Notices

I gave in

Old 04-28-2018, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I gave in

On Dr's advice, I took my prescribed Valium. I couldn't take the shaking and high blood pressure anymore, although it was a bit better today. I still could not function this morning. It's been an hour, my stats are almost normal, according to my app, and I can breath again. I also got on my exercise ball, just to stretch my back, and my whole spine popped in some kind of domino effect. That's how tense I've been, I guess. Thinking I will go to get groceries today, as I haven't been able to bring myself to do since all this started.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you feel better today.

D
Old 04-28-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm-So,

IMO there's no shame in taking Dr. prescribed Valium to assist with alcohol detox. I'm relieved you're feeling better, friend. Keep us posted. We care and we're here.

TeaTree
Old 04-28-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am just wondering everyone, is it possible I could have PAWS from three months of benzo usage? I have been through PAWS before, and didn't think this short time would do anything, but I don't know how else to explain all this stuff. Shortly after I posted, even with Valium in my system, I have been having a very bad anxiety attack all day. Having trouble breathing and am scared to death. It just won't stop. Maybe I'm having a bad reaction to the medicine, I don't know.

I also don't think I will sleep tonight without an antihistamine, but I am now afraid to take one because of I'm already having breathing trouble.

Last edited by iamsolost; 04-28-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 04-28-2018, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hmmmm. That must feel TERRIBLE. Hon, we're here for you no matter what. I've never had a panic attack, but I know all about STRESS and anxiety and putting on a brave face just to keep going and trying to tamp down feelings that I needed released somehow. I thought I was going to blow up! That's how it felt. If someone had offered me a Valium at the time I surely would have taken it. I think we can work through the feelings, but it's the blood pressure that is scary ....I'm glad your readings are better.

Here's a mantra I use on myself: I tell myself, "It's going to be okay." I ASK myself, "what's the worst thing that could happen, really?" If someone is near me and I feel that sense of "dread" in my gut I tell them how I'm feeling..I told a co-worker once when she told me I looked troubled about something, "I just have a sense of dread in my gut"....and you know it felt better just to verbalize that and share it with someone else.....it lightened my load, I guess you could say....

This recovery journey is not linear and neither is PAWS...I'm feeling blah right now, like I'm stuck in 1st gear...so I came here and started writing and I feel better already....Okay...maybe I didn't answer you questions very well....but never ever give up (that's another mantra of mine)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks teatreeoil007. I am just flipping out. I am terrified to go to sleep, because of the breathing issues. I don't know if it was the meds, or what, but I have bad reactions to a lot of medications. I thought Valium would be ok because I thought it was just like the ativan I took before.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Any way you can contact your Dr. and see what he would recommend right now? I don't know how much Valium you took, but you're right that it and Ativan are both benzos, along with Xanax....I use breathing techniques all the time help me deal with emotions. Yesterday at work I came across something that REALLY annoyed me....I could feel myself getting red in face too....I recognized the emotion and identified it in myself and I told myself "Cool it, just cool off." Before you think I talk to myself all the time, I really don't...I say these kinds of things silently to myself and if I can cheer someone else on I will.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

giving in

Okay, something else I just thought of that has been a help to me during times of stress, pressure, anxiety, etc. I give it to my Higher Power. I just say, "Lord please take over, because I'm at my wit's end here." I also like sharing the load....and that is what is so wonderful about this board. You're never really going it all alone here. People genuinely care, I believe that. There are many many good folks out there who have your best interest at heart.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I did actually call him earlier, and he called back, and told me just stop taking the valium. I took a very small dose, only 2.5 mg. I also have a nebulizer with albuterol I am using right now to see if it helps. I don't know what else to do, except go to the ER. I was in there a week ago.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If the nebulizer doesn't provide good relief, the ER would be wise. Breathing difficulties should be addressed promptly, iamsolost.

Hope that you are soon feeling better.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I cannot believe this. I won't be taking valium anymore, I guess. Nebulizer has helped a little bit, along with a fan blowing right in my face. I will use the nebulizer again in a bit. I have ipratropium bromide, too. Does anyone know anything about it, or has it helped anyone else? I don't know if I've ever used it before.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry for freaking out yesterday, everyone. For some reason it always takes me a while to realize I'm having an asthma attack. Same story, every time, and full panic mode to go with it. Nebulizer × 2 helped a lot. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iamsolost View Post
Sorry for freaking out yesterday, everyone. For some reason it always takes me a while to realize I'm having an asthma attack. Same story, every time, and full panic mode to go with it. Nebulizer × 2 helped a lot. Thanks for all of your help.
I'm-so,
No need to apologize, friend. I'm glad you're breathing better. Life is much better when we can breathe right, huh?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iamsolost View Post
I am just wondering everyone, is it possible I could have PAWS from three months of benzo usage? I have been through PAWS before, and didn't think this short time would do anything, but I don't know how else to explain all this stuff. Shortly after I posted, even with Valium in my system, I have been having a very bad anxiety attack all day. Having trouble breathing and am scared to death. It just won't stop. Maybe I'm having a bad reaction to the medicine, I don't know.

I also don't think I will sleep tonight without an antihistamine, but I am now afraid to take one because of I'm already having breathing trouble.
When I finally went of my benzodiazepines I had PAWS for roughly 4 months. It's terribly difficult to sleep through and even harder to not sleep. Seeing as how sleep is the only peace that can be found at times. One day at a time...