a 24 year old alcoholic.

I started drinking when I was about 15 and it became serious by the age of about 21. For the most part I've drank at least a bottle of wine, sometimes 2, every night for as long as I can remember. Larger too, pretty much everything. I have bad anxiety and use alcohol to self medicate. I can't leave the house without being "on" something - be it tranquilizers or booze or both.

The last 2 years have been the worst. After a year of being alone and isolated at home due to crippling anxiety, I finally saw a psychiatrist who would prescribe me tranqualizers. They worked like magic and I was able to go out and party with my friends again.

At this point I took things too far, excited with my newfound freedom, I went on massive booze, drug benders with my mates. I cracked my head open. Things got even worse when my mum got sectioned last Christmas. The memories are very disturbing. Drinking got worse.

Was rude to people for no reason, got arrested, random drunken fights with friends. I went to hospital to detox but the moment I left I went straight to the pub. Went to hospital again, relapsed again. I'm ashamed of myself, have almost zero confidence. Alcohol has taken away my self esteem. I really don't know what to do. Here in England alcohol is everywhere, everything revolves around it. New Years coming up but not going out because I don't want to drink. I'm here for help and support if anyone can offer it. I also would like to speak with people with similar problems and will help out in any way I can. I'm not asking for sympathy and I feel like a total *****. I want to stop because I am worried about my health and my family are worried about me.

This really is the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. I've been addicted to weed, coke and used to take exctasy every weekend but managed to quit all those. Alcohol is just so hard to give up. Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to share my story.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
kiddo

I'm Emma, I'm 17. I've been drinking since I was 15, and due to stress and depression and anxiety I've been drinking more heavily over this year. The last 6 months I would say I have been drinking every day, varying between 3 - 10 drinks depending on what I could find. Mixes of vodka, whiskey, run, grappa, and beer generally. Every few weeks, even though I would be steadily drinking, I sometimes binge and drink until I pass out or forget the night. When I can't drink, I either abuse prescription painkillers or sleeping pills.

I'm dealing with the anxiety and depression, and I'm hoping that next year I will be on my way to living without this all.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
I'm trying to try.

I'm 22 and just coming back after a 4 month relapse.
I started drinking again in late July. In mid August I hit a mailbox while driving drunk. Two weeks later I got arrested for DUI. And four days after that I was arrested again for assault. I had never been arrested or in trouble before. Drinking sends me on a rapid downward spiral. This time I was drinking more than ever and I was way more out of control. I turned 22 in October and spent my birthday at home coming off a 5 day binge.
Anyway, I was forced into treatment by the court which turned out to be a blessing.
I'm here, I'm 3 weeks sober and I just got my driver license restored.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

I'm 21, I started drinking at nine (young I know) and it gradually progressed to me being a 19 year old who was getting wasted nearly every night. Getting arrested (three times), getting into a nasty car accident and several small ones, and dragging myself to work hungover every day didn't snap me out of it until I was a few months shy of 20, when it finally started occurring to me that the way I drank was indeed, not normal. I tried to get sober and succeeded for awhile, relapsed after a few months. Tried again, even nastier withdrawal then the first, and made it to nearly six months, then relapsed again with a vengeance, started drinking even more heavily then before and also experimenting with other drugs (benzos and opiates mainly).
But I think I've got it right this time.

Best wishes to all on your sobriety
Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Meeeee. (:

I think I've posted a total of one other time on this forum, a year ago after getting my 2nd, yes SECOND DWI on January 4th, 2011. Totaled my car in the process. I am now almost a year into my 2-year license suspension and things have finally started looking up. I was forced into rehab the first part of last year as an alternative to a sentence of jail time. HATED it. Not rehab in general but the one I went to was horrible and filled with people who didn't care, including my counselor. Kept (secretly) drinking (and trying to stop) until November when something inside of me clicked. I haven't had a drink in almost 2 months and I am happier now than I have been in the few years since I began drinking heavily. It's not always easy and I know it's still early but I love my sobriety.

I am a 22-year old girl, a full-time business management student, and working full-time as well. Staying busy is a huge contributor to my sobriety. I'm glad there are others my age on here as I don't really have anyone in 'real life' who understands.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I am 25 and have been drinking for 10 years.. Started when I was in high school hanging out with the wrong group of girls. We were losers and good girls at school, but hard partiers on the weekend. So nobody suspected a thing. Got into the rave scene and "candies" from age 16 to 19, but when I turned legal drinking age (19 in Canada), alcohol was my drug of choice. I finished college at the top of the class, but was a binging alcoholic on the weekends. Started drinking intensely last summer after I got laid off and managed to stay sober for a few months, now trying to work on it again. Its been a hard road. When I was 19 my Dr. said my liver was in bad shape, it eventually got better but I don't want to go back down the road of self destruction... I am lucky I have no public intoxication charges or anything. I am not sure how to meet other friends my age, they're all either in long-term relationships or married, or having kids... Going clubbing is no option here, I am the oldest girl at the club (full of 19 year olds). This is an odd age for sure.