Notices

Cold Turkey Tomorrow. Positive Advice?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cold Turkey Tomorrow. Positive Advice?

I am set in my decision that today is my last day on Subs. After a 3 1/2 week taper. I am trying to get prepared as best I can. I am excited to put this all behind me.
Any comments on things you did that helped you during your withdrawal will be much appreciated!!!

OTC meds? Physical or emotional support?

Thanks to everyone in advance. :-)
Old 04-24-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stopper - I don't have experience with a 3 1/2 week sub taper. With opiate withdrawal in general I think a positive can do attitude is the first prerequisite. Letting go of the fear of withdrawal and replacing it with acceptance is an important part of that. Believing that you will be successful is another important part of that. There were a lot of times at night when it was bad that I would remind myself that the sun is coming up tomorrow the same as it did today. No matter what happened that night I would be one day further along when it did.

Insomnia was one of the more annoying parts of it for me. I tried almost everything to fight it, but it was when I stopped worrying about it that it finally got bearable. Instead of tossing and turning in bed I would just stay up and listen to music or something else relaxing. In a weird way I started to like having the nights to myself with no obligations.

Those were probably the two biggest things for me. Good luck with it and don't give up.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you OpPhobe. I am no stranger to being dope sick and I am agreeing on the can-do-attitude part. I am trying to see it as these are my terms this time. Your advice is well received and appreciated!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

How long have you been taking Suboxone? Your withdrawal will obviously depend on a lot of factors...like what dose did you taper down too?...How long you've been on opiates in general? Usually with Suboxone, the withdrawals last longer than oxy's/heroin/vic's but are considerably less intense. If you CT from heroin/oxy's for example, you may have a 7-10 day withdrawal (with days 2-3 being the hardest)....With Sub's, your withdrawal should be about 2 weeks or so but less intense.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Suboxone for about 18months. From 2 8mg tabs to 1/2 a tab in 3 weeks.
Prior to that I have been addicted to opiates- years on painpills followed by heroin for a few years and then methadone. bounced back and forth between H/Oxys/Methadone/Vics/Subox etc for a while and have been under a dr's care to really try to quit this time.

I took a 1/4 yesterday and plan to take another 1/4 tonight or tomorrow, so the cold turkey thing didn't happen all the way yet. Been having w/d's and doing everything in my power to stay positive and do all the things I need to do to not give up.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just wanna pop in here to wish you luck. I'm glad to see you're taking it down a bit further. You're feeling the withdrawals though huh? Yuck....sorry about that. Are they really intense or on the mild side? Is there any way to stay at the quarter dose for a little while longer just to level out than take it down to 1/8? I've heard the slower the taper the better. Cause if you think about it 1/4 is 2 mgs which is still a substantial amount to jump from. I see you are working with your doctor, did he say anything about switching to the 2 mgs tabs?

I just saw my doctor Friday and he switched me to the 2 mg strips for my taper. He wants me remain at 4 for the next month than he's going to take me down to 2mgs. I'm going to remain there until I'm comfortable to go down to 1mg. Then I'll go to 1/2 mg. then 1/4 then 1/8. At that point he says he's going to have me alternate days. Then skip 2 days take 1/8 then skip 2 days take 1/8 then skip 3 days take an 1/8 then if I'm doing ok jump off. He seems to feel his patients have had pretty good results with that and thinks I won't have too much discomfort. Idk it's scary to me though! Did your doctor say anything about taking it down further and start skipping days at the very end? Do you think my doctor's plan is too slow? Part of me wants to just get it over with and part of me wants to take it as slow as possible. Idk, I guess I'll just have to see how I feel, ya know?

Are you doing ok? I hope you aren't feeling too many effects!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Substopper,
Your addiction sounds a lot like mine...not quite the number of years but all the same drugs. I've been using opiates for about 6 1/2 years or so.

So you're down to about 4mg of Sub's a day for the last 3 weeks? We are not allowed to give medical advice on here but I would ask your doctor about continuing your taper until you are at an even lower dose. 4mg is still a pretty high dose; Suboxone is a very potent drug. The lower you can get the taper down, the better.

Once you finally jump off, remember that the WD's won't hit for 2 or 3 days because of the long half-life of the drug. You won't feel like doing anything for a couple of weeks. I found for me trying to stay busy with very minor tasks that weren't physically taxing helped pass the time and kept my mind off the WD's. Reading, watching TV, listening to music all helped. Go for walks too. Eat well (bananas for some reason really helped me) too. Take Advil or Tylenol for the aches and plenty of hot showers. Drink fluids. Ammonium AD for bowel issues....lol The greatest healer of all is time. We are all pulling for you. I myself just quit heroin (for the 10th freakin time). I'm currently detoxing with street purchased Methadone pills. I wish you luck.....wish me luck too!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I have no advice to offer. But please post your progress report. At some point down the line I want off suboxone as well so I will be interested to see how you do
Old 04-28-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

No experience here with opiates either just wanted to wish you luck and remind you to stay hydrated (not sure if it s valid for subs detox but when people get off alcohol they are very dehydrated) and take some vitamins.

You can do it! Oh and please join us at the 24 hours club where we commit not to drink or drug for the next 24 hours. Before you know it, those days do add up.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...elcome-20.html

Good luck
Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How are you feeling Stopper? I haven't been on SR since Friday so I'm trying to catch up with everyone's progress! My doc took me down to 1mg sub today. By Friday I'm supposed to skip every other day at one for about 4 - 6 days. She said there is no .5mg which I thought was weird because a few people on here have been on .5 mg before. I'm just following docs orders! Hope everyone is well. Would love to hear everyone's progress!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I want to say thx for all your comments. Literally choked me up to see people giving a damn.

Clean- I took a 1/4 Sat and 1/4 this morning. My taper was fast but being that I started cutting down and feeling w/d's I decided keep going quick & rip it off like a bandaid ya know?

Phish- Appreciate every last bit of your advice and already am and wil continue to put it to use.

MK- I am keeping VERY detailed journal of what I am going thru and how I am doing it so keep in touch with me for sure!

Carlotta- Thx for commenting and I am gonna check out that link in a sec.

Avery- thought about u alot this weekend and wondering how you are doing too.

Cold turkey turned into taking about 3/4 of a pill over the last 4 days. But I am still gonna try everyday.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The anxiety and depression is setting in. My hubby wants to take me out for my bday on Wed and I have no desire to celebrate. I think my best bet is to go for a long run when I get home from work. I have no energy for this but I'm still going.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stopper - it is good to see you are still plugging away. 3/4 a pill over 4 days is a big improvement from where you were. How are the cravings going? It sounded like the H was calling to you over the weekend.

Avery - you might not feel like it now, but going out on your bday may help get your mind off of things. You don't have to make the decision now anyway. Running will definitely help. Keep on going and never give up. When you really need the energy it will come.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Avery I agree w/ Opio. It sounds like you are where I was about a week ago, and that w/d is wat pushed me to want this done quickly! I don't care if you have to drag yourself up, throw on clothes and cry the whole time please try to go out for your bday. I believe it WILL help!

Get ANGRY with the pills and the feelings. This is a FIGHT! People here care, that is so much of what is keeping me going. This is not easy but I keep thinking whatever I do... DON"T go backwards... even if it means staying where I am another day.

Opio---It's calling. Still calling. Does it ever stop? That feeling of (u know) that we yearn for? For me it all comes back to H.. I took another 1/4 this afternoon, and am going as long as I can tonight without more... We shall see how I end up. It helped handing the bottle over (obviously) and only having 3 left.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had a really bad night last night. Only slept 3 hours and was wide awake the entire night sweating, RLS, tummy pain, all of it. I wanted to call my dealer because I knew, 1 pill, just 1 pill would make me feel better. I didn't though. Dropping down to 1mg has been HARD. I'm probably actually just now feeling the drop to 2 mg. This extended WD process has me angry and wishing I just took a week off work and gotten it over with. My taper was going so well until last night. I'm an emotional wreck today. I need to keep moving forward. I know this. But all I want to do is cry. I just need to get through the work day today. I want to be that person who wakes up in the morning ready to tackle their day WITHOUT needing pills. It seems so far away. Sorry to be such a downer. I'm grasping for even a little positivity today
Old 04-29-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

AveryMarie-

I am not sure what your taper schedule looks like, but it sounds like you are going too fast if your body did not have time to adjust to 2mg before dropping to 1mg. In fact, a drop from 2mg to 1mg is a 100% drop. Why not let your body stabilize on 2mg and then drop to 1.5mg? Not trying to give medical advice, just wondering. suboxone is a very powerful drug and 2mg isn't an insignificant amount.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You're right, it is a fast taper and I did talk about my concerns with my doc but she said the whole point is to get off subs as quickly as possible and not take them for an extended period of time. My taper has gone exactly as planned. I may be pushing myself a little to hard towards the end and the doc said if I needed to stay at 2mg for a few more days then it wasn't a problem. I start a new job on Friday and want to be done asap. I understand going to fast can cause a relapse but I just want this over with. I'm going to feel the WD's regardless when dropping from 2mg to 1 mg. I feel it's been dragging for to long. Either way the WD's are here. I'm hoping they wont be as bad as I've only been on subs for less than a month. Tapered down from 16mg starting April 2nd and now I'm at 1mg. Yesterday was TOUGH. Today is no different. I really need to overpower my brain and stay positive. After going through all of this I hope I never pick up a pill again.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

AM, I like your attitude. What you are doing is not easy but it can be done. You're also right that it's pay now or pay later.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you, I needed to hear that! Today is kicking my A**!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well, kick its A** back!. My money is on you vs Sub.