Notices

Sober Vapers

Old 11-21-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

All kanger tanks are pyrex. They will break, I've replaced one for $5. I also have a clone with plastic tank that hits better than the KT but the plastic is getting discolored. I use only lite tobacco and a bit of blueberry so no problems with degradation. I stick with these two cuz wrapping single coils is so easy and cheap. I get off on vaping cheap. After the holidays I will be mixing juice, further dropping my daily cost.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
After the holidays I will be mixing juice, further dropping my daily cost.
If I don't count the devices - there it turned into a bit of a hobby* - me and my wife spend $5.50 for the both of us per week on DIY juice. It took me a while to get it right and experiment, but I managed to come up with a flavor we both like very much.

You should be able to make your own 30ml bottles for under $2, and if you buy your supplies wisely, for under $1.

Mind you, tobaccos (just a flavor, pure PG and VG have no taste except a slightly sweet one, even when you add nicotine) are one of the hardest to get right, and often need a couple of weeks "steeping". You will probably have more success learning about it by doing a fruit flavor (blueberry in your case) first.

* but even with all that, I'm still $4,830.00 ahead this year compared to if I were still smoking
Old 11-23-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

* but even with all that, I'm still $4,830.00 ahead this year compared to if I were still smoking
I finally broke even (I spent $103 on equipment and juices) and so far I have not smoked 526 cigarettes and have saved 105.20 which means a net saving of $2.20
I have enough juices and coils for the next couple of weeks too but knowing myself, I ll probably get some new ones LOL.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!
I've been using a Vamo V2 mod with a carto clearomizer for almost a year.
Happy with it, but my provider recently recommended me Aspire Nautilus Mini.
Anyone had any experience with it? I'm less interested about flavor and more interested in throat hit.
Thanks!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

The Nautilus Mini is generally considered the best tank around (not including rebuildable tanks) for the last few months. I only have the original Nautilus, and that was already very good - it got me off cigarettes for good - but the Mini with the new BVC coils (that also fit the original BTW) is even better.

The only thing that may be a negative is that there is not much known about the safety of the wicking material used in it. It works extremely well, but I'm just not sure what it is. That said, I hear very few people complain about it, so maybe I'm just over-cautious.

Throat hit is mainly a factor of good evaporation (the Mini surely does that), nicotine strength, PG versus VG ratio (high PG gives a better throat hit if that is your thing), and other ingredients like menthol, capsaicin and ascorbic acid.

Do you have a B&M shop in your area where you can try it out? Opinions are one thing, but your own experience is always the best. Try it with your regular juice and your Vamo to keep everything else the same.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Minor catastrophe today. Vape started leaking/sweating juice! I was told a bad coil could cause this? I thought either that or the seals. Coincidentally I did change the coil and it seems fine now.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Okay, I want to stop the cigarettes, am interested in vaping but am overwhelmed at all the choices.

I smoke about 1 pack of menthols a day, though have been stretching a pack out to 2-3 days. Money IS an issue.

I checked out the online part of a store we have in Atlanta and I'm still confused. They do have what they call beginner's kits, but can't really tell how long it would last.

The cigs cost too much and I'm tired of smelling like an ash tray. I don't want to spend as much money or more, even if it is healthier.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-27-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi Amy, I was also in a similar situation. I just went into a local shop, told them where I was with my smoking, what I could spend and the guy hooked me up pretty well. Turns out he was a former drinker! Said he was 8 years sober. Cost me about 50 bucks but I was spending 35 a week on cigs so it paid for its self, I haven't smoked in 3 weeks. Now, I am going to get some back-up equipment probably tomorrow as I fear what could happen if my vape wouldn't work right now.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Brian, yes, duff coils are a reality. If the problem was solved by replacing it it was either a badly constructed coil or missing a seal.

Amy, I was where you are 11 months ago. The choices seemed overwhelming, more expensive to start with, and I wasn't even sure it would work.

After the "wtf?" fase and thinking "why isn't this easier?" I realised that having this much choice is a good thing once you made the switch. There are many different styles of vaping, and one or more of them will suit any individual.

The mistake I see made often these days is to sell expensive and/or complicated rebuildable gear to beginners. Which is daunting and actually unsafe.

Important to know is that there are 3 generations of e-cigs: the first being the "cigalike" where you have a tiny battery attached to a tiny capsule of liquid that resembles a cigarette. Some people manage to quit smoking with them, but the constant recharging (a battery may only last an hour...) and being locked in to buying non-refillable expensive cartridges for many is a sure way to pick up smoking again.

The second generation is the eGo style battery with refillable clearomizers. These batteries last up to a full day, and the clearomizers last for several weeks, and can be refilled with liquid you buy separately. Worldwide, most people who got off smoking and into vaping full time will have used a setup like this. Some of these clearomizers are pretty cheap but have to be discarded after they are done, some come with coils that can be bought and easily replaced by the user.

From there on, there is a third generation where you can adjust the voltage or wattage of your device. These are mostly bought once the new vaper is convinced that vaping is for them, and want a better experience.

There are many other options (cartomizers, carto tanks, rebuildable systems, RBA, RTA, VV/VW, temperature controlled ... enough to make your head spin 360°C).

My advice would be to either go for a second generation device (eGo device + CE4 clearomizer) as they are effective and can be found cheap, or a good 3rd gen starter kit like the Aspire Mini starter kit.

You now spend about $40 per week on smoking (based on 1 pack/day and living in GA?); you can find a decent 2nd gen starter kit for less than that, or a very good 3rd gen starter kit (as mentioned, the Aspire stuff, a review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enbh_tqWtk8) for about 2 weeks of smoking ($79)

Many starter kits come with two batteries/devices so you can continue to vape while the other one is charging.

Best is: take your time and watch videos. Although the guy in the vid I linked to can be a bit weird, he does have very good info for beginners, so browsing his channel can be rewarding. There are many other good reviewers out there - this industry is probably the first that actually got started mostly on Youtube, and it's hard to find a product that hasn't been reviewed x times already - but he's what I used when I got started.

I would add: do not buy the cheapest you can find, avoid generation 1, and buy from a reputable store. Fake batteries and dodgy chargers can do serious damage to you and your house. When you are ready to try the water and/or have the funds, perhaps post a link to the store you intend to use, and we can help make a choice and check out prices to see you are not being, um, conned.

There is no doubt that vaping will be more expensive on day 1. But you do spend $160 a month currently, and once you have a setup you like, you only need to buy juice and coils, which will be closer to $50 a month or less. Even if you ignore health bit (but you won't once you get the hang of it, you will notice a difference!), that would mean saving $110 a month or over $1,000 a year.

HTH, and ... go for it. I was a menthol smoker too (but 4 packs/day), started out with menthol juice, and now never use menthol anymore. Vaping is not smoking, and you can avoid a lot of grief if you don't try to imitate smoking. The device will be larger, the taste will be different (and after a while, 100 times better - I promise), your taste and preference will evolve, and your lungs will thank you.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I'm so glad to see this thread. Vaping is definitely a no-no subject on the quit smoking message boards and, like you said, the vaping forums get so technical my head spins. I just want to quit smoking, I'm not looking for a new hobby.

Anyway, I'm new to it, too. I didn't know what to get so I got a Kangor Evod because that's what my brother used to quit smoking. It's good, as far as I can tell. Good vapor, nice throat hit...

But for me, a woman, the size just doesn't do anything for me. It seems so bulky, almost like a cigar. I got a lovely purple one, though, and I like that.

Then I found Vaping Vamps and ordered a kit from them. Theirs is sized more like a regular cig. (not that I wanted that, just something smaller), feels good in my hand, and is very simple to use.

Honestly, I'll probably switch between the two. The Kangor is more robust and gives the better results. But the Vaping Vamps is more stylish and enjoyable. And...I guess that matters to me...Is that weird? It's like a personal accessory to my wardrobe. Lol! Vanity........

Old 11-28-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi everyone
I am a newbie at it too but so far I LOVE my little CLK (and it's pink too)

I found that spreadsheet today with all the different sales on ecigs and juices for today (Black Friday) and Monday.
Enjoy
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...lview?sle=true
Old 11-28-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Chief, thank you for the information. It turns out I had the wrong kind of coil in it! I went to the shop tonight and got the right coils along with a new tank. Went with the Kangertech Aerotank V2. Stainless steel, glass, adjustable airflow and holds alot more juice than my Evod 2. I was having to fill that thing twice a day. I will probably use both! I'm also at 10 mg's working my way to 8. This tank is VERY nice. No more toys for a while! The vape shop I got my original set up and the parts tonight from seem to care to take time with their customers where as the one I went to for those coils (that were wrong!) just seemed to kind of want to get me out the door. A lesson to other new people to be careful.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brian316 View Post
No more toys for a while!
Ahem. You don't want to know how often I said that.

The vape shop I got my original set up and the parts tonight from seem to care to take time with their customers where as the one I went to for those coils (that were wrong!) just seemed to kind of want to get me out the door. A lesson to other new people to be careful.
It's great to have a shop like that. Many of the shops that have been around for a while have motivated and passionate people in them. Some of the newer ones... well, let's just say there's a lot of money to be gained from vaping right now. I'm generalizing of course.

The Aerotank II is great. I have an Aerotank Mini for my wife, I tested it for a while, and it performs very well indeed.

Mind you... Kanger has brought out many different coils in the last few months, some compatible with other tanks, some not so. Even for a shop it's not always easy to get it right, but if your shop takes the time to make sure you have the right stuff, it's worth a lot!

PS: tomorrow I will be 900 days sober and 330 days smoke-free.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Hey guys, just wanted to check in and give you all a little heads up; just ordered two sample packs from vape wild and I am impressed to say the least! My husband and I picked out 12 different flavors (10oz bottles) and for every $10 you spend, you get 1 free sample (their pick/nice surprise) and I'm not sure yet how the point system works yet, but you also get free stuff as your points add up. So, for $33 and change, we got 15 different flavors for a little over $2 a bottle! Amazing bargain, and so far the flavors have been spot on the product description, and there are 7 pages of flavors (I didn't count the specific total) oh yeah, and you get to select your VG/PG ratio too. My husband and I were particularly impressed with the hand written note jotted on our order sheet wishing us a happy day and requesting we let them know how we liked their products. For $2 a bottle and free stuff I recommend y'all give em a shot. I think you'll be pleased.

Last edited by torquemax777; 11-29-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-29-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I just got my order from them too, the tres leches is like a delicious caramel flan but the one I am absolutely in love with is the strawberries cream. Like you I got two free bottles with my little order
What is interesting is that the strawberries cream is only 3mg (I vape at 12 and have been smoke free from a 2 packs a day habit for less than 3 weeks). I vaped at 3 yesterday evening and had no cravings. I have another order at 12 coming in and I wanted to get down to 8 at my next order but I am now considering going straight down to 3
Old 11-29-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Chief, congratulations on your sober time and cigarette free time! When I see your name and pic I hear Jack Nicholson yelling out in my head, "Chief put his hand up!!"lol Anyway, yeah this tank is nice, it hits HUGE. I just have to be careful about the glass. Torque thank you for the info, I may check that site out. Carlotta, I say stick with 3 if you are honestly good with it. To all, for what it's worth- I was talking to a guy at AA this morning who had recently cig relapsed. Said he began vaping at 26 mgs and over 3 months got himself to 6. Said he just felt like a cig and decided to have one, and that turned into a week of pack a day waking up coughing. So now he's back vaping and staying at 12 mgs. I'll be honest, I had a bad day when I cut from 12 mgs to 10 myself so I'm trying to slow and steady cut the nicotine. I vote for vaping having its own subsection here!
Old 11-29-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Nicotine is not bad for you! It's all the other junk in modern cigarette's that will kill you. Carpet glue for god's sake?1
Old 11-30-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on 900 days sober and 330 days smoke free ChiefBromden
Old 12-01-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I've dipped for the last 5 years or so. Smoking cigarettes here and there, but dipping was my thing. It'd gotten pretty bad in the last year or so. 1-2 cans of grizzly wintergreen every day. About ten days ago I got a sore in my mouth. It hurt and wouldn't go away. I spent my Thanksgiving break being terrified that I had mouth cancer. I still dipped, but only about 1-2 lips a day instead of 5. Used lozenges to instead. The sore's gotten smaller and doesn't hurt anymore, but it's still there. I'm giving it a few more days before I go to the doctor.

Two days ago I ran out of dip. I decided I was tired of it and my whole cancer paranoia episode made me see it in a new light. I used strictly lozenges from Saturday morning through last night when I went out and bought an e cig. I have one vial of 24mg liquid and two of 18mg. So far I've been chain-vaping the 24mg, but haven't dipped. Haven't even been really triggered except for when I wrote grizzly wintergreen in the above paragraph lol. Hopefully I can make the switch and worry about weaning myself off the e cig later.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
torquemax777

maybe OT?

This may be a little "off topic" but this thread seems to be covering everything "vape" related. I'm overweight, and I'm starting to notice with all the sweet yummy vapes available I'm eating and snacking a whole bunch less in quanity and less often. Yay! Don't know if it's real, or just a placebo effect, or if the sweet vapes do effect blood sugar, but either way, it's a very pleasing side effect. I know in the past when I tried quitting smoking cold turkey, I always ate like a pig! Especially sweets. So now I may not just get healthier from quitting smoking; I may not gain weight, and in fact, it may contribute to some weight loss.

Just wondering, am I the only one who has noticed this wonderful side effect, or is it just me?