Notices

Critique my drinking habit...

Old 09-18-2008, 04:04 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

NYM, you said you didn't think you would have serious withdrawal issues, like the DT's, and that if you did have DT's then you deserved them. No, you don't mean that, do you? DT's can kill you. They kill people coming off alcohol cold turkey sometimes. You say you can control your drinking, do you mean just having twelve beers in over two hours, but no more? You say you don't want to drink in the morning (if you are shaky and nervous) so you won't develop a physical addiction. I think if you've been drinking twelve beers a night for 'a while' then you've already developed a physical addiction, in my opinion.

And whether you know it or not, alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous, very dangerous, so don't mess with it. If you've decided to take the advice of many and stop drinking to see what happens, please do talk to your doctor first, just to be safe.

As to not drinking to see what happens, if you find yourself thinking about it, looking at the clock to see how long til you can have a beer, or finding that you don't feel comfortable not drinking, then you may well have a problem.

The thread that binds all us alkies together is this: not how much we drink, or how often we drink, or what we drink - but what happens to us when we drink. And do we worry about it, or compare ourselves with others who drink, or do we not even want to think we have a problem at all. I started in March of 07 drinking a glass of wine before my kids got home from high school, so I'd be relaxed and less likely to get into a fight with them about homework or whatever. I found that I was drinking more wine, earlier in the day, and finally, after drinking wine every day for months, that I was drinking when I got up just to keep from shaking, or drinking in the middle of the night cause I woke up with my heart racing and feeling horrible.

Last December, after drinking wine for 10 months, I admitted to myself that I was an alcoholic, that I had a problem, that I needed to stop drinking. As of today I have 67 days sober. It took me since last December to finally get some serious sober time. But I notice my antidepressants are working better and I no longer shake and feel horribly sick when I wake up.

I only know that you are the only one who can decide if you have a problem or not. I do think, however, that normal drinkers don't drink that much beer in a few hours and don't wonder if they have 'a problem'. The fact that you're thinking about it means, to me, that you think you do have a problem.

Try not drinking for a month and see what happens. But whatever you do, please be safe when detoxing. And if you decide to stop, we'll help you any way we can.

:ghug3
Old 09-18-2008, 06:46 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VeritasAequitas View Post
I'm a binge drinker (supposedly the hardest alcoholic to treat because I maintain that I can quit anytime) and I can relate to a 12 pack in a sitting - not two hours though, that seems a bit fast.

The drug you take will give you the opposite effect when the drug is out of the system - so those shakes and panic attacks you're having...yes that is withdrawal.

BTW, my ex GF had tachycardia and it is a very serious condition - it is not just an awareness of an increased heart beat...

"Tachycardia is harmful for two reasons. First, when the heart beats too rapidly, it performs inefficiently (since there is not enough time for the ventricles to fill completely), causing blood flow and blood pressure to diminish. Second, it increases the work of the heart, causing it to require more oxygen while also reducing the blood flow to the cardiac muscle tissue, increasing the risk of ischemia and resultant infarction."

If you have panic attacks alcohol is most likely making them worse the next day...

My critique? See a doctor and tell him everything you've told us.
Did a Dr. tell you that or you did a wikipedia search ?

I've had palpitations come and go my WHOLE life.I'm sure EVERYBODY does to some extent.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

It's clear to me you are here to argue...but I'll answer your question non-the-less...

I went to college and graduated as a pre-med undergrad, I then got into Big Pharma based on my ability to persuade people - I made money, met friends, and had all the women I wanted.

I then decided that the corrupt business of healthcare was not for me (enter SSRIs and alcohol) and decided to pursue business - I was accepted to a top 20 business school and am currently trying to get my life, my job, and my M.B.A.

If you doubt my intelligence on the subject of what I wanted to be since I was a child - I welcome your judgement.

P.S. What gave you the impression it wasn't my work...possibly the quotation marks?

I wish you the best - whether or not you are a physical alcoholic your mind is that of a very sick person.

I truly wish you the best and although you may not like what I say - I will be praying for you...one day I hope you can pray for me.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:02 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by NYMinute View Post
Heart palpitations and panic attacks go hand in hand.They're not dangerous.
Forgive me if someone already covered this, but as soon as I saw this statement, I wanted to note my own experience.

I was what you would call an "at least six drinks a night" drinker. Depending on what was going on, that amount could fluctuate greatly (usually greater than six). At my worst, I was drinking about 3 liters of wine in a 3-4 hour sitting. After I passed out and woke up, many times I'd start right away again. Not something I'm proud of, but it happened.

Back in November of 2007, I started getting heart palpitations (premature beats) all the time. Every freaking day. Several an hour. It scared the crap out of me. I've always been an incredibly anxious person, but have NEVER had a panic attack before.

Long story short, it took me a while to quit drinking despite the health problems. The doctor I saw knows my drinking history and still considers it panic attacks, which is a load of crap to me. I do honestly believe that my heart problems are directly related to past alcohol consumption. I was a heavy drinker for six years before having any HINT of palpitations.

My point is this: your palpitations may not be related to panic attacks. You asked people to critique your drinking habits, but I really think you should get a professional opinion. Please go to your doctor if you haven’t already and be honest about your drinking history. It’s not just the liver you have to worry about. Your heart could be the first to go due to excessive alcohol consumption. I’m not trying to scare you, but you can find information on alcohol-related heart disease from your doctor. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:06 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I forgot to mention that certain heart conditions can be dangerous (especially the ones caused by alcohol). Again, please talk to your doctor.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by NYMinute View Post
I guess in a way I AM dependant on those nightly beers , just to get to sleep.The last time I missed my nightly beer was in 2000 , When I had a bad intestinal bug/flu.
Hi NYM how you doing?

So what are your thoughts on your dependence then? In your other posts its like what you're having 12 beers a night and a cig with each beer right? and you have trouble getting to sleep unless you do the above ritual? And over the last eight years? And you have concerns about.... ?

i dunno, NYM, but doing the math here is like slam dunk easy you got some issues i'm just saying. It's great you're posting and you'll find strength in yourself to share more as you gain confidence in the forums and what not.

Welcome to SR
Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VeritasAequitas View Post
It's clear to me you are here to argue...but I'll answer your question non-the-less...

I went to college and graduated as a pre-med undergrad, I then got into Big Pharma based on my ability to persuade people - I made money, met friends, and had all the women I wanted.

I then decided that the corrupt business of healthcare was not for me (enter SSRIs and alcohol) and decided to pursue business - I was accepted to a top 20 business school and am currently trying to get my life, my job, and my M.B.A.

If you doubt my intelligence on the subject of what I wanted to be since I was a child - I welcome your judgement.

P.S. What gave you the impression it wasn't my work...possibly the quotation marks?

I wish you the best - whether or not you are a physical alcoholic your mind is that of a very sick person.

I truly wish you the best and although you may not like what I say - I will be praying for you...one day I hope you can pray for me.
" I wish you the best - whether or not you are a physical alcoholic your mind is that of a very sick person. "

Thanks ! Comments like that make me regret I posted what I did.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

NYMinute,

I work for a drug and alcohol rehab, so I see plenty of people, with all forms of alcohol dependence, abuse, misuse, choose your term.

Now you say you’re not an alcoholic, that’s fine, to be honest I don't even like the word it is overused and under defined.

You did however ask for a critique. So here it goes.

12 beers a day regardless of your weight is excessive drinking. There is two levels of addiction, psychological and physiological. You will have a level of physiological addiction after drinking that much for that long. Your body gets use to it and when you quit it will have to get use to not having it. As for the level of withdrawal systems you would experience, it is different for everyone. Some people drinking half what you do experience full DT's (hallucinations, severe shakes, etc.) and some people drinking more then you do only get headaches, a little anxiety, and a bit shakey for a few days. The only way I would know for sure is to get you into the detox and watch for a couple days.

Now the psychological part of the addiction, call it a 'habit' if you like, is the most difficult part to deal with. I don't see any need to get into that here right now though.

At the end of the day only you will be able to tell yourself if you have a problem with drinking. I will tell you this though you are not doing your health any favors, at 12 beers a day for years, you will probably have some level of liver damage, higher BP, etc.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone....

Let's all chill and please remember

From our SR Policy Rules and Posting Forum

4. Trolling: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums. We are here to share our experience and offer peer support. No other agendas that disrupt the forums will be tolerated.
Some post have been removed that were in violation
of this SR rule.

Please do respect our guidelines and each other.
Thanks...

I think we all need to reflect on how we
felt when first questioning our drinking patterns
Me?
I was shocked...dismayed...and had no clue
on what to do or how to do or
did I really want to do anything?

Last edited by CarolD; 09-18-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Ok...I have reread the posts here, my question to you would be...the amount you drink, do you believe it is causing a problem to you mentally, spiritually or physically? I also would ask if you believe the palipatations and anxiety are alcohol related? If so...then look at your drinking as maybe it isa problem, if not see a Dr. I wish you blessings and love
Terry
Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wade72 View Post
NYMinute,

I work for a drug and alcohol rehab, so I see plenty of people, with all forms of alcohol dependence, abuse, misuse, choose your term.

Now you say you’re not an alcoholic, that’s fine, to be honest I don't even like the word it is overused and under defined.

You did however ask for a critique. So here it goes.

12 beers a day regardless of your weight is excessive drinking. There is two levels of addiction, psychological and physiological. You will have a level of physiological addiction after drinking that much for that long. Your body gets use to it and when you quit it will have to get use to not having it. As for the level of withdrawal systems you would experience, it is different for everyone. Some people drinking half what you do experience full DT's (hallucinations, severe shakes, etc.) and some people drinking more then you do only get headaches, a little anxiety, and a bit shakey for a few days. The only way I would know for sure is to get you into the detox and watch for a couple days.

Now the psychological part of the addiction, call it a 'habit' if you like, is the most difficult part to deal with. I don't see any need to get into that here right now though.

At the end of the day only you will be able to tell yourself if you have a problem with drinking. I will tell you this though you are not doing your health any favors, at 12 beers a day for years, you will probably have some level of liver damage, higher BP, etc.
As far as alcohol and liver damage there are too many variables to consider.
Diet , nationality , weight , overall health , gender , age , etc .Drinking coffee has been proven to prevent liver damage.I drink coffee.
I trimmed down to 10 beers last night and I feel better already.A LOT better !I keep records of my beer consumption and its probably the least I've drank in a LONG time , maybe years.I log my start and stop times too.I guess I'm a little OCD about that but I limit it to those 2 things.Except maybe the duration I wear my disposable soft contacts.LOL.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Celebration1994 View Post
Ok...I have reread the posts here, my question to you would be...the amount you drink, do you believe it is causing a problem to you mentally, spiritually or physically? I also would ask if you believe the palipatations and anxiety are alcohol related? If so...then look at your drinking as maybe it isa problem, if not see a Dr. I wish you blessings and love
Terry
I'm cutting down and feel better already , thank you !

I have to cut back on the Primatene Mist too.That stuff must be what crystal meth does to you !!!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mick HK View Post
Hey NYM,

So, maybe all you need to do is to cut down. Is there a weekly intake you think would be acceptable? 10 beers every night still sounds like a heck of a lot of beer.

Best wishes,

Mick
I went from 12 to 10.Tonight I'll have 8 or 9.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Is your plan to stop completely?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Not that it has anything to do with THIS particular board, but one of the main side effects and reason that Primetine Mist is about to be banned is because of it's ingredient, epinephrine, which causes cardiac problems, heart palpitations and anxiety. Maybe you need a primetine mist group?

8 or 9 beers? Good grief, that's still a ton!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
Is your plan to stop completely?
Yes , completely.My problems are still around after the beer wears off.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Not that it has anything to do with THIS particular board, but one of the main side effects and reason that Primetine Mist is about to be banned is because of it's ingredient, epinephrine, which causes cardiac problems, heart palpitations and anxiety. Maybe you need a primetine mist group?

8 or 9 beers? Good grief, that's still a ton!

I've been taking Primatene a LONG time.Bad stuff if you take too much.
I've heard rumors its going to be banned for YEARS.These rumors never came true.
In my State Primatene tablets are kept behind the counter and you have to sign for them in order to buy them.Meth addicts use them to make Crank.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Good NYM. So what is the whole plan? Are you just going to cut down until you quit? Personally, that would have been torture for me once you get down to three or less. Like pulling off a bandaid REALLY slowly. But good on you if it works for you. So, are you going to work a recovery program? As your focus comes off the beer, you need to put the focus on to something positive. For me, that is recovery.

Wow flutter! I did not even know what the Primatene mist was.
Have you considered that is what is causing your heart palpitations? Does your doctor know about that usage? What is it used for? Allergies?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
Good NYM. So what is the whole plan? Are you just going to cut down until you quit? Personally, that would have been torture for me once you get down to three or less. Like pulling off a bandaid REALLY slowly. But good on you if it works for you. So, are you going to work a recovery program? As your focus comes off the beer, you need to put the focus on to something positive. For me, that is recovery.

Wow flutter! I did not even know what the Primatene mist was.
Have you considered that is what is causing your heart palpitations? Does your doctor know about that usage? What is it used for? Allergies?
I plan on having my last beer this Saturday night.

I checked my records and on 4/2/08 I had 11 beers.Can't find date that I had only 10 , other than last night.

Don't have a regular Dr. other than my Eye Dr.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Cool

"...one of the main side effects and reason that Primetine Mist is about to be banned is because of it's ingredient, epinephrine, which causes cardiac problems, heart palpitations and anxiety..."

Yes, many doctors would like to see Primatene Mist banned because of this, but mainly because it is an OTC drug and they fear that many folks, who are NOT asthmatics, could be self-diagnosing and self-medicating and causing damage to themselves.....BUT

The Pulmonary-Allergy Drugs Advisory Committee voted 11 to 7 in favor of removing Primatene Mist from drugstore shelves because of the harmful chemical it contains --- not the epinephrine, but what it uses for aerosol propulsion.....Primatene Mist, manufactured by Wyeth Consumer Healthcare, contains chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) which facilitates the propulsion of the medication (epinephrine) from the inhaler canister. CFC has been used in many aerosolized products in the past, but its use has been phased out because of its effects on the Earth's ozone layer. CFC depletes the ozone layer that provides protection against the Sun's harmful rays.

just a wee fyi

NoelleR