Notices

Young alcoholics thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

no one has posted for a long time but i am a young alcoholic... i am 19 years old and have been drinking since i was 14... it didn't get bad until the summer i turned 17 because i began hanging out with friend who were of age and would buy alcohol for me so we could party. i didn't think any thing of it really until i was blacking out almost everyday and when i would wake up in the morning i would just want to drink, that went on for about 3 months until this girl i met while on my first binge told me she thought i had a problem... so i stopped, at the time it wasn't a big deal to me... i felt like its just alcohol, whatever, i can do it. WRONG. me and the girl got into a fight so i went back to my "old" friends and so began my drinking again... this time around though, i was in school again so i would get done school, go to my friends and drink. i never blacked out during that point, except on the weekends, i had it somewhat under control but i was drinking everyday and my tolerance was becoming unbelievable. again though, i didn't see a problem with it cause i was working and doing well in school, although i knew my motivation for both were dwindling but it was my senior year so i really didn't care. i got accepted to college and such so i looked at my drinking as ok but it wasn't because that's when all my relationship started to go downhill... i never wanted to be home or around really any family members at all cause when i was sober they would annoy and **** me off, i lied to mom my mom constantly for no reason, i started hanging out with only people who i knew could get alcohol and ditching all my real friends, the one relationship i was actually committed to trying i messed up because i couldn't stay sober and would lie about it and inevitably get caught. but i did manage to go through 1 semesters of college though until that girl i previously mentioned came back into my life and she tried to actually help me stay sober but i just wasn't ready so i did anyway in retaliation, i guess that's what it was. but not shortly after i got obliterated and we got into a HUGE fight and she has not talked to me since. did my drinking stop? nope. i did fail out of college though. that's when i started faking my sobriety, i told basically everyone that i sober but i was drinking secretly, that's when i really started thinking it was a problem, but i kept that up for awhile but i missed partying with my friends so that ended pretty quickly... im at the point where i haven't drank for about 12 hours now and i know that isn't much but i have no job, no education, and i feel basically completely alone. i have been to the bottom of too many bottles and this is where it has gotten me. my life is the lowest its ever been and its because i couldn't accept that i have a drinking problem... i have now though because i think i have known for awhile but i just couldn't accept it because i am so young and most people don't understand... so heres to not drinking and my sobritey!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR, justariel510!

I hope you can find the help you need to stay sober.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:47 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome justariel

I think support is pretty important - it's pretty hard to change your life.

You'll find a lot of support here but have you any plans for support beyond this website? You might find some reallife support helps too

good to have you with us
D
Old 10-14-2011, 04:40 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

justariel510....Welcome to our recovery community....

I hope you will check out your local AA groups....lots of people there who understand and are supportive.
Please keep posting with us too..many of us are winning over alcohol...so can you...
Old 10-14-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Yup, I'm 21 1/2 and have been drinking fairly heavily since I turned 21, and it's accelerated in the past month... I'm drinking every day now =O I feel as though I'm no longer in the driver's seat, I'm just onlooking what I realize could easily become a trainwreck. =/
Old 10-14-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I'm 25 and 18 months.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

24 years old and 27 days sober after drinking pretty much daily since i was 18...

Is definitely very hard at this age,, nearly every single person i know my age is into clubs and pubs,, and i love them aswell, but it is certainly difficult being in clubs and pubs with a sober head on... It's not that i'm tempted to drink as such, just really don't like being around drunk people much anymore, they're too unpredictable..

I'm glad this thread has popped up, because i would love to talk to more recovering alcoholics around my age group, i'm easily the youngest person in my home AA group by about 10 years
Old 10-14-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

28 here, but heck, I'm still a young'un compared to my other half

I love that so many people are facing their alcoholism so early. It's a great sign of the times I think. I have also noticed (in Australia anyway) that there are very few young people who smoke. I was in Uni finishing my degree as a "mature age" student of 26. I noticed that during the mid class break that my fellow 18-20 year old students would stay inside and chat, while outside it was me and the lecturer as the only smokers.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

27 here! I wish I would've quit at 25 but I Was pretty deep in denial then. I feel really good about the 3 months I've spent sober. Also, I quit less than a week before my 27th bday so I can say I haven't had a drink since I've been this age, which is silly, but I like it!
Old 10-15-2011, 01:08 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

22 here! Started drinking when I was about 15, but the drinking turned into binges about 2 years ago. Been sober for 3 weeks now and have been going to AA meetings everyday. Life is looking A LOT better. Being in college and being young, it's hard to be one of the only people I know that doesn't drink/smoke weed. Sometimes when I think that I don't fit in anymore, I remember how much I REALLY didn't fit in when I was a blackout drunk.
Looking forward to my new life
Old 10-15-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I'm also in my early 20s and today is day 5. I started heavily drinking in college (still not sure how I graduated, it's a mystery) and then once I was done with college, I noticed I stopped going to the bars. I just bought huge handles of vodka and drank them alone at home after work. Then it turned into starting in the morning. Then out of nowhere, I was drunk whenever I wasn't at work. I haven't had more than 10 sober days in the past 3 years.

EVERY SINGLE morning I woke up with a hangover, I would say to myself "...ok, today is the day I quit". But then I would be drinking again the minute I got home from work. I've probably "tried" to quit 1000+ times.

Well the breaking point for me was a recent blood test I had. It showed huge, undeniable evidence of liver damage. The enzyme levels were way out of wack. I always thought of myself as young and healthy and resilient and could drink/smoke whatever I wanted, but this blood test really showed how flawed/delusional my alcohol addiction has made me.

So yeah, it's my first sober Saturday in over a year. It's funny because it's 9:15 AM right now, and I've made breakfast, taken a shower, read the paper, and checked my emails already. Usually on Saturdays, I'm in bed until noon!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so glad to see young members who are participating in this thread

Please do keep shareing so it will remain active.
Congratulations to everyone for chooseing a clean and sober future...:
Old 10-15-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Im 24 and on day 3 this time around. I got heavily into drinking every day when I was 16 up until Jan 2010 when I first attempted to get sober and that lasted for a couple months then was back drinkin until last Dec and that was another couple months and been struggling ever since. Ive had several day 1's but keep trying and learning more things about staying sober. This time around I am part of the Oct class in another thread and tryin to check in here on a daily basis to keep focused on my recovery. I have made a lot of bad choices while drinking and lost friends and been extremely rude to family members while drunk and do not want to continue that way.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I'm 27, but I was 24 when I was addicted and got help for the first time. I did spend 4 weeks not in "rehab" but intaken in hospital for depression and anxiety, which they assumed was the reason I started drinking in the first place. (they detoxed me at home first) I have been sober after that for quite a while. Relapsed recently (some months ago) thinking I could just have a "social" drink again. I kinda quit on my own using some of my anti-anxiety medication. I was on a good path, but relapsed recently on an all-inclusive vacation. Reasons? Well I guess we always find some: my grandfather had recently been in hospital, I couldn't get the image out of my head from when I had to call 100 (which is like 911), the alcohol was everywhere, even in liquor dispensers in my room. Then I caught a bacterial infection, been in hospital there and was flewn home earlier.. where I couldn't stop anymore even though I didn't even enjoy the taste anymore. Even before getting a chance to tell this to my psychiatrist, my doctor (who was to follow up on the bacterial infection) already noticed. She saw I couldn't get out and that I was going right back into withdrawal if I tried. She helped me out with the needed medication until I saw my psychiatrist. So now I'm back on day erm.. 10

I did my first online SMART meeting yesterday, which I must say was interesting. It's the only one in the week that I can attend tho, die to time zones. I wish they had real life ones over here.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I'm 28. All I have to say that it just gets worse when you get older if you continue to drink if you already know you have a problem. Drinking stopped being fun for me because half of the time, something really bad happened when I drank way too much and got drunk. The other half of the time when nothing bad happened, I put myself in situations that were very dangerous and possibly life-threatening (i.e. driving drunk, hanging out with shady, dangerous and unpredictable people as "drinking buddies") and, by the grace of God, nothing bad happened.

Living without alcohol as a young person is very possible. I've been going to AA meetings for about a month. There are a ton of young people meetings where I live in the DC Area. I went to my first sober house party yesterday with about a hundred plus people in their late teens and 20's and a few early 30's. It was a lot of fun. It was just the same as a house party with music, girls and tons of people, just there wasn't any liquor. At a regular house party with tons of booze, I probably would have embarrassed myself by getting too drunk and trying to chat up an attractive girl (or a girl that looked 20 times better with beer goggles on) in a rude way and got dissed, almost get into a fight and end up throwing up and hungover for 2 days with the possibility of a getting a DUI or crashing my car. I didn't have to worry about any of that yesterday at the sober party where everyone was still dancing, freestyle rapping and having a good time.

I bet you there are many youth AA meetings you can go to meet people your age and make new friends. These people will help keep you sober! They know what you are going through and want to help because they were just like you not too long ago. Where I live, there are youth AA meetings everyday and cookouts and parties every week. Btw, I was born in the Bay Area too! Frisco to be exact! There has got to be some good fellowship programs out there for young people.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Also 29 here... Total alcoholic, about 8 days sober. My last binge lasted around a week, and the withdrawals were worse than ever! I'm starting to see the light again though, and its wonderful. This time around, I sought more support (including the SR community) and saw my doctor. I start on Camprol on Monday, so I feel like I have some new weapons at my disposal, very exciting times! Alcohols been killing people off for millenia, I just made a decision not to be one of em' :P
Old 10-15-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I'm 20 now, started drinking at 15, became slowly heavier until last year, I became almost totally alcoholic. Sober since 22nd August and turning my life around now, keep it going guys, it's worth it.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:05 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Post Re:Young alcoholics thread

I'm old...let's leave it at that. There are a lot of young people on this board who have similar stories, so you shouldn't have any trouble connecting with those "young people". No resentment...really.

I wish you the best...as always

~God bless~
Old 10-16-2011, 12:12 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Post Re:Young alcoholics thread

No offense...

Old 10-16-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Hooligan

I haven't been on this site in probably six months but I figured I would stop into this thread to post for a bit. I'm 24 with a year of sober time, no meetings or groups it just clicked. I think about having a "drink" every now and then, but always decide its not worth it. Life is so much simpler without...