Notices

Food for Thought sober weekender thread - Dec 19-21

Old 12-18-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm in my usual window seat. Erm food is now an issue with me.... gained so much weight since stopping the wine. Will hopefully look at it in the new year....
But I have to say chocolate and ice cream. ...
Gotta ask... what's seltzer?
Here in the UK alker seltzer is a medication. ...
Thanks xx
Old 12-18-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Seltzer is just club soda, petals. Alka Seltzer is the stomach medicine.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Nons... I use those cooking wines that are non-alcoholic. Same flavor in my book.

And I have about 20 bottles of "seltzer" soda water in my house at all times. Thats all I drink.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

So the missus is still napping. thank you, thank you,

All of this cookie talk,
I wanted to make toll house cookies. I haven't made cookies in years, I used to hand decorate them - works of art my cutouts were. BUT, I had a dish of black cherry with walnuts, almonds and dark chocolate mixed. One small dish left - I got this ice cream over a month ago I think. After eating the ice cream I am over the desire to make cookies.
Sister showing up this weekend and the tree decorations are still sitting in front of the tree. She has till tomorrow or everything goes back into the basement. I lit the fireplace last nite - felt good coming from outside and drying off in front of heat for a change. The pilot lit on the first attempt - rare. Must be something different on how I do things now.
Decided against outside xmas decorations.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Going with a shrimp & vegetable stir fry tonight for dinner. What can I use instead of white wine for a flavorful liquid?
Apple cider vinegar might work very well Non.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Gummy candies from 7-11
Old 12-18-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

throw in some cut up apples with the stir fry and some orange slices, orange zest or lemon zest, be creative, small berries - cranberries too - the raisin kind, grape skins,
Old 12-18-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Ya**!

havent eaten yet today, y'all are killin me
Old 12-18-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I was going to say vinegar as a wine substitute.

I said lightning fast on the new wi fi, being facetious. Wow. All I can say is wow. It is substantially faster than it was before. I got my expensive amazon shopping done in a second.

Ok. Kids are whining to go home. Daughter misses her best friend the Christmas tree. I will see you all later.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Ruby... I would love to spend a day in your home. It's a trip! So quiet here. My cat is snoring louder than my candy crush game. Zzzzzz......
Old 12-18-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Raising a hand here too on having food issues....heck, I think I become addicted to anything that makes me feel good I've recently rejoined a weight-loss support program and down 8 pounds so far....but I must say....cookies are my downfall....especially yummy Christmas cookies and there are aplenty at work that are left as gifts on my desk! Nothing like a cookie and a cup of coffee...perfect combination. I just went and brushed my teeth so no more cookies tonight!

I'm not feeling as frazzled this year with the holiday approaching. I'm being reasonable this year with finances and gift giving. I'm generally on target with my shopping...as a female people think it is strange that I do not like shopping...but I do not. Don't like cooking either. Maybe that is why I'm divorced
Old 12-18-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

your candy crush game snores?
Old 12-18-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm in!

One of my favourite foods to eat when I'm stressed is cheese...any kind. In fact, you could melt cheese on top of anything, and I would probably eat it. I'm reminded of Homer Simpson: "hmmm, 50 slices of American cheese"!

I'm so excited! My brother and his fiancee are arriving home this weekend. Christmas and the wedding will be tough (visiting relations) but I'll get through it.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Old 12-18-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Smart a....
Old 12-18-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Braum's Ice Cream Sandwiches... :P
Old 12-18-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Welcome plure! To both SR. and the weekender thread.

We get together every weekend to muddle through as a sober team.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thank you Weasel1966 and that's awesome about the weekender thread...can't wait to see what everyone has to say from weekend to weekend.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I'm in! Pass the peanutbutter, my number one indulgence.

Skinnytaste.com is one of my favorite sites for cooking up healthier versions of food that I'm craving. There's something for everyone on there. Enjoy it and bring on another sober weekend, please!

Hi, Plure! This thread rocks.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Where's the over-eaters recovery forum?!?!? I've been pigging out a little too much lately. Too much caffeine too... way too much actually. I work in IT and I already drink too much pop/soda. Oh well, one step at a time. At least I have been pretty good about going to the gym.

4 weeks sober today, but this has actually been one of my harder weeks. I was coasting there for a bit but the cravings are getting stronger. Work stress + holiday stress + unemployed wife stress is starting to build. Trying to stay positive and remember that booze doesn't help, but makes things worse. On top of everything I think I am getting another cold (had one that I just got rid of) so that makes me even more miserable.

Stay strong fellow weekenders. One more work day for me and a short holiday week, hopefully with a lot less stress.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I hope things can balance out Kero as the holidays can be a tough time for people in early sobriety. I think it is so key to stay focused on making it through this holiday season sober. I know for me, I got clean on November 24th two years ago....getting through the first Christmas holiday as well as New Years was REALLY important for me. Any significant event that can be passed through sober is important! Once you have done it once, it is sooooo much easier to do it again as you can remember that you've done it before so you can do it again.