# 41 (permalink)  

25...yes! I made it!
Old 11-28-2009, 12:54 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard thrasher...
Old 11-28-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LightAtTheEnd View Post
Well I just turned 26. I think I read somewhere on here, where somebody said they had a harder time conversing/hanging out at the regular AA meetings. I just started going. I have only been about 6 times to this same place. So far im the youngest one in there by far. Not that that matters much to me at all, but im starting to feel they are generally coming up up to ones, wanting to talk to ones they know really well, are friends with, went to school with (by some stories) the ones who have been there for years and what not. I just kind of walked in one day and had to make myself even do that for the first time. First time was cool, got a 24 hour chip, the 12 step book and stayed way after talking to this one person. Only saw him one other time after that. The rest of the times I just kind of came, listened, and went. I don't have a sponsor or anything there yet. Anyways I also still need to make a formal intro. I was just drawn to this particular thread first, and thought I would throw my 2 cents in here. Take care everybody, younger and older.
When I first started going, I always arrived right on time and left immediatly after the meeting. I finally made myself stick around and talk to people after meetings. I was so uncomfortable. I'm shy by nature, so I know how uncomfortable you may feel. 6 months later, those people are now a second family to me. Just stick around after meetings.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Im Patrick 22 years old and i got tired of drinking away life im a little over 7 months "Dry" now and slowly working my steps to enter the "sober" way of life.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am 24, turning 25 in June 2010. I got an ARD DUI in 2007 and was just arrested for DUI 12/26/2009. I have not had a sip since then. When I was first arrested and went through the process I thought I had just made a mistake in driving and that I was a victim of my stupidity and bad luck to get pulled over.

Now I realize I am an alcoholic. I have been attending AA and not drinking one day at a time. I don't have any real bad urges to drink really. But when I do drink I do stupid stuff. My judgment fades away and dumb stuff happens.

AA has been great and it helping me. I am probably going to lose my license for at least a year now. It really sucks because I will be getting my BS in Environmental Science in May. I was all set to start my career and life and now I messed it all up. I will be stuck at home with my parents if I am lucky and they don't give me the boot when I tell them about my DUI.

It has been very stressful, I have had a hard time eating or sleeping because I am so stressed and depressed. On the bright side I am losing weight though!

But I am trying to renew my faith and get back to where I was before I got into alcohol. AA is helping with how I feel about life a lot. I just need to keep strong and get better. I realize that all this crap I will go through with the license, probation, fines, etc is going to make my life hell for a while, but it will be good for me.

I have finally admitted I have a problem to myself and some others and I am going to get over it. The crappy 1-2 years will I hope be rewarded by allowing me to live happier and longer in sobriety than I would have as an alcoholic. I am also grateful that I only hurt myself and did not crash my Jeep.

The night I got my 2nd DUI I had a .29 bac. By gods good graces I pulled off the road into someones driveway, parked, pocketed my keys and fell asleep to awaken to a cop knocking on my window.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi my name is Justin and I too am an alcoholic... Im 25 years old and haven't been dry that long yet but it has been off and on... I still try to test my denial that I'm not an alcoholic but I am. It's embarrassing to say at such a young age, but I believe it is better. When you are older you don't have that much time left to enjoy your sober life. I haven't started AA yet because I don't have a vehicle because I wrecked it driving drunk like an idiot. I also got a DWI and thought that would change me. It did because I got on some Lexa for my depression and was straight for about 30 days then I started drinking again! I started slow but I began my old closet drinking habits. Anyways Im excited and I feel more motivated than I ever have before.... I plan to attend the AA meetings at the college I go to here in Texas. And actually not be embarrassed. And its really nice to meet you guys!!

Much love
Justin
Old 01-16-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Justin
Hope to see you around some more

D
Old 01-16-2010, 08:51 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm 24, and have been sober for coming up on 3 years.

Getting sober at any age is "difficult", but living sober is a blast for me, in spite of the fact that most of my peers still "party". I was able to go back to school and graduate in sobriety, and I had a great time doing it.

However, I honestly don't think it would have been possible without the 12 step program of recovery. I know someone mentioned earlier that it is too religious, and that is simply not an accurate description. If that's deterring anyone from going to AA, then you might want to get a copy of the basic AA text, the "big book", and read it. I came into AA a buddhist leaning agnostic, and remain a buddhist leaning agnostic. With an awesome life full of real happiness and satisfaction. that didn't come from meetings or internet discussion forums, but from changing the way I lived my life. the steps showed me how to do that, and they are not exclusive to us young 'uns. Best of luck to everyone here!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:12 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Justin and welcome.

There's some young recovering alcoholics posting in the Newcomers forum.

It's great that you are motivated and planning on going to meetings
Old 01-17-2010, 02:14 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic, I am 23 years old. Same old story, hoping to get a week off from work and start my first detox program soon. Been drinking for about 6 years, excessively for 3 years, and everyday for almost 2 years.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:36 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

24 yearold recovering alcoholic. 6 months sober.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

At 50, I am definitely past the young peoples age. However, I want all to know that it can be done. I celebrated 24 yrs sobriety in Sept, 2009. I came to AA for my first time at the age of 21. I was sober for 23 months and returned to drinking. I came back at the age of 26 and have been sober since.

Alcoholism can progress rapidly in some and a little slower in others. I drank for 12 years, but reached the point of unemployable and unable to stop. If i could not get the alcohol from the liquor stores, I would shop at the drug stores. I too have seen the insides of jails, detoxes and psychiatric hospitals. I used the AA 12 step program to sober up and still use it to maintain my sobriety.

I am now married, with two children, one who attends University. I have a professional designation, own a house and have two cars. I also have a motorcycle that my wife and I take trips on. I received all this AFTER I got sober. I do not tell you this to brag. I always believed I would feel better after I got these. In the end, I got these after I felt better.

I could not go back to drinking, if I wanted to. The obsession was removed and though I can still get a little weird, I don't have to drink.

God speed to all the young people who have come. There is hope AND a future.

Ward
Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Im 25 and have started drinking heavy at around the age of 18. Between then and now i've lost jobs, money, dignity, been in hospital, and screwed up my liver.

Until recently i gave up for around 2 years, only a drink here and there, nothing heavy. Never felt better. But, I relapsed. The drinking slowley got heavier and heavier until i was drinking to the point of black out again. I forgot how crap a hangover feels. I never seem to learn.

This is definitely the last time.

Good luck to everybody else here. It's hard to see that things will get better when recovering, but they do.
Much, much better.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I'm 23 and today is only day 5 for me. I drank on a daily basis ever since I was 16. I can't belive I made it thru this weeked fri n sat night especially without drinking, I've never done that before! Ofcourse that means I didn't even go out those nights. All of the friendships I've had over the past like 7 years have revolved around drinking so I don't have any sober friends or any friends that have an occasional drink wich equals me not being around them this weekend. But I rather be bored doing nothing then still drinking all day everyday..
Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

25 here and sober. The age thing doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but for most younger ppl. the consequences aren't yet at the point where they feel like they need to quit I think. I started going hard around 14 so I was ready for recovery by 24. I think it takes a certain amount of pain to stop and stay stopped. For me, alcy and drugs stopped working and I felt awful.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:54 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I can relate to that hendershot. I agree with having to reach the stage where the pain of it all just gets too much and you are ready to say enough is enough and act.

I think with my heavy use of drugs during my binges this definately speeded up the process where I was ready to quit. I think if I only drank and didn't do drugs heavily too then I wouldn't have reached "that" point yet. The use of the drugs increased my levels of drinking and took the binges into days to drink the comedowns away but also the bombardment to my mental health when coming down/hangover was loads worse. Using drugs too also meant I spent loads,loads more money as well so it was incredibly expensive and also physically it took a highter toll too.

Grateful to have reached "that" stage.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Yeah i sort of feel like i have ruined my life to some degree with my second DUI. I am at my bottom and will only be going up. I am now on day 22 and I am doing well. I have been going to meetings all the time and I even told my dad I am doing AA. I still have not mentioned the DUI, I am waiting for the preliminary hearing to do that.

The whole no license thing is going to suck for a while, but I will gain a few years of healthy living from it with not drinking.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations to all our younger members
Good to know you are moving forward to
a productive healthy future.

Recovery Really Rocks!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

6 Month Anniversary

I'm 24 and today I am six months sober. It's quite a milestone for me because I wasn't sure I could make it this long. Of course to go with my anniversary are increased cravings, but moreso dreams in which I'm using or drinking, which are annoyning. But making it this far gives me all the more impetus to keep going and grow stronger in my sobriety. I feel better, for a longer amount of time, than I ever felt during my three years of heavy drinking and drugging and I'm not going to risk messing that up with giving in to those pesky addictive mind thoughts of "Well now maybe we can handle having just a few drinks." Maybe I can, but I'm not going to risk what I have to find out, and with all the meds I'm on, what would be the point?

I have decided, at this time, I'm not going to do the steps of AA because I would only be doing them to appease other people and not myself. I was only willing to do it because I felt bullied and rushed into doing it, which goes strictly against the teachings in the Big Book. I simply see no need to go through a God-centered program at this time. I intend to come about a spiritual experience through my delving into Buddhism and meditation, which needs no god. I will go to LifeRing meetings and online SMARTRecovery meetings. That, and my own self-discipline, is what works for me.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Nice job on 6 months Clay. I'm also reconsidering whether AA is really for me. I'm a Christian so the spiritual part is not the issue but just the whole concept that I'm powerless to it that I don't agree with. That idea does not sit well with me.