Notices

Critique my drinking habit...

Old 09-18-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justanothrdrunk View Post
Given that the average weight of a male in the US (not factoring height) is 180 lbs, you're about 28% heavier than average.

And you drink 600% more than what is considered a "moderate" drinker.

My critique? You drink too much, too often, and need help.
You mean 500% don't you ? 2 beers would be the moderate intake.the next 10 would be 500% more , not 600%.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I guess I am a bit confused as to the point of your post. People have offered opinions and instead of listening to them it seems you come up with an excuse as to why you don't have a problem with the alcohol you consume daily. You certainly don't seem to be the least bit interested in their points of view. What exactly do you want to hear?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You and only you can decide if you drink too much. Even when a Dr told me that drinking as much as I did affected my health, I still chose to drink. It took me 30 years to decide I had a drinking problem and decide to get sober. Only you hold they key to sobriety, our opinions are just that, opinions, you need to decide if drinking is a problem for you, I can't. For me this is not a game ~it's my life or death~ and I chose a sober life.
Blessings and love
Terry
Old 09-18-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
I guess I am a bit confused as to the point of your post. People have offered opinions and instead of listening to them it seems you come up with an excuse as to why you don't have a problem with the alcohol you consume daily. You certainly don't seem to be the least bit interested in their points of view. What exactly do you want to hear?
Which post leads you to believe I'm coming up with excuses ? I'm interested and appreciate all input received so far , thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYMinute View Post
Heart palpitations and panic attacks go hand in hand.They're not dangerous.
First example. Hold on there's more.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Well I'm 6'5" and weigh 230 so I don't feel this is THAT much beer.I guess in a way I AM dependant on those nightly beers , just to get to sleep.The last time I missed my nightly beer was in 2000 , When I had a bad intestinal bug/flu.
I had my first panic attack on the LIE back in the mid 80's.Had to pull over my heart was palpitating so bad.I've had it ever since , sporadically.
#2.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Celebration1994 View Post
You and only you can decide if you drink too much. Even when a Dr told me that drinking as much as I did affected my health, I still chose to drink. It took me 30 years to decide I had a drinking problem and decide to get sober. Only you hold they key to sobriety, our opinions are just that, opinions, you need to decide if drinking is a problem for you, I can't. For me this is not a game ~it's my life or death~ and I chose a sober life.
Blessings and love
Terry

How much were you drinking ? It must be hard not drinking , especially Upstate and ESPECIALLY in the Winter.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I don't drink for 21 and a half hours each day.Does that count ? I knew people that drank a 30 pack of beer during the day and then hit the vodka at night.
But then again one of them died from cirrhosis of the liver and the other one is headed to jail for violating alcohol free probation.
#3.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm done.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Positively Master Thief

I don't condemn NYM for appearing a little bitter... I was bitter when I was coming to terms with my addictions, even a while in sobriety. Hell, I'm still bitter, haha. NYM, if you're ready for help, if you feel you need help at all, there is always a place here that welcomes you - that welcomes one with a genuine desire to subside self-destruction.

But to be on-topic... Critque your drinking habits? I know alcohlics, even family members, who get drunk all day everyday, and they are alcoholics. I know alcoholics who have 4 drinks a day, and they are alcoholics. But only because they've admitted it to themselves (someone on here once said "you're an alcoholic the minute you say you are", I think it was vegibean...), and realized they were hurting their loved ones... do you think you're hurting anyone? Are you destroying your health? Most of all, do you care? I'm not asking you, but suggesting you ask yourself this, and answer honestly. In my way of thinking, one has an addiction when their lives become unmanagable (yes, I ripped off step one :p), when they feel pain over what they are doing to themselves/loved ones/etc, and wants to stop. So, your drinking habits and my personal opinion?... I've spent more time with alcoholics who drink everyday, than binge drinkers (ironically, I was a binge drinker :p), so it sounds to me like I'd consider you an alcoholic, if you drink a 12 pack everyday, yeah. But like dancinggirl said, could you walk away from it and never look back? That's the definitive question. If you can walk away without a problem and never look back, you're not addicted, in my opinion. People in recovery are different... I think we walk away, deal with our problems, do a program, talk to people, constantly digging back to make amends with ourselves. Sometimes we relapse and sometimes we don't. You're an addict forever, but you can be sober forever, too.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
First example. Hold on there's more.
the first thing they tell you is that a panic attack won't harm you.Palpitations the same thing.Most palpitations are just over awareness of a racing heart , tachycardia.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColdSweat View Post
I don't condemn NYM for appearing a little bitter... I was bitter when I was coming to terms with my addictions, even a while in sobriety. Hell, I'm still bitter, haha. NYM, if you're ready for help, if you feel you need help at all, there is always a place here that welcomes you - that welcomes one with a genuine desire to subside self-destruction.

But to be on-topic... Critque your drinking habits? I know alcohlics, even family members, who get drunk all day everyday, and they are alcoholics. I know alcoholics who have 4 drinks a day, and they are alcoholics. But only because they've admitted it to themselves (someone on here once said "you're an alcoholic the minute you say you are", I think it was vegibean...), and realized they were hurting their loved ones... do you think you're hurting anyone? Are you destroying your health? Most of all, do you care? I'm not asking you, but suggesting you ask yourself this, and answer honestly. In my way of thinking, one has an addiction when their lives become unmanagable (yes, I ripped off step one :p), when they feel pain over what they are doing to themselves/loved ones/etc, and wants to stop. So, your drinking habits and my personal opinion?... I've spent more time with alcoholics who drink everyday, than binge drinkers (ironically, I was a binge drinker :p), so it sounds to me like I'd consider you an alcoholic, if you drink a 12 pack everyday, yeah. But like dancinggirl said, could you walk away from it and never look back? That's the definitive question. If you can walk away without a problem and never look back, you're not addicted, in my opinion. People in recovery are different... I think we walk away, deal with our problems, do a program, talk to people, constantly digging back to make amends with ourselves. Sometimes we relapse and sometimes we don't. You're an addict forever, but you can be sober forever, too.

My only problem with my beer consumption is whether or not it is responsible for making me feel so frigging nervous and tense the next day.I guess these feelings are actually withdrawal ?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Positively Master Thief

In my experience, yeah, I'd say so. Back when I was poppin' pills everyday, I had high blood pressure & frequent panic attacks. I'd get them the day after a heavy binge as well. I've been 25 days sober from booze n pills and have not since had one.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

In my experience, yeah, I'd say so. Back when I was poppin' pills everyday, I had high blood pressure & frequent panic attacks. I'd get them the day after a heavy binge as well. I've been 25 days sober from booze n pills and have not since had one.
How much booze and how many and what kind of pills ?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

My only problem with my beer consumption is whether or not it is responsible for making me feel so frigging nervous and tense the next day.I guess these feelings are actually withdrawal ?
Why don't you stop drinking beer for a month or so. If the nervousness and tenseness subside, you will know that alcohol was causing it. If they don't, then you know alcohol was not causing it.

If you are worried about withdrawals, why don't you drink one less beer a day for 12 days until you are on no beers a day and then don't drink for a month. Not only will you find the cause of your anxiety, but you will have a better idea of your relationship to alcohol.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Positively Master Thief

How much booze and how many and what kind of pills ?
I didn't drink everyday but when I drank, it was whatever booze I could get my hands on (which was usually a lot)... my worst night/morning, my bottom, was when I was with a friend of mine, who wasn't drinking at all, I didn't sleep at all, just drank. A case of beer, a half gallon of Burgendy, and I don't know how much Smirnoff.... pills were everyday, just to feel normal. I would get stoned off of over the counter stuff, anti-depressants, anti-shitzos, anti-psychotics, and a hell of a lot of muscle relaxers/pain pills. My drug of choice was Lortab/hydrocodone.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I didn't drink everyday but when I drank, it was whatever booze I could get my hands on (which was usually a lot)... my worst night/morning, my bottom, was when I was with a friend of mine, who wasn't drinking at all, I didn't sleep at all, just drank. A case of beer, a half gallon of Burgendy, and I don't know how much Smirnoff.... pills were everyday, just to feel normal. I would get stoned off of over the counter stuff, anti-depressants, anti-shitzos, anti-psychotics, and a hell of a lot of muscle relaxers/pain pills. My drug of choice was Lortab/hydrocodone.

Hmmmm.I wouldn't touch a painkiller , ever.And I have easy access to them.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Cold sweat is that you in your avatar ? If so which one are you ?

My avatar shows Rastus , the Cream of Wheat Guy.I like him , Uncle Ben , and Aunt Jemina and will be featuring them as my avatar in the not too distant future.LOL.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Positively Master Thief

Yeah that's me. I'm the chick. And good for you, not touching easy-access pain killers.

Aunt Jemina, ha.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yeah that's me. I'm the chick. And good for you, not touching easy-access pain killers.

Aunt Jemina, ha.
Who's the other person ? They don't look too happy.