Notices

Food for Thought sober weekender thread - Dec 19-21

Old 12-19-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Checking in, had my first drinking dream last night and actually woke myself up to get out of it. There was a tumbler of vodka and then a struggle over whether to refill with water or vodka. I think vodka was winning so I had to end the dream!

Happy birthday and welcome, classy pants!

I will be making Christmas Dinner for 8 adults. Lunars deer tenderloin has me thinking about a beef tenderloin with mushroom sauce, au gratin potatoes, a salad. Ideas for sides?

A little shopping wrapping and baking this weekend. Not sleeping well so I know the stress is affecting me, but I am not and I will not drink. So there!
Have a great Friday and remember a couple deep breaths often chases the AV away.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

welcome Bernie, for a side, try steamed carrot coins or broccoli, something good that will add color to the plate, color contrast looks good on a plate and is more inviting - it makes the whole plate look tasty, so it is. Appealing to the eye influences the taste buds.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good Morning Sobersaurs!

Welcome and happy birthday CP19!

Cleaned off my desk and paid bills before logging in this morning. I tend to let stuff accumulate, so I have to purge every now and again. It's nice to have an uncluttered workspace around me.

The cookie madness needs to stop! Mrs. Non makes cookies just about every night during the holidays. She makes a loaf of ginger cookie dough on the weekends and then cuts off slices and bakes them in the evening. My daughter made like 12 dozen cookies for a friend's baby shower and kept shoving the mis-shapen ones at me to get rid of them. Then, 5 different co-workers brought cookies to the office yesterday. Stop this madness!

Have a great Friday all!
Old 12-19-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

happy birthday CP19!

Old 12-19-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Classypants and welcome to SR! I hope you have a wonderful day. Keep it sober with us.
Good morning eveyone - let the weekend begin! Well, later, that is. Gotta work today but I think it will be weasel-style. I'm excited about the weekend. So much holiday hustle and bustle going on. So much fun. So glad to be able to enjoy it, rather than ruining it with alcohol.
OK - see you all later.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Don't usually jump on the weekender train but this one is tasty. Mmm... all that food !

I've just had last's night chicken curry, bombay potatoes and pilau rice for lunch, home made - from scratch, not from a jar- my daughter's favourite.

Tonight...well...dare I confess ? I have a millionaire's dessert, plus cream, for tonight...
in case you don't know, that's biscuit base, chocolate pudding, and soft caramel in the same tub. I add cream on top, just to bump up the calories a bit...

But hey, if you can eat eat cookies with bacon....

Happy Birthday, Classypants

Have a happy weekend, wonderful sober friends (((())))
Old 12-19-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Ho Ho Ho

We all snacked on 'Naked Popcorn' from Costco while doing some Chores yesterday. A lil Coconut Oil and Salt on it. Tasty stuff. It comes in a Bag about the size of a College Dorm Beanbag Chair. Even the Pooch is into the Food Gig here on The Weekender Thread. Hey, it's the Holidays. As my favorite Chinese Politician was named a few Decades ago: Chao en Lai. Say it out loud.-)

Today is errands, and either doing some upgrades on our Automated Gate, or plugging along on installing some Electrical for the fancy/schmancy Garage Door Opener we put in a while back. Even though I insulated and finished all the Interiors, I'm doing Surface Mount Conduit Electrical. I like the Loft/Industrial look of it. Easy to do, and safe when finished. Decent Weather today. Clear & 40 F Degrees. In the blazing Sun, that's warmer than it reads. Hopefully, that means a trip to the Dog Park. Almost finished with a Load of Laundry. As John Wayne said: 'We're burning Daylight'.

Happy B Day CP19! The rest of you fellow Geezers? Have a nice regular day!

'Sleigh Ride' ~ The Ronettes

-----
Old 12-19-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

MM... I hope that's popcorn or your pooch has a nose candy problem. Not like a bunch of us never had that issue... me included.

And those eyes are killer. So sweet!!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Good morning all. I hope you're having a great start to your Friday. Today is the potluck. I still need to put something together.
I was hoping to do zumba this morning so I could give this fitness instructor a gift for the holidays. I've been taking her classes for the past year, but the potluck is at noon and zumba is over at 11:30a.
We were supposed to get snow yesterday and one of our weatherman constantly uses the term, "hamster size snowflakes". When watching the news yesterday, the weatherman showed this image that someone created. I thought it was funny and wanted to share.

Lunar-the meal you had looks just wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Happyandfree-I am glad you are finally 100%.

Classypants-happy b-day and congrats on a week sober!

Petals-I just avoid consuming anything with alcohol since I am still early in my recovery. I thought Lbrain had some great advice.

Weasel-I am glad you resisted the drive-by from your AV. Mine does random surprise attacks. Sneaky buggers! A massage sounds wonderful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hamstersizesnowflakes.jpg (93.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 12-19-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Morning everyone, and happy birthday classypants19!!!!

Hope everyone has a safe day out there braving the holiday crowds!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Things to remember for christmas ,

1) It's just 4 days to get through .

2) SR is here if i feel lonely and want to have a chat to people to check in with .

3) if i sit indoors this year and don't join in then it's ok … there will be other sober christmases to enjoy once i've built my sober muscles ..

4) Christmas doesn't need to be wonderful , it's just another one day at a time to get through

5) if you feel lonely and isolated and all your friends drink , this is not a reason to pick up it is a spur to planning how to make good sober friends in the future … discomfort briefly might need to be endured ( sorry guys ) ( but were all here for you so it ain't that bad )

Right friday afternoon and home early , gonna sit down and do a whole lot of sitting down … maybe drink a cup of tea ..

Later , m
Old 12-19-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

thanks for the reminder - I have to get that massage/spa package for the wife before xmas arrives. I can't put some handsome young beefcake under the tree, so a gift certificate will have to do.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Awesome reminder M!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I'm going to try my hardest!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Way to go Tang!!!! Thats all any of us can do. But if you need extra support we will be here!
Old 12-19-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

well, Trach likes to keep this thread at the top...

Just finished lunch with mrs. Mexican omelet, bacon and potatoes, pom juice...

got up too late before the deer punched out from night shift this morning. heading out to catch the afternoon shift punching back in.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the b'day wishes. I feel blessed.

My husband and I are going out for dinner. I will not be drinking my usual glass of wine. I'm determined to stay sober. My drinking days are over. Do restaurants normally serve non alcoholic wine? I've never noticed.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Classy, happy b-day!

As for non-alcoholic wine, it's not too common. However, most folks (including myself) recommend staying away from that kind of stuff too. In treatment, I once heard my counselor say "Non-alcoholic beers are for non-alcoholics". I think that's probably a good point. I'm not a beer drinker or a wine drinker anymore, period. Just me.

Interesting day here. Closing up shop for a couple weeks thanks to schools being closed (I work for an education-based company). Just finishing up some loose ends and then I'm on vacation. In 48 hours I'll be away in San Jose. Sometimes I'm not sure why I do these things, fly around and travel, when I'm already in paradise! But, I needed a trip to the beach and also needed to renew my Visa per the Guatemalan gov't, so Costa Rica is a good a place as any.

Just had a local friend here bring up an interesting business proposal during my lunch break. We were chewing the fat out in the front yard and he said a few words that caught my attention. Something to think about during hammock time on the beach next week, surely....hmmmm....one step at a time, I guess.

PS - Ruby, I agree 100% on the Similarion. I have absolutely no clue what's going on with that book and could never follow it.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Here's a groaner:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
eggs benedict.jpg (77.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 12-19-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
*Note to self: never buy ceviche that's being sold out of the back of a pickup truck.
Poor, poor BigS!