Notices

I tried

Old 10-15-2005, 05:01 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Originally Posted by spirit30
Tyler, maybe you need to forgive yourself for the things you did to your spouse (and to yourself). Guilt will get you nowhere in this life.

Everything happens for a reason Tyler. The question is...are you learning from your past mistakes? Once you drop the guilt, you can move toward self-love and self-acceptance...then anything is possible.
I'm a Counsellor too (not an addictions counsellor of course. lol)
Hey Tyler
Just wanted to say that Spirit is so right here...
Please allow people to help you, by reaching out to them. Spirit says she's a
counselor, let her help you as well... She has said some really smart things..

Love,
Becky
Old 10-15-2005, 08:53 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by angelgirl
Hey,

It is good to log on here and see a posting from you Makes my day, really!!
You did not give me too much info, it is really good to see you posting the things that you really need to post, you do need to talk about that stuff and get it out it out of your head a bit.. It's good to get feedback too, sometimes you might not paticularly ike the feedback, but it's good non the less. Later on, you may look back, and see that
what people had to say was really important, and was right..
I understand the pain of what all happened to your marriage. My son is going through a break-up, and it's not really the same, because he doesn't have the time invested and a child, and he wasn't married, so it is different, but he is suffering,, he calls me everyday, and I go talk with him, he is normally a very closed person who does not express much, he also is a huge pot abuser, he just can't see yet that the pot does cause problems, so you are a big step ahead of him.
You can't spend your life dwelling on what could have been, no matter if you feel you want to, or need to, it only is serving to hurt you much more, and also I believe you can destroy your spirit,, Your spirit to live,, and to live well. You can get through this Tylerm, you can. I am not in any way trying to be uncaring, or not compassionate, I do feel bad that you love her so much, and the relationship is over. But if you don't move on Tyler, you will only hurt yourself, and your son. You need to do whatever it takes to get help.
I am not trying to push this on you at all, but I am only looking for support for you, and at this point anything that might help, and I am wondering if you could ever get yourself to ever try church? Even once? Maybe it is what you need, if you are tuly hurting and want to feel better, please be willing to try anything that could maybe help. It's worth the chance. I know I really like my Celebrate Recovery group, so supportive, so comforting. I do find alot of comfort there.
That is all I will say about that, I don't want to push you away from talking to me..
I just really want you to get some help Tyler, you are such a smart, caring compassionate person, and I know, because you showed that to me, when I was hurting, and ya know I don't even remember what it is that was bothering me so much, but i remember goign to one of your meetings, and the wonderful support you gave me. I knwo that I took over the meeting with my problem, and I had never been to one of your meetings and you graciously helped me and diddn't com[plain a bit about it, you only supported me.. You are a very kind man..
You do deserve to be happy, and if I knew you personally I might know this for sure, but I know with my son, I dont believe that he truly believe he deserves to be really happy, maybe that is the same with you, do you feel you truly deserve to move on and be happy? Because you do.. So does my son.. It hurts me to see that..
Most importantly Tyler, reach out for help, don't close up, don't leave SR, and only pop in once in a while, you are hurting you should be here getting support..
Don't close up, go inside your own head, that's a dangerous place for any of us, keep talking, keep getting it out, the more you talk about it, the more support you get, the better you may begin to feel..
No one deserves to be so unhappy. Do you believe your ex wants you to live so unhappy? Or do you believe she would like to see the father of her son, the man she was married to move on, and be happy and beable to be a strong father with a strong relationship with your son>? Ya know if she seen that, sshe may feel very much differently about the whole situation. I can tell you for sure something I know as a woman, we love to see the dads of our kids take care of them, emotionally, as well as taking them places spending time with them..It gives me a great feeling and I love my husband so much more when I see him being a good father, caring about his kids.

I only want to help you Tyler. Please let everyone here help you buddy..
You deserve it, just keep telling yourself that.. Because it's so true..
Love ya,
Becky
Thanks Becky. No my ex would want nothing more than for me to live a happy and fufiled life, she still cares for and loves me, that I don't doubt. As far as my using covering other emotions that is very true. It really started with heavy drinking my freshman year in college. I didn't discover pot until my sophmore year, the first time I smoked it I knew I had found what I "needed". You see I was carrying a big guilt load then too. My GF in HS my senior year got pregnant. She was 15, I was 17. She had aspirations to be a Lutheren pastor, I don't know if she ever pursued that or not. When she told me I basically flipped out, I saw my whole life passing before me and basically ran from the whole situation. She ended up getting an abortion and I never really spoke to her again after she told me she was pregnant. I totally turned my back on her when she needed me the most. I was her first and she was mine. She got pregnant the first time we did it, the condom broke. While it is true that I was very young and not really equiped to handle the situation, I still handled it very poorly. She tried to reach out to me through mutual friends several times and I totally rebuffed her. I guess I figured if I just ignored the situation it would just go away, and I guess in some respects it did. I have mostly gotten over that issue I guess, though I do still carry some guilt over it and often wonder what happened to her, especially now that I have moved back to the area I went to HS. I've looked her up on classmates.com and her email address is listed. I've thought about contacting her, but I just dont' know if it's a good idea or not. It's been almost 20 years now, I feel like I'd probably just be opening up old wounds for her.

As far as the church thing goes, I'm not in any way anti-church, just like I'm not anti-12 step. I've been to a very wide variety of church services, from various Protastant service to Cathloic, to Orthadox Jewish, even a Hari Krishna commune once. I actually enjoy the fellowship of church, if it just weren't for the whole God thing!! From everything I've ever read it sounds like Jesus was a totally rightous dude, though I think he'd be absoultly horrified at how people have perveted his teachings. As far as the whole literal son of God thing, well I just don't know. So that is the issue I have with church, kinda the same as 12-step meetings, I enjoy the fellowship, but just don't really believe in the teachings, so I end up feeling like a bit of a hipocrite being there. Perhaps I should't feel this way but it seems a bit hard to fit into either organization without believing in God. (I don't want to get into the whole HP discussion here either, it has been debated ad nauseum and is probably something people will never agree on!!) I guess one of the big issues I have with religion in general is the fact that more human blood has been spilled in it's name than anything else. I don't really know if I believe in God or not, but if I did, my God would not approve of hurting another human being in His name. To often religion is used to exclude rather than include and I have issues with that too. Well, didn't really mean to go off on a rant here, but I guess I did!! It is a subject that I am both passionate and confused about at the same time. I am often envious of those who are so confidant in their faith, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. Anyway, glad I was able to help you in some way. I'm not hosting the meeting anymore. I guess a combination of lack of interest in it from the community and me just not feeling in a position to help other's did it in. Maybe I'll try to pick it up again at some point in the future. Thanks for caring. Take care.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:37 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Tyler

Well we had some similarities in school, I got pregnant in my sophmore year and had a baby in the beginning of my junior year, I was just a kid myself at 16. But this may sound funny, at the time, it is actually what kept me alive, I'm more than sure I would nnot be alive, had I not had my son, and felt I finally had a reason to live. I was extremely wild, headed twords death. By this point in my life, my pot head partying parents had turned to religion, and they were deep into the chritian/baptist/assembly of god type church, and their minister had come to them and told them he knew of a family in Texas that was very well off, it was a minister and his wife, and they could not have kids of their own, and he told my mom that the family would love to adopt my child when I had him. So my mom came and told me,, gave me the choice to give my baby up when I had him. I must have thought about it on and off for about a week, not to long for such a big decision, but it wasnt what I wanted to do..
Now, I look back through his life, and see how hard the years were, and there were some really great years when he was a little baby until about 2, but once I moved from my parents home, ya know we had a pretty tough life, my son had a tough life. I look back now sometimes and wonder what his life might have been, had I chosen to have given him up?? I'm sure it would have been much easier, and I'm sure he would not have had a drug addict for a mom, ( you can't be sure, but i doubt it) and he may not even be a pot head now.. He is a big pot smoker, everyday, ALOT... It makes me so sad. I blame myself for everything that has gone wrong in his life. So you see, even had you stayed with your girlfriend in highschool, and had she kept the baby, who knows what would have happened??
I also am a HUGE believer in that everything that happens, happens for a reason,, Don't you believe that as well?? So if you do believe like I believe then you must know that what happened with your girlfriend was just what happened, and it was just meant to be for some reason that we will never really know. Maybe the key lies with your old girlfriend, maybe you have lived with this guilt all these years, and in reality it was all just a part of your exgirlfriends life, what helped shape her life, maybe it made her a stronger person, maybe it pushed her deeper into her faith and maybe god used that TO push her deeper into her faith.. Did you ever hear the statement things in life that don't kill us, only make us stronger?? Or something like that,, It could very well fit that situation, she maybe very, very happy and not really regret what all happened because it made her who she is today?? You will not know, unless you choose to call her, and I don't know if tha is a good idea or not? What has your therapist said?? Or haven't you ever talked about it to a therapist? If not, It's probably a good idea.
Do you only see a regular doctor? If that's the case, maybe it's time to try to check deeper into more addiction and therapy?? I had to do that. Tyler, I have struggled so much and really believed I would never find a way outof that drug addicted life, I had to reach out to every single bit of help I could get, have you ever read in any of my posts the amount of help I am getting? Here goes,,
I see a drug and alcohol counselor, a Therapist, a Psych. doctor, I have attended Intensive outpatient therapy about 2 months ago I finished the course, I attend Celebrate Recovery, I am in a weekly Dual diagnosis group (which I love, because we talk alot about what's going on in our lives, I really like that group) .. I have done and/or am doing this all just since I got clean out of a hospital detox in April. My healthinsurance isn't paying most of my bills because I have abused the system so much and went through soo many detoxes and treatments, so you know what, I just owe ALOT of money.. These are all things I NEEDED o do in order to get and stay clean thsi time. The other times I got some help, but never this much... I decided this time I had enough.. I really needed the mental health help as well as the adiction help, or I would never really get and stay clean..
Maybe you should think about getting some more intensive help??
I hope again, that you never get upset about anything I say, because i never intend that, and also I hope just maybe you might get one bit of help out of what I have said..

Hope your day/night is going well.
Hang in there you do sound better!!
Love,
Becky
Old 10-16-2005, 04:04 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Most of us go through some kind of trauma in our teen years...I know I did...and I ran away from it too. I think that's a pretty standard response for a teenager. It's not like you intended for her to get pregnant. Sometimes condoms break. If you still have lingering guilt about it maybe it wouldn't hurt to send her an email letting her know how you feel about it. Maybe it would bring her some peace too. It's up to you of course.

I feel exactly the same as you about religion. I could have written that part of your post. I've been struggling with my own spirituality for as long as I can remember(that's why I called myself spirit30). There's is no doubt in my mind that people who are connected with a hp have an easier time in life because they have FAITH.

Here's a site I do alot of reading on...it's really great: http://www.psychologyhelp.com/book.htm

take care
Old 10-16-2005, 09:28 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

Good to hear you're okay Tyler.

Could everyone please use shorter paragraphs with some blank lines in LONG posts. Its very difficult to read these on screen without some line breaks. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

My posts are hard to read??
If so, I will try, but I guesss I don't totally understnd what I am doing wrong?
What do you mean..
Love, becky
Old 10-16-2005, 01:37 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Paused

Your post are fine Becky...don't worry about it.

(((Tyler)))

I think once you clean out the cobwebs from the past, your life will become more manageable. Not always easy, but doable and well worth it. Best wishes...
Old 10-16-2005, 02:52 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Becky dear, your wording is fine and you say lovely thing. Just when you do a paragraph break, hit RETURN twice if you would be so kind. That makes a blank line occasionally, which makes it easier to read onscreen (I spend all day on a computer). That's all..

Thanks oodles...
Old 10-16-2005, 03:37 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by roadie58
(I spend all day on a computer).
You mean I'm not the only one?

Are you a computer addict or is it because of work?

For me its both. I'm taking computer science courses and I'm a computer junkie
Old 10-16-2005, 10:47 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Tyler are you out there??
Old 10-16-2005, 10:53 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

had to work all day today, take an online exam and do laundry. I'm off tomorrow, I'll try to check in then.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:42 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

You still in then Tyler?!?!? Good Guy!

DO you do meetings or sponsor or anything like that?
Old 10-17-2005, 09:48 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I dont' really feel like I need any more addiction treatment, I know pretty well where I stand on that one. I can't smoke pot or get drunk, it totally messes with my head. I'm not saying there won't be points in my life where I slip up, like last week, but my days of living in a fog of green smoke with a bottle in my hand are over. The booze I can take or leave, I can get totally *hit faced one night and not have the desire to drink again for weeks. Lately when I've done this though all it has done is make me severely depressed. Go figure, alcohol=depressant=depression!! So the desire really isn't there. I would still love to get high, but I know where that will leave me. I can not just smoke a couple of bowls one night and not totally crave it the next day. That is a whole different story for me, just gotta stay away from it.

The Doc I go to is a psychitrist (sp) he specializes in addiction treatment. I used to see a theripist who also specialized in addcitions, but he moved out of the area at the end of last month. My insurance at work doesn't kick in until the end of this month, when it does I plan on trying to find someone else. I really think at this point my depression/bi-polar/personality disorder, whatever it is you want to call it, is my main problem. The drinking and drugs were my way of dealing with it, well that didn't work so well, so I've got to find a new way to deal with it. Hopefully a combination of meds and a good theripist will help.

Anyway that's where I'm at for now. Take care all.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:53 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roadie58
You still in then Tyler?!?!? Good Guy!

DO you do meetings or sponsor or anything like that?
Don't really do meetings due to some major philosophical differences I have with the program. Nothing against it, just not really my thing. I still occassionally go to a meeting now and then, not so much since I moved here as there are not very plentiful or close to me. Funny, the area I'm in now is more than twice the size of where I used to live and has about 10% of the NA meetings we had there. AA is definately not my thing, probably been to a couple dozen AA meetings and I just didn't feel like I fit. Still, I'm glad it's there for those it works for, and I mean no disrespect to either program. Take care.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:07 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Originally Posted by tyler
Don't really do meetings due to some major philosophical differences I have with the program. Nothing against it, just not really my thing. I still occassionally go to a meeting now and then, not so much since I moved here as there are not very plentiful or close to me. Funny, the area I'm in now is more than twice the size of where I used to live and has about 10% of the NA meetings we had there. AA is definately not my thing, probably been to a couple dozen AA meetings and I just didn't feel like I fit. Still, I'm glad it's there for those it works for, and I mean no disrespect to either program. Take care.
Hey Tyler,
Wow, I feel just about the same way you described here about NA/AA, except I feel the same about NA/AA,, ESPECAILLY the last sentence you have. I love the programs, because I do know it does work for people, just wasn't as much for me..
I do love Celebrate Recovery though.. I"ve found what is helping me a great deal.. Again, for me, it is working. I just hope Celebrate Recovery can expand even more. there isn't as many as needed, ( my opinion),, I just don't want anyone to get angry here.. LOL..

You sound like your doing ok Tyler, maybe even a bit better? I hope so.. Remember we are always here, don't close the door to help,, we all need it,.;;

Hang in there,
Love ya,
Becky
Old 10-17-2005, 10:27 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

OMG (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Tyler)))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))

I did not know that you were back my heart has been hurting cause you have been gone, you know you have been a very IMPORTANT part of my recovery and no matter what all is going on Tyler, we can get through it together...I really missed you and I am so damn glad that you are back....

Love Vic
Old 10-17-2005, 11:36 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

((((((Tyler)))))))

just living in today is enough challenge for me...
when i fall in to the past or the future,,,,how do they say???
one foot in the past and one in the future leaves me pi$$in' on today
ya...ya...that's it
sigh...
tell yourself Tyler
i am ok
i am alive
today is a gift
can't look a gift horse in the mouth
what will be will be
live in the moment Tyler
its all we got
i thought i was ok in the forgiving myself department...nope
things, people, situations. places, spring up that tell me i'm not as well as i think
but thats ok
as long as i keep working on myself, thats really all i can do
i've relapsed to Tyler, and i really like what was said earlier in this thread about trying to be perfect, geez, thats such hard work...trying to be perfect, exhausting really
we've been where we've been, we've done what we've done. we've known who we've known...it all makes us who we are today
so for me, i just simply have to work on accepting that what is done is done
and some days just working on not picking up and living in the moment is all i can manage
and hey...thats ok!!!!!!!
love ya Tyler
don't give up, i won't give up on you
i promise
hugs, Wendy
Old 10-21-2005, 07:25 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Relief

Well I after much thought, consideration, etc. I finally contacted my old GF from HS. I told her how sorry I was for how I had treated her and that I still thought of her even after almost 20 years. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect or even if I would get a reply. She wrote me write back. She said she appreciated my thoughts and that she was happily married with two beautiful daughters and had followed her dreams to go into the ministry. She said she too had often wondered what had happened to me as well and that it was good to hear from me. This had bothered me for sooooo many years and now I can finally put it to bed. I am so happy for her that things in her life are going well. The tears are streaming down my face as I write this, but they are happy tears. It is just such a relief. Just thought I'd share. Take care all.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:37 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Tyler)))
Old 10-21-2005, 07:49 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
On a tear

Originally Posted by tyler
Well I after much thought, consideration, etc. I finally contacted my old GF from HS. I told her how sorry I was for how I had treated her and that I still thought of her even after almost 20 years. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect or even if I would get a reply. ........ now I can finally put it to bed. I am so happy for her that things in her life are going well. The tears are streaming down my face as I write this, but they are happy tears. It is just such a relief. Just thought I'd share. Take care all.
Thanks for this, Tyler. There are some of us out here who have been on both sides of this story. Your courage amazes me.

(((Tyler)))