Notices

Critique my drinking habit...

Old 09-20-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
problem with authority

I read that the physical harms of excessive drinking (more than 2 drinks a night) affect women much more rapidly than men. Is that true? (Enlarged heart, liver damage, esophageal cancer/varices, etc.)
Old 09-20-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FightingIrish View Post
I read that the physical harms of excessive drinking (more than 2 drinks a night) affect women much more rapidly than men. Is that true? (Enlarged heart, liver damage, esophageal cancer/varices, etc.)

Yes , women are affected more.

Don't go by my avatar if thats what you're thinking.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Ah, gotcha. I was gonna say...judging by your picture I think you *do* drink too much. :->

You drank about as much as I drank. I would simply pass out after 12 beers. How do you handle weekends? The progression for me began when I decided I would simply start drinking in the morning on weekends and foregoing plans with friends, laundry, etc.

I probably would have kept on drinking that way had I not been arrested after assaulting a cop during a blackout while on vacation. Never thought this altar boy would have ever done a thing like that after 12 drinks. Also never thought I would be in AA and never thought that AA would become the key to a new life for me.

Good luck with your quest and your decision.

M
Old 09-20-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FightingIrish View Post
Ah, gotcha. I was gonna say...judging by your picture I think you *do* drink too much. :->

You drank about as much as I drank. I would simply pass out after 12 beers. How do you handle weekends? The progression for me began when I decided I would simply start drinking in the morning on weekends and foregoing plans with friends, laundry, etc.

I probably would have kept on drinking that way had I not been arrested after assaulting a cop during a blackout while on vacation. Never thought this altar boy would have ever done a thing like that after 12 drinks. Also never thought I would be in AA and never thought that AA would become the key to a new life for me.

Good luck with your quest and your decision.

M
Well tonite is my last nite for beer so I'll soon be finding out how my weekends go.Probably as boring as the weekdays.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Best of luck to you.

One year and two weeks into sobriety, I am still wondering exactly what to do with free time, but it has gotten easier. This morning I called a friend in the program and we went to go get breakfast...had not been planned. Then I cleaned my apartment (never happened when I was drinking) and called another friend and made a plan to go to a 6pm meeting tonight followed by a party where some friends in a band are gigging.

Tomorrow am I am singing a gig for the first time in two years...fortunately rediscovered in sobriety one of my passions that I had abandoned when my drinking really went downhill.

I have found that if I do nothing, I have nothing to do.

M
Old 09-20-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

It is not so much how much or how often you drink that makes one an alcoholic.

It is progression and lack of control that puts one "over the edge" so to speak.

A more important question to ask yourself is this;

"How much were you drinking this same time last year?"
Old 09-20-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
It is not so much how much or how often you drink that makes one an alcoholic.

It is progression and lack of control that puts one "over the edge" so to speak.

A more important question to ask yourself is this;

"How much were you drinking this same time last year?"
No progression and certainly no lack of self control.I've been drinking the same amount about 5 years now.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

No progression...no lack of control...no increase of consumption for 5 years....

I think you are fine...just a heavy drinker...no worries at all!

Thanks for all you wisdom and insight...a breath of fresh air for sure!
Old 09-20-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
No progression...no lack of control...no increase of consumption for 5 years....

I think you are fine...just a heavy drinker...no worries at all!

Thanks for all you wisdom and insight...a breath of fresh air for sure!
An amount (12) that might make a smaller person a heavy drinker doesn't make me a heavy drinker.I'm 6'5" and 230.

Ever look at a BAC chart ? Notice it has different columns for different weight people ? Same factor applys here !
Old 09-20-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

My point exactly! No worries!

I am sure you are thankful that your question has been answered!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:28 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Cheesus crust.. give the guy a chance to find out for himself. As hard as he's been beat with the sober stick (not by everybody), I'm suprised he's even still here...
Old 09-20-2008, 01:45 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by NYMinute View Post
If I didn't feel like I had the nerves/tension/stress of a death row inmate I would have ZERO problems with my beer.
I used to laugh at all the guys who had to drink beer all day long.It was to prevent these feelings , not because they wanted a buzz all day.
It can be an easy trap to fall into, yet a challenging one from which to climb.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

No progression and certainly no lack of self control.I've been drinking the same amount about 5 years now.
My consumption has, if anything, gone down over the years, but the effects have become much more acute.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Two things to consider :

1. Over time a person's tolerance to alcohol increases so you have to drink more to get the same effect.

2.Then over time your liver gets degraded to the point where it can't process the alcohol well and small amounts can really get you soused.

I used to know the medical term for this.Something ------- intolerance.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I think what I have experienced is atleast partially due to the basic aging process. I can't do anything as extreme as I use to without paying for it. I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was, LOL!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Toward the end of my drinking career I noticed I had to drink more wine to get the same feeling I used to get from two glasses. I had to drink more to get the same 'buzz' but tho I wasn't necessarily getting drunker, I was drinking more, and had the health problems from increased consumption.

I'm just glad I was finally able to stay sober for more than a little while. My drinking was hurting my well being and I felt crappy every day. My emotional health had been shaky to begin with, but drinking that much wine every day just made me that much more unstable and unhappy.

Just wish it hadn't taken me so many months to 'catch on'. Well, better late than never.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
problem with authority

"Alcoholism"?

The Big Book actually does not refer to physical effects or amount of consumption in its definition of alcoholism. If you are able to stop drinking for an extended period of time (a year?) with little trouble or you can moderate the amount you drink to the recommended daily allowance per the AMA (2 drinks or thereabouts), then you are probably just a "heavy drinker".

The Big Book says it is possible to die from the physical damage of drinking without actually being an alcoholic.

This is very good news for you, then, because in order to avoid damaging yourself, all you have to do is stop drinking.

M

Two things to consider :

1. Over time a person's tolerance to alcohol increases so you have to drink more to get the same effect.

2.Then over time your liver gets degraded to the point where it can't process the alcohol well and small amounts can really get you soused.

I used to know the medical term for this.Something ------- intolerance.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Know this is old thread but........

Just wanted to add a little something to this thread. The one thing that really caught my eye was the use of Primatene. Primatene was my sister's drug of choice (OTC) for years. She first used the mist for many years and then started using the tablets. The ephedrine is like speed and it causes a variety of things when abused, like kidney stones, heart palpitations, high blood pressure, anxiety, etc. If NY Minute is doing ephedrine during the day (speed), depending on how much he is doing, (my sister was up to three boxeds (60 tablets) a day at one point) then he probably does need a downer (12 beers) to sleep at night. The combination of the depressant of alcohol and the upper of the ephedrine in Primatene would probably also cause the palpitations. Just my two cents, but it sounds like the beer might be used to come down off of the Primatene.

My sister eventually found another drug of choice (Lortab) and is now addicted to that. She may still be using the Primatene as she has recurring kidney stones still. I don't know but I do know the mixture of ephedrine and alcohol is dangerous.