Notices

Critique my drinking habit...

Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Critique my drinking habit...

In the evening I drink 12 beers in 2 and a half hours.I wake up the next day nervous/tense .I don't drink a beer to combat these feelings because I really don't want to become totally alcohol dependant and can't risk DWI or BWI.
Also , I've been a victim of panic attacks for a long time , heart rate shoots up , etc.
Any suggestions ?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I forgot to add that I have a cigarette for each beer I drink and this is the only time I smoke.
Maybe I'm suffering from alcohol AND nicotine withdrawal the next day ?
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try to not drink. Can you?
  # 4 (permalink)  
Day One's Can RIP!!!

Hi NY Minute . . . Welcome.

Have you ever tried going without alcohol for any length of time? Can you completely walk away from it without giving it another thought?

You might want to visit a few AA meetings and listen to what others have to say about their drinking. If you can identify with what they are saying, it might help you to make a decision about whether you're an alcoholic.

The only one who can make that decision is you.

Best of luck . . and stick around. Read some of the posts here about what people say about how they drank. That will probably help you too.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

dancinggirl , what did you find useful in my reply ?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

"In the evening I drink 12 beers in 2 and a half hours.I......I really don't want to become totally alcohol dependant"

This confuses me..Do you feel that at this point you aren't dependant on alcohol? That's quite a bit of beer, IMHO.

The only other thing I want to really express here, is that when I was drinking (which wasn't all that long ago at ALL), I too suffered from anxiety/panic, most every day. It completely disappeared when I quit drinking alcohol, and hasn't reappeared since. That's just my experience.

I wish you luck, people here are amazing and will be really helpful to you, I'm sure of it!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dancinggirl View Post
Try to not drink. Can you?

I don't drink for 21 and a half hours each day.Does that count ? I knew people that drank a 30 pack of beer during the day and then hit the vodka at night.
But then again one of them died from cirrhosis of the liver and the other one is headed to jail for violating alcohol free probation.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum

Here is information you might be interested in

What is moderation?

According to the Center for Disease Control

Moderate drinking is no more than
2 drinks a day for men..1 for women

They consider a drink to be
12 oz. of beer..5 oz. of wine...1 1/2 oz liquor.

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.
Obviously....you are not a moderate drinker.
Hope you can find a way to quit and stay quit.

Good to see you sharing with us...
Old 09-18-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
"In the evening I drink 12 beers in 2 and a half hours.I......I really don't want to become totally alcohol dependant"

This confuses me..Do you feel that at this point you aren't dependant on alcohol? That's quite a bit of beer, IMHO.

The only other thing I want to really express here, is that when I was drinking (which wasn't all that long ago at ALL), I too suffered from anxiety/panic, most every day. It completely disappeared when I quit drinking alcohol, and hasn't reappeared since. That's just my experience.

I wish you luck, people here are amazing and will be really helpful to you, I'm sure of it!

Well I'm 6'5" and weigh 230 so I don't feel this is THAT much beer.I guess in a way I AM dependant on those nightly beers , just to get to sleep.The last time I missed my nightly beer was in 2000 , When I had a bad intestinal bug/flu.
I had my first panic attack on the LIE back in the mid 80's.Had to pull over my heart was palpitating so bad.I've had it ever since , sporadically.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

NYM: What I found "useful" in your post was your ability to share such a personal thing...and also to being open to other people's opinions on what might or might not be happening. Posting is darn hard the first few times and I'm impressed when people do!!! So..Welcome!

As for not drinking during certain hours of the day, I want you to see if you CAN not drink...meaning, not just for certain sections of the day, but for many days at a time...and if you DO drink, are you able to suddenly stop and not crave another one? That's one of the ways we can determine whether or not our drinking is a problem...and only you can determine that.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Talking

NYM: What I found "useful" in your post was your ability to share such a personal thing...and also to being open to other people's opinions on what might or might not be happening. Posting is darn hard the first few times and I'm impressed when people do!!! So..Welcome!

As for not drinking during certain hours of the day, I want you to see if you CAN not drink...meaning, not just for certain sections of the day, but for many days at a time...and if you DO drink, are you able to suddenly stop and not crave another one? That's one of the ways we can determine whether or not our drinking is a problem...and only you can determine that.
I don't really find it hard to share personal info because I'm anonymous on this forum.Well at least I hope so.
I'll give it up but don't want any withdrawal issues.Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum

Here is information you might be interested in

Obviously....you are not a moderate drinker.
Hope you can find a way to quit and stay quit.

Good to see you sharing with us...
Ok , I'm not moderate but what do you call those people that drink all day and night ?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You'll give up what, NY? Do you mean give up the drinking? It's always a good idea to talk to a doctor about it....detoxing can be dangerous without medical supervision. And yes, this site is anonymous.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Originally Posted by NYMinute View Post
Well I'm 6'5" and weigh 230 so I don't feel this is THAT much beer.
Given that the average weight of a male in the US (not factoring height) is 180 lbs, you're about 28% heavier than average.

And you drink 600% more than what is considered a "moderate" drinker.

My critique? You drink too much, too often, and need help.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You'll give up what, NY? Do you mean give up the drinking? It's always a good idea to talk to a doctor about it....detoxing can be dangerous without medical supervision. And yes, this site is anonymous.

Yes , give up the drinking.I doubt I'll get the dt's from not drinking 12 beers.
If I do , I deserve them.LOL.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justanothrdrunk View Post
Given that the average weight of a male in the US (not factoring height) is 180 lbs, you're about 28% heavier than average.

And you drink 600% more than what is considered a "moderate" drinker.

My critique? You drink too much, too often, and need help.
Ok.I guess I do drink too much but I'm old school.I believe in self help.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Are you trying to decide if you are an alcoholic?
I knew I was when I tried to quit
and found it was impossible to simply give it up.

Anyway...those heart palpatations are not a
sign of health and seeing a doctor is wise.

From my files....
Progression of Alcoholism

Progression Of Alcoholism
Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.
WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Source: American Medical Association
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Are you trying to decide if you are an alcoholic?
I knew I was when I tried to quit
and found it was impossible to simply give it up.

Anyway...those heart palpatations are not a
sign of health and seeing a doctor is wise.

From my files....

Heart palpitations and panic attacks go hand in hand.They're not dangerous.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I doubt that panic attacks/heart palpatations
are considered healthy. ...

If I had either or both...I definately
would seek professional advice.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My experience is that when I stopped drinking, my panic attacks subsided, and my anxiety level decreased significantly after several months.

As far as your drinking habits, I think you drink more than you are comfortable with or you wouldn't be asking questions about your habits. It's up to you in the end to decide if you want to quit and how you are going to do it.

Good luck