Notices

Critique my drinking habit...

Old 09-19-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
"...one of the main side effects and reason that Primetine Mist is about to be banned is because of it's ingredient, epinephrine, which causes cardiac problems, heart palpitations and anxiety..."

Yes, many doctors would like to see Primatene Mist banned because of this, but mainly because it is an OTC drug and they fear that many folks, who are NOT asthmatics, could be self-diagnosing and self-medicating and causing damage to themselves.....BUT

The Pulmonary-Allergy Drugs Advisory Committee voted 11 to 7 in favor of removing Primatene Mist from drugstore shelves because of the harmful chemical it contains --- not the epinephrine, but what it uses for aerosol propulsion.....Primatene Mist, manufactured by Wyeth Consumer Healthcare, contains chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) which facilitates the propulsion of the medication (epinephrine) from the inhaler canister. CFC has been used in many aerosolized products in the past, but its use has been phased out because of its effects on the Earth's ozone layer. CFC depletes the ozone layer that provides protection against the Sun's harmful rays.

just a wee fyi

NoelleR
They've been trying to pull Primatene for years.Its big bucks for its maker so that won't happen.They'll come up with an alternative propellant.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

What an interesting thread, NY..

I'm curious, and really I am....
your "beer/cigarette time" seems highly
regulated , or at least that's how I read it.
Are you still getting any enjoyment from this time or has it
become a chore of sorts for you before you can go to bed?
Do you really relax and enjoy the beer or are you drinking them
one after another without much enjoyment?
I'm not judging you, man, I just want to get a handle on what
you are writing about before I offer an opinion, you know?

Either way, thanks for coming on here to share your experience.
It's what SR is all about...

-Ajax
Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
What an interesting thread, NY..

I'm curious, and really I am....
your "beer/cigarette time" seems highly
regulated , or at least that's how I read it.
Are you still getting any enjoyment from this time or has it
become a chore of sorts for you before you can go to bed?
Do you really relax and enjoy the beer or are you drinking them
one after another without much enjoyment?
I'm not judging you, man, I just want to get a handle on what
you are writing about before I offer an opinion, you know?

Either way, thanks for coming on here to share your experience.
It's what SR is all about...

-Ajax
Actually I feel as though it is becoming a chore. The beer doesn't even really taste good that anymore.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

So, have you considered a free recovery program such as AA?
Old 09-19-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Old 09-19-2008, 11:48 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
So, have you considered a free recovery program such as AA?
No. No aa.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a link to various recovery methods
for you to explore as I see you did decide to quit.
Glad you are planning to do so..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Good Luck on the taper...
Old 09-19-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Ween down...

Hi, NYM!

If you keep up the pace, downwards that is, in a week or so you'll get down to 2-3 beers per evening. However, does coffee see eye to eye with heart palpitations? I prefer green tea...
Old 09-19-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bangoob View Post
Hi, NYM!

If you keep up the pace, downwards that is, in a week or so you'll get down to 2-3 beers per evening. However, does coffee see eye to eye with heart palpitations? I prefer green tea...

Hi there.I plan to make this Saturday night my last night for beer.Maybe Ill cut out the coffee to.I'm dependant on that too , I guess.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

If I might suggest something - if you really intend to stop drinking this Sunday, I wouldn't worry about cutting down on the coffee or cigs. Take it one habit / addiction at a time.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Excuse me if someone has already posted this but I don't want to read four pages of this. lol
Yes drinking can absolutley cause anxiety the next day. It is a chemical embalance. The next day is always the worst. I suffer from anxiety and the ONLY time I have panick attacks or palpitations or feel anxious is the day after a few drinks. I have done it with and without cigerettes.
The only thing that has stopped me from being anxious was to not drink and take anti anxiety medication. I have given up smoking as well.
I chose not to drink at all because if I have one it will lead to more and more and then I'll light up a smoke and I know all too well the feeling of anxiety the next day so it's easier to just not drink. I have never felt better.
Good luck to you.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Have you planned a different strategy for your bedtime on Saturday night?
It seems that if you aren't enjoying the actual drinking and smoking then it is the ritual you enjoy, which is its own issue to contend with.
If you want to change that habit, You should have a plan for a totally different night time/shutting down process. Otherwise you will just trigger one addiction which will trigger all the rest.
Again, not really judging, but stating what might be obvious.
I wish you luck, NY. It's awful to have any albatross around your neck, even if you tied it there.
-Ajax
Old 09-19-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYMinute View Post
How long did you drink for ? Personally I don't feel I'm an alky because I CONTROL how much I drink.Most alkies can't.Isn't the saying " One is too many and a hundred isn't enough" or something like that ?
You "control" your drinking? You call drinking 12 beers a night, "controlled" drinking? People who arent alcoholics, never have to "control" their drinking. Actually, "controlled" drinking is an alcoholics term. Only alcoholics ever think that they can control their drinking, and non-alcoholics simply never have to. Seems to me if you really didnt think you had a drinking problem you wouldnt be here. Normal drinkers rarely google "alcoholism".
Old 09-19-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ghidrah View Post
You "control" your drinking? You call drinking 12 beers a night, "controlled" drinking? People who arent alcoholics, never have to "control" their drinking. Actually, "controlled" drinking is an alcoholics term. Only alcoholics ever think that they can control their drinking, and non-alcoholics simply never have to. Seems to me if you really didnt think you had a drinking problem you wouldnt be here. Normal drinkers rarely google "alcoholism".

Not to diss you but I really don't care for your comments.I think limiting myself to 12 beers is a lot better than the stuff I read on the " My Story " section of this website with everybody complaining about blackouts and such.LOL.
I didn't google alcoholism either.I stumbled onto this site when I was searching for something else.
Maybe I should have used the word limited instead of control.
You REALLY project a lot of negative vibes , thank you.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Well I give my self credit for not taking a beer way earlier in the day and waiting till 10:00 at night.
back in my mid 20's I worked for a defense contractor 35 miles away.Second shift.Sunrise Highway at the time had 19 traffic lights from Patchogue west to Oakdale.On the way home at 12:30 Am I would stop at a gas station convenience store and get a 6 pack and finish it at the end of a 23 mile stretch of open road.I quit doing that when i got a new pick up .i was too visible drinking in the cab.LOL.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:02 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

NYM .. I wish you the best with your plan.

If your plan doesn't work and your still seek sobriety.. This site has people from all the recovery programs out there that will be willing to help you.

Peace
Old 09-19-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As some members are continuing to violate
SR Rule 4
From our SR Policy Rules and Posting Forum

4. Trolling: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums. We are here to share our experience and offer peer support. No other agendas that disrupt the forums will be tolerated.
Those post have been removed.
Please share with your own
experiences and stop judgeing others.

Thanks!

Last edited by CarolD; 09-19-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYMinute View Post
I think limiting myself to 12 beers is a lot better than the stuff I read on the " My Story " section of this website with everybody complaining about blackouts and such.
Also a totally meaningless point. There is no "Hierarchy" as such. It's a black and white issue. You either are or you aren't.
You asked that your drinking be critiqued. You were basically told to critique your own drinking.
That being said, tell us what you think.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Good luck with the no drinking plan. I hope it makes you feel better. And I agree, tackle one habit at a time.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
Also a totally meaningless point. There is no "Hierarchy" as such. It's a black and white issue. You either are or you aren't.
You asked that your drinking be critiqued. You were basically told to critique your own drinking.
That being said, tell us what you think.
If I didn't feel like I had the nerves/tension/stress of a death row inmate I would have ZERO problems with my beer.
I used to laugh at all the guys who had to drink beer all day long.It was to prevent these feelings , not because they wanted a buzz all day.