What is a 'Dry Drunk'?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies, I learned quite a bit from this. I recognize some behavior in myself that could be labeled as dry drunk. Usually those times are when I've run into a 'trigger' situation.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The term refers to people who are hypersensitive, argumentative, unapproachable, self-absorbed, unteachable, upset often, operating on fear, jumpy, and often on the ragged edge constantly keeping a weather eye out for anyone who might victimize them.

If the term 'Dry Drunk' sends them off into fits it's usually a sign they are one. Another clue is there's usually a vacant seat on either side of them. If there are two vacant seats on each side, watch out.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

John, I alway err on the side of caution when I choose to label someone. I also don't use the phrase "true sobriety". Once again it is simply a judgement made by others. As far as a "spiritual awakening" is concerned that has zero to do with my sobriety and in my opinion has no relevance. I appreciate your post.

Justdave, don't worry bout being crabby..it happens early into a quit.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just for the fun of it, Your avatar suggests an individual who is either angry or, put another way, a dry drunk at the computer... LOL, please don't take offense, but is that the way you feel... angry?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Is that what my avatar suggests to you Mark? Interesting opinion. It takes a lot to offend me, no worries there. I do get choleric when people make up fictitious ailments especially ones that are only meant to disparage.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh no, I meant Dave's.... Thanx for helping me clarify that... But I guess your's could provoke anger... which would be an appropriate response.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Just for the fun of it, Your avatar suggests an individual who is either angry or, put another way, a dry drunk at the computer... LOL, please don't take offense, but is that the way you feel... angry?
LOL, you're right! That's not a good representation of me. I've changed it to something more appropriate.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My bad Mark. Thanks for the clarification. Mine should incite a drastic shift in the way one sees reality outside the little bubbles in which we reside.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It is jarring, as it should be!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Indeed. It certainly puts the concept of dry drunks into perspective.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

People, let's keep this thread on track helping Dave to understand his original post about what is a dry drunk.

Please keep personal comments to one another to PM, not on the boards.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, a 'dry drunk' is giving up drinking without changing my attitude. Still wanting to drink but not giving in. Now that I'm sober, not just 'dry', I no longer want to drink.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

So, please allow for me to pose this question: What is an alcoholic classified as when he/she quits drinking without changing his/her attitude or lifestyle or without the help of AA or other recovery programs, but they're now discovering peace, solitude, and happiness in the fact that not drinking has become a true blessing within their own personal well being?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Recovered?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Can i just add to the thread that i have seen several medical professionals including doctor, CBT counselor and psychiatrist who have all used this term when i was receiving treatment...it's a medical term for the description that i posted below...

I understand people don't like labels but from a medical standpoint there has to be some kind of label to avoid saying the paragraph that explains the label every time it is referenced?!

Of course it can be used as a put down as much as someone who is suffering from mental illness can be put down by calling them mentally ill in a condescending way...its how the labels are used not the labels themselves!
Then I guess someone using the term in the halls of AA would be ridiculous unless they have MD, MS, LDAC or PhD at the end of their name. If it is a medical term used by professionals to diagnose then it would be a like a laymen looking at someone and saying.... mmmmm it looks like they have bipolar disorder.

And if it is a person who is exhibiting the same behaviors as when they were drinking one would have had to observe the "dry drunk" when he was drinking to make the correlation. We don't all act the same way drunk.

I have never heard the term used to simply describe in a medical manner what is wrong with someone. My experience is that it is used as a put down by people who are too elevated to simply admit they that don't like someone. YMMV.........

OTOH If someone wants to call themselves a dry drunk, that is their business.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I don't like the term dry drunk, it was probably invented by someone angry with the behaviour of someone in recovery.

No one can be perfect, we have good and bad days, as long as we do our best that is all that matters.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

So, please allow for me to pose this question: What is an alcoholic classified as when he/she quits drinking without changing his/her attitude or lifestyle or without the help of AA or other recovery programs, but they're now discovering peace, solitude, and happiness in the fact that not drinking has become a true blessing within their own personal well being?
I think when it come to alcoholism, there is no quitting, it's surrender, in other words, the game is up, it's over, no going back.
But to truly identify which "class" one is at, read the BB (Page 20-"Moderate drinker" to page 21 after you have read the Doctor;s Opinion) because it would be erounos for any alcoholic to "classify" what another alcoholic is, we are not doctors.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

No, I just quit picking the bottle up. I did other things to keep me occupied and to keep my mind occupied and I bettered myself on different levels as far as mentally and physically, but basically I just quit drinking once I convinced my mind I could do it.

It really isn't a one size fits all. I am happy "surrender" worked well for you Pete.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm with supercrew on this. I too quit pouring alcohol down my throat. No surrender. I also found other more productive things to do with my life.
The bb is not an authority on alcoholism, it is a text book if you will for the program of aa.
Not sure if one would want to reference it for it's medical context ie: identifying a "class"
Old 03-20-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Dry drunk I'd a person showing all symptoms of low. Blood sugar levels when brain can not get the Sugar it needs to function . Brain is the only organ in human body which needs glucose as fuel to function .

There has been so much importance given to mental part than Physilogical aspects of withdrawn symptoms . The Dry drunk condition can be treated by ensuring uniform levels of blood sugar . Pl consult your doctor and nutrition expert And they will guide you .

I recommend two books . Seven weeks to sobriety by Joan sanders and Get Sober , Stay Sober by Cynthia Perkins