Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part One

Old 03-02-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
AlmA

Am not sleeping well...
I thought I could help orthers and help myself...
But am not strong!
And I am posting all my thoughts in another forum.

You all sound so Positive....!!!!
I do not want to tuin your thread!

Please keep fighting!!!
There a better life out there we just do not know it!!!

We can have a life without obsesions free!
Hope you get through the day!
Smiling that you did it you made it

((Big Hug))
Aiko
Old 03-02-2016, 10:35 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Evening classmates, new and newish...

I'll second Incontrol's (Hi Incontrol) comments re dark chocolate. Lindt 85% is the go. This time tho I'm keeping as a weekend treat.....tho have really wanted some badly a couple of evenings this week. Previous sober runs I've munched through a lot of dark chocolate.....

Day 10....still sleeping badly. Get so tired during the day, start thinking about pouring cold beers ...nope. Seem to wake every couple of hours....strange dreams. Might be sitting up too late with the light from the computer screen...
Old 03-02-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Detox tomorrow

Voluntary detox tomorrow... A little bit nervous as I have an anxiety disorder anyways, but honestly more excited. My entrance is 2pm tomorrow. I hope to talk with you all soon. Let's March over this disease and kick some butt this year!

And as I need to remind myself, I also need to remind each of you that....
Old 03-02-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not possible for you to ruin this thread Aiko

If you're struggling maybe it's not strength you need but acceptance?

I needed to accept my life had to change before I started to get anywhere in recovery?

D
Old 03-02-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome SB - best wishes on the detox
D
Old 03-02-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Just joined this site this morning and I am SO happy to have found it.

I woke up early so regretful at first; then I remembered I can't change my past but I can change my future.

This is my Day One! 24 hours is the goal.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:25 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Hi Mrskw- I know that feeling... the only thing getting me past the 3am anxiety and regret was the thought that the future is unwritten and I can make a change.

This afternoon I made the decision about 16 times to drink the remainder of half a bottle of vodka tonight. I made the decision NOT to, about 17 times. So that has officially won out and I am very happy and proud to say I made it thru day 4! Gosh this is hard though... that little voice in my head is telling me that Ill certainly slip up eventually...
Old 03-03-2016, 12:32 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hi Humbug68! The regret and anxiety can be terrible and for me I tend to feel trapped in it; but we are not at all and you're right we can make a change!

Many Congratulations on Day 4! You should be so very proud of yourself indeed. Yes I agree; temptation is all around and I feel like I can see it all the time and everywhere. But we can do this!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:40 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

So great to catch up with all of you, keep staying strong. I'm on day 4/5 (I didn't drink on the 28th, except the remaining two sips of wine in the glass in the morning, but I am counting from my first, totally clean day, the 29th.

I had such a busy day yesterday. My youngest son lost his first tooth, in the car, on the way home from swim lessons. I swam laps while my two boys had their lesson and was feeling great. As soon as he told me his tooth came out I got so excited for him and my first thought was to drink to celebrate Crazy. But I recognised it as crazy and we came home.
Up early this morning to get them to school and now doing some work on the computer. I have someone here today to help me get my yard/garden in order for the spring. Once I finish up this work I'll get out there and help him. There is a lot to do. It is a really nice activity that distracts me. I have noticed that Thursdays are a common day for me to pick up drinking again. I am guessing it is due to my schedule and having few commitments to other people on Thursdays whereas the other days of the week I need to give lessons at certain hours or get my kids somewhere. So the garden work will be good.

Layali, if you want to practise your Italian I can recommend a site where you sign up for a language exchange. You find a pen pal who wants to learn English and you exchange emails or chat via Skype for practise. I have a lot of my English students sign up there and they seem to really enjoy it.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:01 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too mrskw

D
Old 03-03-2016, 02:11 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Thank you so much.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Good morning, I am checking in on day 3. I'm just trudging forward because I know it will get better as long as I don't drink.

I have a pretty big medical test today (non alcohol related) so I'm nervous. I just CANNOT drink when it's over no matter what!!!

When I get stressed or anxious I drink. Today I will have a plan! I will leave the doctors office & go get my favorite food & go home to watch my favorite show.

Have a good day.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kiki, that's a great plan, and good luck with the medical test.

Humbug, I'm glad you got through that.

Welcome, MrsKw, I'm glad you joined. I love Maya Angelou's quote and it helped me get through many dark days: "I did then what I knew to do, now that I know better, I do better."
Old 03-03-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
nmd

Checking in, we picked up a few more match members yesterday, welcome!

Yesterday was busy all day with the kids, then work and then driving the kids around after work. I ate dinner late and crashed at 10pm (only to wake up early then fall back asleep and over sleep). Watching my caffeine levels. Yesterday I was seriously on edge, probability related to being on day 2, but caffeine doesn't help.

Trying to take things one day at a time and not think about people drinking at future events. My own wedding is coming up in august. Its good to have (sobriety) a plan, but I'm also trying not to obsess over it. I won't drink.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Just wanted to pop in an say hello to everyone starting out in March! If you look at my date you will see I have been on SR for a bit as well. New Years Eve was the last time I had any alcohol, so I have 63 days today, and it really does get easier.

I have had stretched of sobriety in the past and what did me in was thinking "just one," and becoming complacent with my plan. Read, post, and come up with a plan that works for you. Dee posted two great links earlier in this thread.

Whether you are here for the first time or the hundredth time welcome! Sending you lots of love along your journey!!

❤️Delilah
Old 03-03-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna! I'm so glad to be a part of the thread. Thank you so much for the beautiful quote, I will write it down in my journal.

One of my favourites; "The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide you are not going to stay where you are."
Old 03-03-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

The bombardment of emotions!!! That's what I'm feeling. The things I drank not to feel. It's not fun, but it's real. I can no longer hurt others while I am in an oblivious, blackout state. Maybe I need to feel. AA has been very helpful because through the steps you work towards a break from the past and an optimistic future. Anyone else going to meetings? I am on step 4 and started in mid Jan.

Hang in there Marchers!!! When I feel like a drink I am making myself remember the bad, not the good times. I was a wino. I have plenty of bad memories to draw from

Lilly
Old 03-03-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Administrator

MrsKw, that's a great quote. I surely needed to know I could not and would not stay where I was.

Lostlilly, I don't use AA, but I sure relate to beginning to deal with the feelings in the early days. It's uncomfortable and even painful at times, but it's real and it helps us to move forward.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Have a good quit day March (Hi Canguy!!).

Being a slave blows. Freedom rules.

Tip of the day: Mindfulness exercises.

Another Google search for ya. But a very worthwhile one, I assure you.

The basic idea about practicing mindfulness is focusing on ONE thing and one thing that is happening now. Its about ignoring everything else for a couple minutes and really zooming in on something in particular.

At this stage, you zoom in on either cravings or withdrawals. Either one.

The thought process is based on the psychological oddity where the more you try NOT to think of a pink elephant, the more your brain thinks about it. Whereas the more detailed you try to focus on something, the easier you're distracted.

Practicing mindfulness for even 1 minute also helps make HUGE cravings suddenly feel minuscule, or unbearable withdrawal symptoms a walk in the park. Basically, the elephant becomes bigger, louder, smellier, and more bright pink the more you try to ignore it. Especially if the pink elephant is a craving.

So here's my suggestion...
Take a couple minutes and goggle mindfulness for addiction.

Knowledge is power. Learn how you can miss this tool quickly and effortlessly for cravings as well as for withdrawal symptoms.

Search YouTube for mindfulness exercise for addiction as well. You will find self guided videos to help you do them.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

I think my body is pissed and sending a message. Today is a tentative day 2, but I slept terribly last night. Kept waking up because I was sweaty. Ugh. So tired.