Notices

Off methadone 30 days

Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Off methadone 30 days

30 days off methadone
Hello all. Here is my story:
I am 23 years old, been on methadone for 4 years due to OxyContin abuse. Long story short, started at 15mgs of methadone and went all the way up to 90mgs. Over the course of the 4 years ( long time, I know ) I tapered myself down to 10mgs. I was on 10 mgs for about 3 months before I made the decision to jump off cold turkey. Now, here is my experience.
I have been off methadone for 30 days now. The psychical symptoms have mostly subsided except for the sneezing and minor leg cramps from time to time. However, the PAWS are present. Once I quit, I thought the psychical aspect would be the hardest part. Boy was I wrong. It is the mental part that is the hardest. I now suffer from anxiety and depression... BUT I am much better. I do not notice a difference day to day, however week to week I notice a considerable difference. I AM getting better and for everyone out there trying to quit methadone, HANG IN THERE! I noticed that what makes me feel better is keeping myself busy, which that in itself feels like a chore. Also I am taking Valium ( diazepam ) prescribed to me by my doctor but not everyday. I try to take it as minimally as possible bc of it's addictive qualities. I know 30 days isn't so long but something is better than nothing. Anyone else going through something similar??? Pls let me know
Old 03-06-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No I am not going through that but your post is to full of awesomeness to pass up. Congrats!!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree, Raider. Never dealt with methadone but that's rockstar level. You're awesome, Ididit.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much!!

Thank you guys so much for the wonderful support. Each time I see a reply, it is incredibly encouraging. You guys are my strength and hope.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am on day 6, are you still experiencing diarrhea? How did you manage that aspect of symptoms. Because it makes me nervous to leave my home unless i take a bunch of Immodium.

Last year when I quit I was still taking immodium on day 40.

Then the PAWS and depression hit so hard i went to methadone

I am going to demand some type of anti-depressant this time.

Congrats. Cant wait till day 30 comes!

Oh, and how is your sleep compared to like day 7?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey drummer

Hey there drummer. First and foremost, congratulations on day 6. That is a HUGE deal and you should give yourself a pat on the back for making it this far. Today marks my 38th day off the methadone. So, to answer a few of your questions... On about day 11 or 12 I began taking Imodium. I took it once, and after that one time that I took it, my diarrhea stopped. So after about 2 weeks time, I did not have diarrhea anymore. I was prescribed Valium during my withdrawals, because I couldn't take the anxiety. However I was very careful with it because of it's addictive nature. So what I did was take it only when absolutely necessary. Now I do not take it, because I find keeping myself busy works well. Also, the anti depressant may be a good idea for you if you are experiencing depression and anxiety. I personally am fuelled off of group meetings and keeping myself active. My sleep ranges from 6-7 hours a night which I am not complaining about, this is with the help of NO sleep aid. Some things that helped me out on the early days of my withdrawals were hot baths, breathes of fresh air and eating right. Bananas are good because they give you energy and are high in potassium. Stay away from caffeine if you can.
You should be incredibly proud of yourself. 6 days is HUGE! Hold your head up high, you can do this. How many milligrams were you on before you jumped off the methadone??
Old 03-14-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh and my sleep compared to say 7 is a world of a difference. The first 3 weeks of my withdrawal, my sleep was disrupted constantly. I would wake up several times a night, and be up for hours at a time. Now, on day 38 I notice that my sleep is still disruptive just not as bad. I can sleep for 6 hours straight and usually only get up once during the 6 hours to use the washroom. So the sleep has most definitely improved considerably.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much.

So you even tho u had diarrhea u waited as long as possible to use anything for it?

I get it so bad during withdrawal, like bathroom trips every few hours WITH Immodium.

I have been taking opiates, pretty much all of the major ones for over 5 years. I quit cold turkey off 190mg oxy last sept. But at day 40 or so the depression and a return of my chronic pain led me to methadone.

At times I abused the methadone, prescribed 60 mg a day for almost the last 6 months. It just wasnt helping much with my chronic pain so I figured quit now and get it over with.

I bet my cold turkey technique is a greater shock to my digestive system or something. I will ask my addiction dr about it in a couple weeks. Plus during opiate use I was ALWAYS super constipated. Like 1 bathroom trip every 7 days, so that might be an issue as well.

Thank you again for giving me some insight. Without a doubt I use opiates to cover the depression since my chronic pain started. So I know this time I need an anti-depressent.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No experience but want to congratulate you and encourage you! Good for you and the progress you are making!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is my 8th day from 120mg a day. I know that I still have a way to go but if you can do so can I. Grate job staying off. I been talking methadone for 15 years. I was wondering about.. the tricks the mind will play. Last night was the first time I slept over 3 hours, it made me pleased. The lack of energy, I feel is the hardest thing. It still is a struggle just to eat, shower and to talk. Other thing is uncontrollable sneezing. It like once they start they continue unroll I think I might pass out. Maybe that wouldn't be to bad.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hey guys!

okay guys. a couple people to address, thank you for your replies drummer, hopeful and marvin.

DRUMMER - that is correct. I did not take the immodium until my diarrhea got unbearble because I wanted to let as much toxins out of my body as possible. Many people may disagree with this way of approaching the diarrhea issue, but for me it worked the best. Right now I am on day 40, with no methadone, and after that first time that I took the imodium my diarrhea for the most part went away. However, I do notice that there are times where I still have SOME diarrhea, but not nearly as bad as it was in the beginning. So that aspect certainly gets better. I can totally relate to the constipation issues you were having while on opiates, I had the exact same issue when I was on the methadone. I would be using the washroom once every week or week and a half. It was incredibly depressing but now I am using the washroom at least 2 or sometimes three times a day which feels awesome. How are you feeling today? what day is it for you? did you start the antidepressent yet?? Remember, your mind will try to play tricks on you. But you cannot let it do that. Deep breathes, and distract yourself. Please update me on how you are feeling today and how long its been for you. Hang in there it gets better so soon, I promise you.

MARVIN - Thank you for your reply. First and foremost, CONGRATS ON 8 DAYS MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!! THAT IS AMAZING AND A REALY BIG DEAL!!!! YOU OWE YOURSELF A HUGE PAT ON THE BACK. Secondly, I am happy to hear you are getting some sleep. Sleeping restores our energy, and allows us to think clearly and function normally. However, you sleeping 3 hours on day 7 is amazing, I think it took me around 2 weeks to start getting in a few hours of sleep at night, but we must also take into account that I was taking clonidine. Have you heard about it? Would you be able to consult your doctor about it? They helped me tremendously with withdrawals. Regarding the mental part, otherwise known as PAWS ( post acute withdrawal sypmtoms), I would have to say that is an ongoing struggle for me at this point eventhough ive been off 40 days. So, some tips on how to deal with them. The first few weeks off methadone I honesty sat in a room, isolated from the world and didn't want to see or hear from anyone. After about 3 weeks, I FORCED myself to go outside, do things, see people, eat, etc. The idea is, tricking and distracting your brain, DO NOT LET YOUR BRAIN EVEN BEGIN TO PLAY TRICS ON YOU. If you are occupied doing something, your mind doesnt have any other choice but to be focussed on whatever it is your doing. For example, I would go on light walks, any form of light excerise helped me, to get my mind off of things. Also group therapy really helped me and still does. I attend group everyday, facilitated by a social worker. It breaks up my day for me. If i sat there doing nothing, my mind falls into deep dark dirty depressions. The trick is, not even allowing your mind to do that. Also, hot baths help me too. And before I forget to add, Sober Recovery helped me also, reading other peoples stories, gaining hope and inspiration. Listen my friend, the very fact your 8 days clean and on this website sure says a hell lot about your determination and motivated to ensure your sobriety, hats off to you. Also, the sneezing is an excellent point you make. I STILL sneeze everyday atleast 10 times a day. I did a lot of research, and apparently when we sneeze, those are the toxins coming out of our body. This is an awesome thing if you think about it, our bodies are going back to normal. I want you to understand, and DRUMMER as well, that this is all possible. I am a living example of it. 40 days clean off the done, and still surviving. A few tips:
STAY BUSY... DONT ALLOW YOUR BRAIN TO PLAY TRICKS ON YOU! YOUR MIND IS INCREDIBLY POWERFUL AND WILL PLAY TRICKS ON YOU IF YOU LET IT. DONT LET IT EVEN GET TO THAT POINT. PICK UP A BOOK, READ. WALK, EAT, DO ANYTHING EXCEPT LET YOUR MIND WONDER
hot baths
talking to someone, anyone
reading on this website, it helps and gives encouragment
make a list of all of the things you are grateful for ( i learned this in recovery)
STAY POSITIVE
EAT AS HEALTHY AS YOU CAN
workout whenever you have enough energy

I know what your saying about the lack of energy. It took me some time to gain my energy back. Brushing my teeth and showering felt like CHORES. I had a real difficulty just performing basic hygenic things. But the energy returns, I promise you it does. Sometimes I would literally sit in a hot bath for hours on end. Buy protein shakes if you can, and if not, buy gatorade if you can. It will give you energy and loaded with electrylites, it helped me so much to get some energy.
Remember, you are doing such a great thing for youself. YOUR ALMOST THERE. KEEP PULLING THROUGH. THE WORST OF THE PSYCHIAL IS OVER, This too shall pass, and i promise you it does. Keep checking in with me so that I can be your ventilation system. You need to let everything out, everything your feeling and experiencing. Other than that, have your psyhical symtoms subsided? How do you feel mentally? Do you have any family that you can speak to about this? Are you planning on seeking treatment afterwards? You can do this. YOU CAN DO THIS!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today is day 7 for me. I had a rough night last night, still feeling a bit negative about it. But at no point was taking opiates the solution. I was even offered some.

We are going to try sone of my dr's this afternoon to get me started on an anti-D. Otherwise i might have to wait till my next appoint in early April.

The doctor that prescribed me the non-narcotic "comfort" meds said he wouldnt put me on anything else, since it is not his area of expertise.

So yea, he can prescribe methadone and such, but helping me get off it and back to life is where he draws the line. Ugh.

SLOWLY getting more sleep, and more comfortable sleep. Despite my mental breakdown last night, I am doing ok today.

I have been taking enough Immodium to stop the diarrhea since like day 3. I guess i just have to let nature take its course now that I have regained sone strength. For whatever reason, that part of withdrawal is just too much to handle during those first few days.

Thank you. I have had a hard time finding clear ways to use Immodium during detox, even my doctor said just keep taking Imodium, but then my body doesnt get a chance to balance things out on its own.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Ididit

Once again congratulations on a hard job well done. I have a few question. 9days off now. I did use your suggestions and forced my self to do a few things. And I realize I am have a long fight still ahead. No sleep, well 3 hours my brain, is sow foggy. It truly is a struggle to do anything at all, even writing this. As I said before I was @120 mg of methadone a day for 15 years. My emotions are horrible I will cry at very miner things, the odd smells that seemley only I can smell, and a new one, feels like electrical discharges down my arms and into my hands. Thank you once again for all the helpful tips. Bless you
Old 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

bad day is turning worse

My God I hurt and so sick. I don't know if comming off of methadone can kill a person, but I feel like shot. The only symptom I don't have is diarrhea. This is my tenth day. I feel my body is going to explode. I thought I was over the hump. This is so Griffin hard. I pray that this is just a bad day. Writing this is hard do to tears that don't want to stop. Thanks for reading.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.
Drummer I hope you don't mind I am going to address Marvin first, because he seems to be in a lot of pain, and then I will get back to you right away.
MARVIN - hang in there my friend. This will not be an easy task. But you have to remember, you are doing this for YOURSELF and you are almost there. To be completely honest, I remember days 10-15 very well. They were very emotional days for me. Let those tears out dear, they need to come out. You are crying because you are getting all of your emotions, thoughts, and feelings back. Deep breathes darling. It's okay. It's almost over. You are doing so amazing. DAY 10 IS OUTSTANDING. Okay, so it's been a really hard day for you. It has to get worse before it can get better sometimes. I had my bad days too, and I STILL HAVE BAD DAYS! Just less frequently. You see, methadone leaves your body in a very uneven way, so unfortunately we cannot predict when our bad days are and when our good days are. I wish I can give you a time darling, to tell you a date when everything is going to be better , but I can't. Everyone is different. I can assure you, you are so close. Keep holding through. This was a bad day for you, and everything you do feels like such a task right? I went through the same ****, but I promise you it gets better. Try to keep yourself occupied. Call someone, watch television, soak yourself in a hot bath for hours if you need to, take deep breathes. Calm down. It's okay. I can assure you it's all going to be okay. You are doing something amazing for yourself and recovery takes time. Each day that passes is another day where your brain is adjusting and going back to normal darling. Just stay calm, and think of it this way. What is the WORST that can happen???? Your doing this. You really are. Keep holding on my friend. Venting is good. Letting it out helps. Try jotting it down on a piece of paper, the way your feeling. I was taught this in recovery. So that tomorrow, you can look back on your written thoughts and see the progress you've made. Write here daily of you can, so we can chat and encourage one another to keep holding on.

DRUMMER - congrats on day 7 darling!!!!!! How are you feeling??? That person that offered you opiates, delete them from your life if you can. It is dangerous in recovery to have a trigger like that. But I am so glad to hear you didn't succumb to the devil. Opiates are the enemy and what got us here in the first place. I am so proud of you for staying strong honey. I am glad your doctor has given you some anti depressants. They should take a week or two to kick in. Also, I'm so sorry to hear you had a rough night last night, but it does get worse before it gets better right??? I'm so proud of you, your on day 7. That is incredible. Sounds like the diarrhea is still a problem for you. But hey, on the bright side, the diarrhea is actually your bodies way of releasing all of the toxins from your body. I know it's beyond annoying to have diarrhea all day everyday, but darling trust me, the diarrhea goes away and so will all of your symptoms. I used to hate waking up in the middle of the night for extreme diarrhea. But you also MUST keep in mind, your body is releasing all of the poison and toxins. Gosh I'm so proud of you guys you have no idea. Take me as an example, I felt just the way you did when you were feeling it. You are not alone by any means, I am right here with you. Rooting for you. Encouraging you. I am here for you. It gets better I promise you it gets better. Let me know how your feeling.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Better day so far

Day 10 and I wish to thank all of you folks. The keep is still effected, and I know it will for some time. Emotions are running high. But at least I have this forum that does not judge. Every day I get to experience New and different symptoms from withdawl. I know in my heart that I will never allow the medical profession to put me in a similar situation. I realize that I am responsible for my own healthcare and I will be proactive. I have been on 120 mg of methadone for 15 years. It is amazing to me that a chemical can do this to a person. My emotions are not to the extreme today, at least I am not crying or in a dark place, I hope it will last a while. I still have chronic pain from an accident and will have it for ever but that is burden to bear. I can be sure of one thing, this is not a boring time of life. It is a time to reclaim my life. Bless you folks. Thank you for being here.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Marvin!!
I am so happy to hear that you are better today. Sometimes all we need is time, to realize that everything will be okay. I'm so happy you checked in with us today here at Sober Recovery. Your doing such an awesome thing for yourself. Day 10, wow. I am so proud of you! And you are certainly right. It is the time to reclaim your life. You are being reborn. Think of it as a new you. How did you sleep last night? So happy to hear that your not as upset as yesterday. That is progress. You see- your doing it! I am on day 42 today, I still have some sneezing and runny nose but other than that I am okay. I'm soooooo happy for you Marvin! 15 years of methadone and you are finally doing it. You finally took the plunge and are well on your way to recovery. How is your appetite? Did you try a protein shake to help with the lack of energy?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Marvin and Ididit, you are both an inspiration. Just incredible.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 10

My appetite does not seem to be there but I can eat. I seem to eating more comfort foods but it seems my body wants proteins. So I have eating OK. I have things that I must accomplish on a daily basis. I didn't realize that I have become as weak as I am. This drug truly tries to steal your spirit. I will beat it, of this I have no doubt. I just wish it was going to be easier. I did the biggest physical thing so far and went out side and mowed my little lawn. To say the least it kicked my ass. I am glad I did it. Tomorrow will the first time leaving the house, I get to go have the dentist work on me. Life cannot get any better. I do have a driver to get to my appointment. If these Damn nasty smells that I smell would go away that would make me feel good. I know that must be a symptom. Tomorrow will be better than today, I hope. Thank you all the support.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Marvin, opiates deaden the sense of smell so it comes back with a vengeance for most of us. For a month, I swear I could smell a squirrel's flatulence from 5 miles away. Anything in the house was overpowering. It's like we get supervillian powers for awhile