Notices

Food for Thought sober weekender thread - Dec 19-21

Old 12-19-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Happy birthday, ClassyPants!

I like to munch on cheese and pepperoni.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Poor BigS. Beaches for the holidays.

I've gotten my Tolkien fix for the day as Mr. Ruby and I went to the new hobbit movie. And walked out of the movie before it was over. I enjoyed the beginning, the first hour or so, but then it got to be too much. And I enjoyed The Lord of the Rings. Disappointing.

I have to get the kids from school but wanted to say hey quickly. Happy birthday classypants, and well done on 7 days. Thanks Mec for the words of wisdom and petals, no on the three points. Our church uses grape juice too. Wouldn't bother with liquored chocs however tempting.

See you all later! Kids.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I have a holiday song to share. It is a version of "O Holy Night." Patience will be rewarded!

Old 12-19-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Yes, poor me! I had food poisoning all week and now I need to be at airports at 4am on Sunday and 5am on Monday! (it all depends on how you spin it, eh?)

I think that brings to mind an important topic of how alcoholics and those with depression think. For example, the above sentence is 100% true...that's one way to look at my situation. And if you look at it from that angle, it appears I'm in rough shape.

However, if I simply change the way I think, and choose my words differently, I could say: I am heading to the beach and doing some exciting traveling, and have recovered from a brief illness.

So for everyone here (myself included) who is used to looking at the negative side of things, maybe simply changing your thinking and choice of words will help brighten your mood! We have ALL battled and are working to overcome a serious disease/illness/condition in alcoholism, and we are all here today talking about normal life issues. That's pretty amazing in itself!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I agree BigS...

I am alone with no one this Christmas. My cats don't get that I picked out that high end catnip special. Being alone also means I won't be receiving any gifts either.

----

I am free to do what I want when I want to this year! No obligations to buy things just to buy things. The kitties will get their high from the good catnip and I will get mine from watching them! My tree is up because Christmas is a holiday I enjoy alone or not!

hmmm... good exercise in positive thinking!!!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

That is a very good exercise.

I find myself often going through the day carping about every little thing because it makes me laugh. It must sound incredibly annoying to everybody around me, though. It doesn't matter how you slice it: negativity sounds negative.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

That's the spirit, Weasel!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by classypants19 View Post
Hi all, I'm on day 7 of my sobriety and would love to join this weekend group. Today is also my birthday. My goal is to get through my birthday and Christmas sober. I'm thankful for SR and all of you guys.
Welcome! Happy birthday!!! Treat yourself to something very special. Non-alcoholic of course.
As for sugar, lately I've been craving butter tarts, but don't keep any around the house for the very same reason I don't keep alcohol. Out of sight, out of mind. A good friend of mine is a food addict, and goes to OA, and we are supporting each other this season with our addictions. She is a teacher so lots of goodies get brought to the school around this time. I can't imagine how I would manage if everyone brought wine instead of cakes and cookes (:
I can imagine! I went to the school today and saw tons of goodies in the teachers lounge too. Can you please ask your friend if she has any ideas what somebody could bring instead? I'd like to do something for the teachers but looks like there's cookies overload.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by classypants19 View Post
Thanks for all the b'day wishes. I feel blessed.

My husband and I are going out for dinner. I will not be drinking my usual glass of wine. I'm determined to stay sober. My drinking days are over. Do restaurants normally serve non alcoholic wine? I've never noticed.
Bleh, you don't want non-alcoholic wine! It tastes like vinegar!!! Maybe sparkling water with lime or cranberry instead?
Old 12-19-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Checking in and am going to work on the positive thinking. Thanks BigS!

Heading out for pizza and the movie. I hope we like it more than you liked The Hobbit, Ruby.

I am tired but feeling good. I'll check in tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

I'm in for the sober weekend again! A lot to do still. Looking forward to the break from this stress and to finally start enjoying it all instead...

Steamed shrimp and salad for dinner, salted caramel ice cream for dessert!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charleesavedme View Post
Heading out for pizza and the movie.
What are you going to see? I haven't been to the movies in ages...

Anybody watches the show Mom? It's a comedy about recovering alcoholic mom and daughter. I really enjoy it.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I'm back. Thanks everyone. BigS, I'm glad you are feeling better. In my rush to catch up on my reading and get a post in I missed that bit. I know it's not all perfect. For any of us. I think the beach sounds fantastic and having the means and I time to go? Well, I'm a bit jealous, really.

Weasel, before I married and had kids and was living alone with my two cats (one was a different cat and not the young punk cat) I put up and decorated a tree. It made me feel better. It brought a feeling of warmth to the house and I didn't feel alone, but comfortable. I still sometimes feel alone, even in a crowd. It's hard.

I am now going to pick up my daughter from a friends house and bring her to my parents. I'm going to my beginners AA meeting. My son is staying at home with Mr. Ruby who will fall asleep on the couch. It's been a rough evening. My husband wants our son to practice his hand writing which is atrocious. Of course he wants him to start on the last day of school before the Christmas break. There was a lot of crying and drama which I have a lot of trouble with (unless I'm creating it That was a sad comment but I'm trying to wean myself of that. This just stinks sometimes.

So I have to leave. I will check back later. Melki, Charlee was planning to see the new Night at the Museum movie. I've asked for reviews.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders!
Thought I had previously climbed aboard the sober bus, but apparently no.
Alas, it has been that kind of a week. Home a smidge early from work to get this weekend started!
I have christmas projects to work on and finish this weekend. They are saying rain for the duration, so that fits nicely into my plans.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

well happy birthday already classypants.

BigS - hopefully it wasn't Montezuma's Revenge... hang in there,

Ruby, you thought I would forget you? It's only 4 days away. Happy Festivus!

Old 12-19-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

BigS, I know that central american sickness. Very sorry for you.

Gilmer, that's my favorite Christmas song.

This one's good.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Checking in this evening. Decided to make falafels for the potluck today. Even though they're relatively easy to put together, I always forget how much time they take to cook, especially with a double-batch, so no zumba. All the falafels were eaten, so no leftovers. Husband was disappointed there were no leftover falafels. I posted my recipe in the recipe section. I did get to work out this afternoon and probably got a better workout than what I would have gotten with zumba.

Anyone going to the chat meeting tonight? I hope to see you there.

BigS-Just loved your statement on how we think about things and phrase things. Very powerful!

Weasel-I liked what you did. I hope you have a special Christmas with your kitties.

Melki-your dinner sounds wonderful!

Classypants-Just to add to what Melki said, sparkling juices are usually pretty tasty and are also festive. My family used to spend new years eve with some friends who got sober (they now have 30 years of sobriety) and that is what we drank. Was tasty.

Ruby-It sounds like you have had a rough day between the movie and the drama at home. I am thinking of you. *hugs*

I hope you all are having a great sober Friday! I always enjoy being on the bus with each and every one of you!!
Old 12-19-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

That's a really good one, Turtle!
Old 12-19-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Do your best

Weasel ive just went through this entire thread this food idea thing was genius

Who knew ? take out floats LOL

Eggs benedict on a hubcap...Cos theres no place like chrome for the hollandaise sauce

Your all completly awesome ppl
Old 12-19-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

strategery, I love zumba! Don't get enough of it lately.