Notices

Young alcoholics thread

Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It's great you started this thread! I don't fit in your age bracket but my son does. He is almost 20, in college and I worry that he smokes to much pot. And with me being a slowly recovering alcoholic I hope he gets it like you guys did sooner rather than later. Good luck to all of you!
Old 11-19-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good thread I've just turned 28, and Ive been drinking since I was 14, drugs everything and everytime I goto rehab come out dry, I just feel like a social outcast everyone drinks but not like me once I take one drink thats it 3-4 month bender, then I have too be detoxed again. Im from England basically everything revolves around drinking you go play sport everyone goes for a drink after any excuse. Its Friday oh lets get drunk. Fed up of using excuses too drink. At 26 I had a 50/50 chance of living cuz my liver was really bad on the verge of failing, I went yellow and had ascites I didnt know If i was gonna make that day.

And the funny thing is I picked up a drink again and again no matter how ill I get just carry on regardless. I dont think it matters how old you are if you wanna live you will live if you wanna die you'll die.

Sorry if ive lowered the tone of the thread but thats how it is for me.

I'll leave on a good note, Ive still got time on my side hopefully. Actually that is probably an excuse for a drink. I dont know.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Im John 25 years old and and alcoholic. just about six months sober now. I don't ever want to go back. Ive been trying to quit drinking or drugging for a few years now but never really got it or had the desperation to really do it until now. I would always try to give up drinking while smoking buds and that would work for awhile then I would start drinking again, or I would try to stop doing hard drugs like oxy or coke/crack by just drinking it was never an honest effort to quit all mind altering substances altogether for good one day at a time. Now that Ive made the decision I couldn't be happier. My life is not perfect but at least I have a chance now to make things better for myself. When I was drinking and drugging I never would have had a chance at that. I failed and gave up at community college when I was drinking, went to technical school for a trade got a good job as an air conditioning mechanic and was doing great for awhile but got my third dui arrest and screwed things up once again. Now that im sober and dealing with drivers license issues im back in college and doing well. One day at a time.

ETA yes it is hard on the social life, I am the youngest person at nearly every meeting i go to with at least a 10 year age difference between me and the average age of most of the people there. I do still hang with some of my friends I used and drank with but they are life long good friends and one doesn't drink alcoholically and doesn't drink or use around me and the other may or may not have an alcohol problem but I don't hang with him if hes drinking heavily.
-John
Old 11-19-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NeverLookinBack View Post
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to see how many people are on this board who are in recovery and in their late teens/early twenties/mid twenties, or let's say between the ages of 18-25. It would be cool if everyone who was between this age group just stopped in and dropped a line.

I am 22 years young, and I am an alcoholic. I also was addicted to meth and abused pot during my teen years. I drank heavily for over 4 years, and it almost killed me. It was by far the most harmful drug I ever became addicted to. I became a daily drinker almost instantly after I began to drink socially at the age of 18, and spent the next 4 1/2 years of my life in and out of rehabs, mental institutions, and emergency rooms. However, I now understand and see how much harm I was doing to myself, my girlfriend and my family, so I made the decision to quit. As a young man, it is hard to stay sober, but I know I have to be sober if I want to live a good and successful life. Alcohol took a vicious toll on me in just under half a decade. I am so glad I am sober today (today is day 10 for me after my last relapse).

Well, that's my story. I hope everyone who is between 18-25 posts something. This way, we can see that we are not the only ones out there who are trying to achieve sobriety at a young age. I'm also kind of curious how many of us are on this site. So please, if you are 18-25 and are in recovery, please drop by.
I would get into a support group like AA. I am in my early thirties but I would suggest that you find some good support to help you.

Also, if there is a large university next to you, like say, in Nebraska. You will have a lot better chance of finding people your age there. I have been to meetings across the street from large universities and there are loads of young folks that show up to them.

Just my two cents of course.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

29... old

But keep it up all y'all youngsters... truth is I wish I had sobered up back then... might have taken to it easier.

Take care,
TB
Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm 24 years old and i'll have a year sober on december 12th. We have a very big young peoples group in my area which is really helpful. If you haven't looked for one near you I encourage you to do so. When I was just going to regular aa meetings I found it difficult to find people to actually hang out with outside the meetings.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
LBW

I just turned 31. I still feel like I'm in my mid-twenties. All that heavy drinking I did this last decade made the years go by fast... too fast... I guess maybe because there were so many blackouts and days spent completely hung over and useless. It seems like yesterday I graduated college.

Good luck to all you teen and twenty year olds... I hope you don't waste any more young years on this stupid alcoholism.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am WAAAAAAAY past the cutoff date, but I hope it is okay if I pop in here and just say I am amazed at the young people in the rooms. You guys bring new ideas and energy and I have tremendous admiration for all of you!
Old 11-20-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone who decided to pop in this message board and give your stories. Once again, I want to say that anyone in their teens or twenties is welcome. In addition, if you are older than 30 and just want to talk about your experiences as a young drinker then that is greatly appreciated as well. I did not mean to sound exclusive in my first post by talking about an age limit. If you ever had a problem drinking when you were younger, or if you are a young person with a drinking problem, or if you are a person who is older who has advice/stories/whatever come on in. Sit down, share your story, I for one will greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Ghost in limbo

Its great to see that theres a thread for younger alcoholics. For years I knew that my drinking was a major problem, being that I couldnt keep a job for more than three months before going on yet another bender, or being drunk at work. Even when going through a 1.75L of vodka every day and a half, I still couldnt consciously admit it.
This year, I've been in the hospital three times, suicide attempt (plenty that no one knew about) drunk in public (was at a .42 so they had no choice but to take me to the er) and just days ago I was brought to detox after showing up at a friends place drunk and suicidal.
Aside from the insane drinking, I've also had a decade long struggle with anorexia and self mutilation..basically going all out with anything detremental in the hopes that it will kill me this time.

I feel really lame because I dont know how to end this post. Its just good to know that theres others out there who have had the same and similar struggles, who have somehow recovered or are on the road to a better life.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm 26, and coming up on 6 months on the 1st. The 1st half of my 20's are a giant blur, but these past 5 months have been thrilling. I've made friends in sobriety who have been such an amazing support system to me. I don't know what I would have done w/o them! Coming to these boards and connecting with people from all over the world who are living in/striving for sobriety is a blessing too! AA had been my rock, and I'm very grateful to this program of recovery. In the past, it was hard to imagine doing ANYTHING w/o alcohol. I thought it impossible to have fun otherwise. What I have found, in fact, is that I'm having more fun than ever before and I'm remembering what it's like to TRUELY enjoy myself and others again.

For those of you who are in your first days of recovery, just keep going. Trust me, if I can do it, you can too.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Del. You don't have to live in misery any more. Instead of just putting the drink down, I finally saw the joyous life I didn't know possible when I started working a program of recovery. Have you thought about a program yet?

I encourage you to start looking into one. I used AA and counseling right off the bat, and I couldn't have made it without them. The principles I've come to understand through the 12 steps have given me much of the growth I need to maintain a healthy, sane life. There are also other ways to recover - you might find it helpful to check out the Secular Connections forum, too. I wish you the best, and feel free to PM me anytime you want. There are many folks here that are living proof that recovery is possible no matter what you've been through. Hope to see you keep posting
Old 11-21-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I was 22 when I sobered up. I'm now 18 years sober, so I'm not as young anymore. Still feel young if that counts!
Old 11-21-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm 28, and sober almost a month. Really seems like the time is flying by, but I am present for it now, which is nice. Looking back I now realise that I had some drinking issues for a long time, and before that with pot. But it's nice to be sober now and looking forward to it getting better and better!

It really is a bit tough here in England, but the good people will want to hang out with you regardless I think.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm 25 and will have 6 months of sobriety on December 1st. (It seems like there are quite a few of us in this thread that got sober around the same time!)

Like others have said, it definitely IS difficult to be young and sober. I had to make some major life changes besides just 'not drinking'. I changed my living situation and my priorities in life...after (almost) 6 months I feel like a completely different person. It's amazing.

Good luck to you!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good news for you under 30 crowd. Your body is in much better condition to recover quickly if you quit now. I am 38 and I quit when I was 37. I drank pretty heavily on weekends throughout my 20s and 30s and I didn't really see any unusual medical symptoms until I was about 35. Your brain, body, and liver are very resilient when you are young, but it doesn't last. This is not a reason to test these limits in your 20s--just saying that you have a chance to turn your life around completely if you realize you have an issue when you are young. Internet groups like this didn't exist in my 20s; I wish they did. I still caught it in time, but I can say that your body can take way more abuse in your 20s, less in your 30s, and much less in your late 30s and 40s. Don't waste your prime being drunk.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well I just turned 26. I think I read somewhere on here, where somebody said they had a harder time conversing/hanging out at the regular AA meetings. I just started going. I have only been about 6 times to this same place. So far im the youngest one in there by far. Not that that matters much to me at all, but im starting to feel they are generally coming up up to ones, wanting to talk to ones they know really well, are friends with, went to school with (by some stories) the ones who have been there for years and what not. I just kind of walked in one day and had to make myself even do that for the first time. First time was cool, got a 24 hour chip, the 12 step book and stayed way after talking to this one person. Only saw him one other time after that. The rest of the times I just kind of came, listened, and went. I don't have a sponsor or anything there yet. Anyways I also still need to make a formal intro. I was just drawn to this particular thread first, and thought I would throw my 2 cents in here. Take care everybody, younger and older.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drug addict, but any thread title with the word "young" in it catches my eye.
I'm 18, almost 3 months clean... been in and out of alot of things except jail, I managed to avoid that one.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey lightattheend welcome... glad to hear you are attending AA... you might want to scout out a few meetings before you commit to one, if the one you are at seems clicky it probably isn't ideal for a newcomer... good luck

Clayton
Old 11-24-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks bro. Yeah im looking into it. I was thinking about going to that one place at LEAST one more time, seeing if i can catch that one guy there and ask him some more questions about a few various places he told me about before. Was the only one I ever really talked to at all, gave me the chip and the book and all that, but i havent seen em since. Even so, if hes not there, I will just scout out the other places myself in town. I also got a few other new ideas, but yeah the one place just hasnt been clicking lately as a newcomer place really, one way or another it was a start I suppose. Take care.