What is a 'Dry Drunk'?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

and as i told you before I am a "real alcoholic". I craving booze as soon as it touches my lips, and I can never get enough in my system. I always drink faster and more than everyone I am with, basically I have the physical allergy the Dr. Silkworth described.
yeah, and what else?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

The concept of the dry drunk is a myth that has been perpetuated by the most ardent members of the aa organization. It is a belief that is held with reverence not unlike those beliefs held by Christians, Jews, Muslims and the like. I reference these groups as they have very clear beliefs supported by the mythology presented in their books of worship. The concept of heaven and hell is very real to a Christian but has no meaning to someone not of that faith. Members of aa believe in the concept of dry drunks to support their claim that anyone who finds sobriety with out a "spiritual awakening" must be such. Non-believers should not fall prey to a belief that does not fit their ideology simply because others around them subscribe to them. Very interesting exchange of ideas here. Good read.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

"spiritual awakening"
Again, I remind some....spirit, the origin of the word is "thought". the brain's thought process.
Example, The color black is *named* black.
But, it could still be a black color, but named *white* and vise-versa.
That is a principle.

The same in principle goes to the idea, "wedding" is to drink, so we think.
"Spiritual Awakening" would be "wedding" is for me now, to not drink and to hell with what others think".

So, in essence, spirit-thought has changed from drink at wedding-obsession to do so-party party ha ha,
to new thought, an awareness that it is now OK to not drink, my spirit-thought has be redirected.
In other words, the actual color black has been renamed from white to black

Spiritual Awakening.

Nothing to do with clouds of divine thunder and horses with wings, the alcoholic when he or she reaches that rock bottom, if it's not life saving, it's propaganda.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillieB View Post
The concept of the dry drunk is a myth that has been perpetuated by the most ardent members of the aa organization. It is a belief that is held with reverence not unlike those beliefs held by Christians, Jews, Muslims and the like. I reference these groups as they have very clear beliefs supported by the mythology presented in their books of worship. The concept of heaven and hell is very real to a Christian but has no meaning to someone not of that faith. Members of aa believe in the concept of dry drunks to support their claim that anyone who finds sobriety with out a "spiritual awakening" must be such. Non-believers should not fall prey to a belief that does not fit their ideology simply because others around them subscribe to them. Very interesting exchange of ideas here. Good read.
No its not like i said the term dry drunk is used by medical professionals...

Spiritual awakening is AA terminology for the happening that occurs by working the steps (program)...most medical professionals will use the term "drastic personality change" whether it be psychologists or CBT counselors which is a far cry from what the alcoholic thinks which is once they give up drinking all will be well in their lives which is insane based on the previous events of their lives...

Both phrases are met with resistance because the last thing the alcoholic wants to do is have to take a look at themselves and their behaviour wanting to avoid all types of responsibility at all costs...even to the gates of death via insanity!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I'm sorry Pete I can't seem to follow your line of thinking. We have a common language so that we can communicate without error. I was speaking of the spiritual awakening that is described in the bb and the one which most adherence reference during conversations such as this. The dry drunk concept, as I stated before, is a myth that was and is inherent within the teachings of aa. Just like Muslim martyrs believe they will receive 72 virgins if they die in defense of allah. It's part of the theology..the mythology..aa has it's own different but all the same.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillieB View Post
Just like Muslim martyrs believe they will receive 72 virgins if they die in defense of allah.
This just says it all about your "argument"...wow?!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Granted, the "72 virgins" analogy is a stretch, but the "myth" factor remains the same.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Yeahgr8, It's called an example. You don't believe the "myth" about Muslim martyrs do you? Suffice it to say those of us who reject the religious teachings of aa don't believe in dry drunks and the theology taught within it's book. Wow is right...lol
Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Well, this one is toast...

Lillie... did you read the big book??? because if you did, one of us got it wrong... I am AA, but never have the words "dry drunk" passed my lips when speaking of another... and, for that matter, I don't often speak of others and their recovery... it is an anonymous organization and anonymity means more than just not using a person's last name in reference to AA..
Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Mark to clarify as you seemed to mis-understand. Thought I had been clear in my dialogue.
I said The concept of the dry drunk is a myth that has been perpetuated by the most ardent members of the aa organization. I heard it many times when I attended aa, I have also witness it's use here numerous times. It is a myth, similar to a unicorn. Dry drunks don't really exist unless you subscribe to aa.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Sshhhh, be very quiet. I can almost hear the sound of an unfed troll starving to death.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Hopefully step 9 follows that last comment
Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Keith, that is what one says when they have no means to dispute. It's ok we understand.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we've beaten this one to death guys, so let's move on.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

What do you call it when your belief system is basically a rejection of another belief system?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
What do you call it when your belief system is basically a rejection of another belief system?
I call it my own personal belief system.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Least, you've never been strident in your opinions of other programs, in fact I think you've always shown a lot of respect for others!!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

It's OK Lil,
I refrain actually....

But I remember 2 weeks sober, brand new in the rooms of AA, sharing about how deluded I was, buying into all the hype and reasons to drink....and remember saying words to the effect of dollar driven propaganda, but hey I was a dry drunk then. And, this cunning,baffling,powerful dis-ease can still get me!
So I apoligise to
Old 03-30-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Administrator

Okay, so we obviously can't play nice here, so we're done.