Notices

Food for Thought sober weekender thread - Dec 19-21

Old 12-18-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow those cookies look awesome Nons.

I myself have been relegated to peanut butter and saltines today, as I came down with a nasty case of food poisoning this week. *Note to self: never buy ceviche that's being sold out of the back of a pickup truck.

Absolutely limping towards vacation break here. Friday when the whistle blows I'll be scott free from the daily grind for a while, and I need this break. Hopping on a quick flight to Costa Rica on Sunday morning and then an even quicker flight from San Jose to a small Caribbean outpost on Monday. Zooming across the Central American landscape on small planes, crossing international borders and exploring small corners of the world: thanks, sobriety!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey team... Not having food issues it was not on the tip of my mind that others do. Sorry for any insensitivity.

But certainly we discuss foods and craving here regularly. So hope everyone will still feels welcome. This is about staying sober on weekends and how we accomplish that together.

Tired of working today. Playing soda cruch instead.

Think I will "work from home" tomorrow!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by ktwsober View Post
A thick strawberry banana smoothie, I know, more of a drink, but healthy and fills me up.

I have to make an appearence at an event Saturday night. Probably about 30 people total and 10 or so extremely heavy users. Got my escape plan all ready in place, going to leave very early before the craziness starts
Good you have a plan ktw! Let us know how things go.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
That ain't right!
That's three rights, working in unison to make not a left, but euphoria.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

bacon and chocolate is a DELICACY here...
photo courtesy of David Bradley Chocolate factory...yes, they deliver Nons.
chocolate bacon.jpg
Old 12-18-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!! I'm on the bus!!

Not much happening this weekend, having a quiet one before the madness of visited every living relative and their brother next week for Xmas!!

Let's do this!!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I ran out to get a pot for the palm I purchased. Note to self: Just because you didn't transplant it yet doesn't mean you don't have to water it!

She went shopping earlier today with a friend and just returned.
I was just given a fashion show, and also found out what I got her for Christmas.

I have to attend the post show celebration now
Old 12-18-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Coffee ice cream and I have a " thing "

Old 12-18-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Maybe I should add bacon !!!!!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I could really go for a Starbucks Frappuccino. Mocha.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
In like ...something.

So, ya'll have fun with this! I'm trying to stay in my size tens at age 60.
You suck! Not really, I'm just jealous.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey y'all,
after a few hectic weeks at work this week seems quite calm .. I'm taking it a bit easy and doing the bare minimum … a lot of others seem to be coasting or not doing stuff … so as a temp i think they are getting their pound of flesh from me !

What helped me get through .. triple chock ice cream … for sure food issues are part of my problem but alcohol had to go if i were to get anywhere with anything .. first things first ..

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-18-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Empirical Test

All this Food Talk made me wonder...

Yep.

Take Away floats.

-----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Chinese Food Bathub.jpg (21.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 12-18-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Definitely on the bus!

Home made fudge and chocolate chip cookies, sometimes with plain vanilla ice cream, caramel syrup and whipped cream on top of the whole pile. I know it sounds gross, but when my sweet tooth kicks in... watch out. Been splurging lately; A LOT; but ti's the season, right!

Hope everyone is having a good and sober Thursday.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
You suck! Not really, I'm just jealous.

SO. The thing is - I was in size 20 eight years ago.

I wasn't drinking. I had quit drinking in my mid thirties. When I stopped drinking, food became the way I dealt with disappointment, sadness, anger, boredom, frustration, happiness, loneliness, celebration, etc. Sound familiar?

That got me up to 230 pounds. I had to do some serious work to get back into my healthy weight range. When I started to lose that weight in 2007, I hadn't drank for 18 years. I got my food under control and lost the weight by early 2008, but what to do with all those emotions?? Oh, how about a little glass of beer? Oooooohhhhhhhh that worked. It kept my "where's the carbs?" brain happy. It gave me something to do instead of pie. It gave me a reason and a way to spend time with friends that didn't revolve around food all the time. It didn't make me gain weight.

I started food addiction at age five. I stole candy from wherever - the store, my neighbors. I hid it in my room and ate it in secret. I was a latchkey kid, so all through my childhood I was able to steal money from my parents and buy candy and eat as much as I wanted and no one knew. In secret. In isolation. Sound familiar? Lonely, only child, no parents around, no family: candy was the solution. I was super active, grew up in Florida, so the weight wasn't an issue for me until I was in my thirties. Late thirties I was getting divorced. Alcohol was a problem by then, so I quit. But. Sugar. Hits the same receptors. Did not want to drink, but needed that brain hit.

I'd say if anyone is more than 20 pounds overweight or underweight, they have food issues. Most people just don't see it as a problem until they are diagnosed with diabetes or pancreatic problems or arthritis or high blood pressure/heart disease. It's as perilous as alcohol in many ways.

I use alcohol or food as a way to medicate my life at my peril. It tries to kill me. Shoving anything into my body to regulate my emotions is a recipe for disaster. Once past the first couple months of sobriety, excessive food is a significant psychological issue. If I'm eating more than I need on a regular basis, it's psychological or pathological.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Ya**!

I'm still gonna stick with steak, bacon, and cookies.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Old 12-18-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Mom's mac'n'cheese

My chicken gumbo

Brownies.

Bacon

Ice cream (you knew I had to say it)

Old 12-18-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks Bimini. That's hard. It's tough to lose that sugar. And hits home because I am considered high risk for developing diabetes. My blood sugar is at the very high end of the normal range and I'm being monitored. I had gestational diabetes with my son.

Thanks for the Hobbit reviews. I thought the last one was kind of hokey too. No way would I bring the kids. I will be taking them to Night at the Museum though over break so Charlee, if you can give some critiques? I probably won't get to the Hobbit this weekend anyway now. Mr. Ruby picked up an overtime shift tonight, his day off.

And SoberWolf, if you can get thought The Silmarillion, well, you are a patient person. I've tried three times to read it and have never managed. I have read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy. Good luck.

Since my husband is now sleeping for his shift tonight and my internet is so slow lately I can't effectively open or navigate amazon, I brought the kids to my parents. My dad just had some guy from the phone company here this afternoon installing much faster internet so we will see if it's lightning fast.

Talk to you all later. I had lunch with my friend from AA today and it was really nice to be able to talk to someone who understands.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Going with a shrimp & vegetable stir fry tonight for dinner. What can I use instead of white wine for a flavorful liquid?