Old 03-01-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Kirky

D
Old 03-01-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Good for you. Some people, myself included, needed to experience hell before waking up. Needed a real slap in the face. I quit so I'll NEVER experience what I went through again. Screw that. Nooo thank you! Sometimes it's ODAAT, and others it's One Minute At A Time. That's all it takes. You've been there and done that. You know it works. Just push through. Embrace the suck. Let those feelings be what drives your quit. You wouldn't be feeling ANY of those feelings if you were sober. Today sucks. Tomorrow will suck. BUT....tomorrow will suck MORE if you drink today. You'll need a different plan this time so you can continue with sobriety after months and years. I would suggest working on lying and avoidance. Those are horrible traits put in place by your addiction. Once I addressed those issues, my world changed. It's an on going process through therapy. Congrats again on taking control of your life. Quit on!
Thank you for this in control!!!
Old 03-01-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Hiya Kiki So sorry to hear what happened. But glad to see you here......you really led the way and supported everybody so well in November. I'll be watching out for you in March, okay? However bad it is at the moment....it will get better for ya. All the best.
Thx so much canguy. It's so great to hear from you & see you hear in March! :-)
Old 03-01-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Hi guys. Im at work but just checking in. Great to see our group growing so quickly xxx
Old 03-01-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hello March 16rs,

I am also for March 13 and would like to welcome you all!

The class threads have been one of the most important tools in my recovery, aside from the support we gave each other during those crucial first few days, weeks, months we started getting to know each other well enough that we truly do care about all aspects of each others lives.

My class has been with me through many good and bad times, not all directly related to recovery, but to life in general. They have celebrated my milestones and other events in my life, my new puppy ( she's almost 3 now), watching my brother be inducted into the Illinois Bowling Hall of Fame, moving and settling into a new town and growing as a now sober person. They have also been here for me during the bad times, my DUI ( which brought me here), the struggles I had with my prior job, the sad news that my above mentioned brother is now going through brain surgery treatments, and most sadly the deaths of one of our classmates, another member that I introduced here after she helped me when I first got sober , and my estranged wife who recently passed.

This site and your class can be a lifeline, they are for me. So, encourage each other, comfort each other and don't be afraid to speak up when you need to.

You're always welcome to drop by the Class of March 2013, we'll leave a light on for ya!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Hi Cococo. I'm starting over today too. I was in the November class. One day at a time we can do this! :-)
Hi Kiki

That's right, one day at a time.

Did you have a good day?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:49 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Hi everyone, I am starting over. Today is day 1. (March 1st, 2016) I was previously in the November 2015 class & was sober for over 2 months and feeling so much better until I drank again. :-(

Since then I have been going out to bars & drinking heavily every few nights. I drank yesterday from 1:30 in the afternoon until 10:00 at night on an empty stomach.

I lied to my husband & kids about where I was all day (they aren't stupid...they knew I was drinking). I smoked a pack of cigarettes (I only smoke when I drink) and now my lungs hurt.

I snuck out of the bar so I didn't have to pay my tab. I drove home drunk & barely remember it. I'm so lucky I didn't get pulled over or kill someone!!! I'm so ashamed!

When I got home I went up to lay down in my bed & vomited all over the place. Our bedroom smelled so bad until I cleaned it this morning.

I feel so hungover, exhausted, full of shame, guilt, anxiety, depression, hopelessness, fear & self-hatred. I've also gained so much & can't even look in the mirror anymore. I've also put us in debt!

I desperately want to get off this merry go round to hell! I am sick & tired of being sick and tired! I am killing myself & hurting everyone around me. I am recommitting today & I can use all the positive support I can get.

I want to stay sober. I am willing to go to any length. I'm ready for action which includes checking in here daily, going back to AA for face to face support, working the 12 steps with a sponsor, daily exercise & not drinking 24 hours at a time.

As I am typing this I am in an extremely dark place. One sober day at a time I pray my life gets better.

Thx for reading. :-)
Thanks you for this, powerful words... sounds like my situation. Big *hug* and I'm so happy that you have made this resolve... you can do it!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Hi cococo. Let's not meet in the April class too, deal?

Slowly winding down day 2. Something feels different this time.

Keep on keepin' on everyone. Play the tape through to the end.

Hi Apple

Ok deal !!!

I hope the small people are being good :-)

What feels different this time? Have you finally had enough?

Im not far from winding up day 1. Been sober all day. But in saying that Ive been in and out of bed most of the day. Hungover and severely stressed & depressed.

Im going to discuss my depression with my family doctor. I want him to prescribe some antidepressants. Im sure that's half the reason why I drink in the first place.

I was hoping yesterday would be day 1, but I was unable to handle a massive stress attack (so I drank), so today is day 1. I ended up waking up with a hangover this morning AND the stress and depression are still here, so I feel doubly bad.

It just goes to show that alcohol solves nothing and any problems need to addressed with a clear head, considered thought, calmness and planning, all of which is difficult to do with a hangover or with being drunk.

Glad to hear day 2 went well for you :-)
Old 03-01-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Day one 'restart' coming to an end, sober. Hang in there, Ccc! My shrink-doc tried me on a few different anti-depressants, and I'm now off them. They were causing me panic attacks. This was before my drinking got as bad as it has been before I joined this site, so I'm pretty sure it was the meds.

I too was a bit down today, but tomorrow is a new day. Going to my general doc, where I have to admit this problem so that she doesn't put me on unnecessary meds for health issues that are likely alcohol related [I need to be brave!], then to an AA meeting.

I took a melatonin tonight for the first time ever, and now I'm nodding off, yay! Withdrawal symptoms are mostly gone, but I'm still not sleeping great. Goodnight, Marchers!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hey guys. My day was good - except I've been really cranky and a little sensitive. I woke up this morning completely irritated because I worked all day yesterday, didn't drink, was very productive as far as going to the gym, going to a meeting, working a double. But I wake up this morning and I'm just so upset because my house isn't clean.

My house isn't clean because I didn't clean it, duh. It doesn't magically happen. I am irrationally upset in general and upset at myself for not cleaning.

I think I'm hard on myself because I want to all of a sudden be able to handle everything now that I'm sober.

One day at a time...
Old 03-01-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
AlmA

Good mornig... sun is up!!!!
Am dead tired and a bit sedated am not going to lie!

Had no time to read your post sorry...
Hope you are doing all you can to keep busy!!!

I got to work again all day and am so tired!!!

Remenber...
When you see a pouddle you can see a rainbow in it!
Is the way you look at it!
Change the way you look at things!
It takes training,
Change your thoughts
Changes your feelings!!!

Train yourself!!!
And if you have a bad day hang on!!!
As tomorrow will be different!

Big Hug
Old 03-01-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post

. I am a real foodie but I didn't go to restaurants for about six months until I was used to not drinking.

I love this tip. I have found it is difficult for me to go out to restaurants also. I also avoid certain foods at home.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:06 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone, nice to see some old faces here. I am sorry for the reason we are all here... but you know what I mean!
Kiki, I am really sorry you are feeling so down. I know that feeling well, I really do. You know the only way out of it- to keep moving forward and whatever happens, do not drink.
GardenGal, I am on Campral, have been on and off it over the course of about a year. I only ever stopped because it was a PITA to get it having to go to the addiction centre where I didn't feel understood. I am now under the care of a psychiatrist and he prescribed it to me along with two other medications- an anti-depressant and a mood stabiliser. It is absolutely not a miracle drug, if it were none of us would be here! It does help though. It sort of takes the edge off of cravings and they are less frequent. They still come and this is where you have to have other, solid tools to deal with your alcoholism. I cannot see it working just all by itself, in my opinion is only beneficial in addition to other tools- AA, SR, counselling, meditation, whatever. But I like it. Only a few tiny side effects at the very beginning and now nothing. Good luck.
Groundhog day here..... gym, errands, work on the computer, cleaning house, picking up the kids, pool....

Have a great day everyone!
Old 03-02-2016, 12:16 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone, I wish to join you on this journey. I am 33, from the Netherlands. This is day 10 for me, alcohol and weed. I am looking to quit smoking cigarettes as well but the thought alone terrifies me so that might take a while. I have bought Tabex which is the natural version of Chantix, it's cheap and has little side effects.

Great to see so many nature and animal lovers here, makes me feel at home even before introducing myself. I have a shetland pony, 4 little dogs, 2 doves, 2 cats and a bunny (she's recently become a widow and we're looking for a new love for her) and they all need me to be sober. I also care for my parents 7 ponies and a friends horse, so even though I don't have a job and little prospects, and being evicted in a few months, I have enough beauty around me to keep my mind occupied.

I hope to get to know you all well. You seem like great people! Drinking-me just wasn't very social, even though she thought she was in her early drinking days so I hope to learn a lot.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:43 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

3rd day here

This is the day where I always end up telling myself I am ok and that drinking alcohol hasnt really caused too much harm.

I also had a long day at work and would love a few beverages. My husband is working tonight and ordinarily I would take this opportunity to drink sans judgement. Thankfully my mum is visiting tho and I have told her I'm not drinking, so I wont.

Hopefully that voice that tells me I can drink like a normal person goes away soon.... It's the worst!!
Old 03-02-2016, 01:34 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hi Evienne and humbug, welcome!
I love what you said humbug about taking the opportunity to drink sans judgement without your husband around. I got to the point where I would cancel plans with my boyfriend just so I could sit at home alone and drink without having to feel judged or have my consumption limited or monitored in any way. Sad life...
Day 3 is a tough one for a lot of people, myself included. Must be something physiological. Try to eat a lot of fresh fruit or drink some juice, those natural sugars really do help boost the energy levels and fight cravings.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:37 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Early days are always hard....still feeling tired and sick, not far enough into it to feel like you're making any progress....and relief for a few hours would be so easy to slip into. This is what has brought me unstuck many times.

I've usually found that it gets better from about day 4, sweating stops....and then its into the weekend, my difficult time. Get through the first weekend and it really has been better still. Closing out day 9 now and sleep is still broken but it will get better....find I get really tired during the day. But not hungover, so not irritable, listless.

One thing I've noticed a couple of times now. Once sober for a while, coffee gives a real buzz that I never noticed when drinking. I like strong coffee....a triple shot flat white and I flew through the morning.

Got put on campral once....didn't work for me. Just felt nauseous all the time.

Anyway.

All the best to you all.....talk tomorrow, another day into it.

G'nite
Old 03-02-2016, 03:36 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
nmd

Looks like we got an inch of snow overnight, hopefully the last for this year. Evienne, I have a number of animals too: a dog, two cats, two rabbits and 6 pet chickens. I've been moving the hens coop in the garage during most of the winter, but they really prefer being outside. They're hardy enough, but the wind can get really bad at times. A pony would be cool, maybe in retirement.

Day 3 and the weekends can be tricky. I'm going on day 2 today. I can't count the number of times I've come on here gotten a few days sober, then switched back to drinking. If that happens, don't be afraid to come back, we've all been there. I don't know if I ever really believe I can moderate, but I fell for it anyways.

March is special for me as it was my first class at attempting sobriety here in 2014. It's also my children's birth month and for me a very happy month signaling the end of winter. Looking forward to a sober spring.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post

March is special for me as it was my first class at attempting sobriety here in 2014. It's also my children's birth month and for me a very happy month signaling the end of winter. Looking forward to a sober spring.
And before you know it you'll have another reason to add to that list... March being the month you finally got sober
Old 03-02-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Well off to bed and feel pretty strong resolve still!! Thankfully at my age I dont really experience too many withdrawals (still in my 20's)... just that stupid voice telling me I could continue to get away with over indulging and nobody would know. Yeah right!

Good luck all