Notices

Food for Thought sober weekender thread - Dec 19-21

Old 12-18-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Conquest - I love skinnytaste.com too! She has great food.

Ruby - I'll give the review of Night at the Museum...I hope it's good. We liked the 2nd one more than the first and watch it every Christmas.

Son was in a bit of a mood tonight as I think he believes his birthday is not going to get much attention. I think he'll be pleasantly surprised.

My daughter and I survived the mall and only had one disagreement, which was minor on the scale of disagreements mothers and their teenage daughters have. We are listening to the audiobook of Amy Poehler's Yes Please. It's really funny and made the drive much better.

Have a great night..i'm off for Ben and Jerry's.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

the miracle is happening! she declared she is decorating the tree, it's happening right now. I started digging for some christmas tunes but ended up with marshall tucker band - within reach.

isn't this the last weekend before christmas?
Old 12-18-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Weasel, I will loan you a pair of ear plugs if you visit. I look forward to the quiet when my avatar cat is sitting next to me, snoring away. What is it with older cats and snoring anyway? There is usually mass chaos around here and my husband is loud to begin with as I think he is hard of hearing, or so that's what he says when he doesn't remember me telling him something.

Charlee, I really enjoyed the second Night at the Museum. I thought the villains were funny. I'm glad you survived the mall. I try to steer clear.

Bedtime for little people. Quiet and cat snoring soon? I have to remember that I'm fasting because I have a physical tomorrow at 8:15. And NO coffee before then. Sigh.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Thanks for the cooking ideas. I changed themes a little and went with sesame oil and a little soy on the stir fry. Plus there was a lot of vegetable stock once the veggies cooked down, so I didn't need to add any liquid. Pretty good!

Day off tomorrow, but lots to be done! Christmas is rapidly approaching!
Old 12-18-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hello all. Checking in for tonight. I did really well on my final, so that was a bit of a relief. It's been too busy of a day for me. I did some work and looked up articles for several hours, took care of household chores and did some grocery shopping.

CSM-you went to the mall? I could barely handle Sam's club this afternoon with the crowds and insanity.

CSM and Conquest-I also love skinnytaste. The food always turns out wonderfully and is flavorful.

Ruby-I had no idea cats snored. That is great your wifi is working so much better. I hope the physical goes well. No coffee though??!!

BigS-cerviche from the back of a truck? I am scared enough to try it making it myself. I hope you are feeling better.

Happyandfree-I am sorry to hear you stomach is still bothering you, but it sounds like you're getting better slowly.

With all this talk about food, weight and potential diabetes, there is a bike ride in multiple cities across the nation that raises money for diabetes called Tour de Cure. They have various distances to where if you wanted to make a goal for the new year, it's a great way to do it and lose weight at the same time. I would make sure you're okay with the fundraising minimum prior to signing up though.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Helllllooooo !!!!! Weekend before Christmas I took tomorrow off to try and get all the stuff I have been procrastinating with done. Which is the majority of my shopping, baking and wrapping.
I have been really enjoying any and all foods these past few months , but anything with sugar especially .
New year= new diet
Funny story - the vet's office called and said Marley ( my dog... I know, original, huh ? ) won the Christmas Basket raffle, and I immediately thought, 'wait - I don't remember her filling out any ballots'
Old 12-18-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Wow. ..just wrote a long, chatty post and lost it trying to figure out who is making shrimp stir fry. Nons? Anyway, it sounds good and I may get some shrimp tomorrow. Although I love it sautéed in garlic and served on pasta - like scampi. Yum!

Anyhoo...........my stomach is finally recovered. I actually worked til 8pm tonight because I was so happy to feel good once again. Hallelujah. I wouldn't wish that one on my worst enemy, as they say. ..so now I'm ready for the weekend.

As far as food is concerned, it's a tough one cause we have to eat. ..I am able to keep most in moderation/control, but not cookies and chips. So I normally don't have them in my house. If I do have to have them, I buy the small snack packs. But this time of year I don't stress about it, Tis the season and all. I get back on track every January.

Well I guess I'll see if anything is on tv.
Does anyone know the etiquette regarding when we notice someone missing on this site? Do you give a shout out or do you mind your own business. It has happened to me in the past and I couldn't help being concerned. But I suppose people come and go.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Not sure on official policy or anything, but i dont see anything wrong with sending a friendly private message to follow up and show support for someone. I know my messages send an email notification to my phone, might bring someone back.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Well I guess Christmas is just around the corner so I had better start to get organised.
I too hate shopping. I have decided not to stress.... says mrs stresshead! And shop on Tuesday and wrap on Wednesday. .. not leaving it tooo late??
I'm more concerned about keeping off the wine..... must add to my toolkit. Any suggestions?
May I ask for people's advice/opinions here if not I will post elsewhere. ...
What's people's thoughts on:
1.liqure chocolate
2. Wine in food
3. Communion wine
Hope everyone is doing ok.xx
Old 12-18-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi Petals, i am in the early days (day 69), avoiding any food with traces of alcohol, especially all of these holiday treats with liqueurs and wine. Luckily, my church uses grape juice for communion, not wine. But I believe the choice is whatever you are comfortable with.
Again, excellent question. I'm curious to hear how others are handling it.

Thunderstorm + stuffy nose = awake in Texas
Grrrrrr. Come on weekend! This girl needs rest.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:57 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hey wait a minute, nobody told me yesterday was Thursday!?

Well, as per vittles, I'll go with something I can only get at a certain time of year.
Harvested personally;
fed a diet of planted corn, pumpkin, zucchini, radish, sugar beet, chicory and alfalfa......
(never hits the fridge nor freezer)...........
Rubbed with Kosher salt and EVOO, seared on the grill, full tilt,
crispy on the outside and raaare inside.
fresh tenderloin, sliced into medallions, then dipped in hot butter.

Whitetail deer, that is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tenderloin_WT12.jpg (87.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 12-19-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi all, I'm on day 7 of my sobriety and would love to join this weekend group. Today is also my birthday. My goal is to get through my birthday and Christmas sober. I'm thankful for SR and all of you guys.

As for sugar, lately I've been craving butter tarts, but don't keep any around the house for the very same reason I don't keep alcohol. Out of sight, out of mind. A good friend of mine is a food addict, and goes to OA, and we are supporting each other this season with our addictions. She is a teacher so lots of goodies get brought to the school around this time. I can't imagine how I would manage if everyone brought wine instead of cakes and cookes (:
Old 12-19-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lunar View Post
Hey wait a minute, nobody told me yesterday was Thursday!?

Well, as per vittles, I'll go with something I can only get at a certain time of year.
Harvested personally;
fed a diet of planted corn, pumpkin, zucchini, radish, sugar beet, chicory and alfalfa......
(never hits the fridge nor freezer)...........
Rubbed with Kosher salt and EVOO, seared on the grill, full tilt,
crispy on the outside and raaare inside.
fresh tenderloin, sliced into medallions, then dipped in hot butter.

Whitetail deer, that is.
It't 5:30 am, the hell with the oatmeal, I want deer steak!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:41 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, cp19!

Old 12-19-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Happy Friday to All.

Hmmm ... lots of food for thought here.

I've tried to be careful over the last month to not go overboard with the caffeine and sugar. I'm drinking a lot of herbal teas with Splenda instead of sugar. Seltzer water, particularly if I can combine it with a little bit of real cranberry juice.

I'm also big on smoothies. I started out just buying the ready made ones in the grocery store, but replaced my blender and started making them from home, that way I can include some protein powder to balance the sugar load of all the fruit. Haven't tried juicing yet. But I have a hunch I might be getting one of those for Christmas.

I have a couple of awkward social engagements to navigate this weekend, plus last minute Christmas shopping. I hate to say it, but I'll be glad when Christmas is over. Or maybe I'll be glad when this weekend is over; it's going to be jam-packed. I've really got to plan ahead better next year, and not get myself into the last-minute trap. At least work will be a short week next week, so 5 days off in a row will be SWEET!!!

Old 12-19-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Happy B-Day, CP19! And congratulations on 7 days.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by classypants19 View Post
Hi all, I'm on day 7 of my sobriety and would love to join this weekend group. Today is also my birthday. My goal is to get through my birthday and Christmas sober. I'm thankful for SR and all of you guys.
Welcome CP to SR and the weekender!!! Happy birthday and to a full week of living sober!!!

I know when we start it does not feel much like living sober but it will. New routines. new eating patterns. They naturally come in time. Again... it may not feel that way.

But the weekender is always here if you need anything.

k
Old 12-19-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good Morning, Good Friday, Good Sober Day, Good Grief!!!

"Working from home" today but since most of my development team is out at a holiday off site I will simply check in on my iPad from where ever I land today. Mall for Xmas shopping? check in... Just after I get a nice massage? check in... you get the idea... Work Work Work!

AV did a drive by yesterday. Shot a warning shot to see if I would react. It caught me off guard so I didn't quite see it was him until we were already talking. I promptly showed him the door and put together a better plan for the next two weeks. Hence the massage and shopping.

K
Old 12-19-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I told the wife I was going out this morning. Went to bed later than I wanted. By the time I get there it will be 7:30. Too late. So it looks like an afternoon quest is in the plans.
If I go to sleep at a reasonable hour tonight, I'll be in my tree by 6.30.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by petals View Post
Well I guess Christmas is just around the corner so I had better start to get organised.
I too hate shopping. I have decided not to stress.... says mrs stresshead! And shop on Tuesday and wrap on Wednesday. .. not leaving it tooo late??
I'm more concerned about keeping off the wine..... must add to my toolkit. Any suggestions?
May I ask for people's advice/opinions here if not I will post elsewhere. ...
What's people's thoughts on:
1.liqure chocolate
2. Wine in food
3. Communion wine
Hope everyone is doing ok.xx
liqueur filled chocolates contain little or no alcohol. Some say non-alcoholic on the label, such as kalua and baileys, in some, there is a miniscule amount, it is mostly lost in processing,

Cooking with wine, same thing - assuming the cook knows what he is doing, the alcohol is burned off or evaporates during cooking, unless you add it at the end and too much,

It all depends on what may trigger you. If just the thought of it or the taste sends you to the package store wanting more, then stay away from it.

communion wine - that is a different animal all together, stay away from it. just consume the host, the padre will understand. Ever wonder why there are more catholic priests in the program than any other clergy? Because there can NEVER be any leftovers at communion. So if he holds three masses, by noon on Sunday morning he will have consumed about three glasses of wine (blood) already. You don't just pour the blood of Jesus down the drain. Some priests make sure there is enough left over for their Sunday buzz. Factoid for you. Ever notice when he's 'cleaning up' that he slams what's left?