Notices

Cold Turkey Tomorrow. Positive Advice?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Will my AV ever go away??!!! GRRRR!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I hear that it will.. avery I was getting on here to see how you are? What mg? Withdrawals etc? Thinking of you!!!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hey! How is the CT going for ya? You can do it!
Old 05-08-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey Avery and sub. I haven't been on here in a while. Trying to keep very very busy! How are you guys? I hope all is well!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hey Nj thx for asking. I am kinda blah... Only hopping on here for a sec, but Ill prolly update to my blog here tonight.
Dunno bout Avery, I am gonna keep checking on her..
Old 05-08-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Stopper - I hope things are going OK. The 'blah' feelings are rough in the beginning. You can do this. Also, don't forget that 'blah' is better than misery.

Avery - how are things? Let us know how it is going.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Stopper, hey, hang in there.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Here is the link to my blog on this website with an update on whats up with me... kinda stuck.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ing-faith.html
Old 05-09-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Stopper - I can see that you are struggling. From reading your blog it seems like you are also mad at yourself for wavering and not being 100% all the time. I never had a withdrawal where there weren't points that I wavered. There were countless times that I got really psyched up to quit and gave it my all only to cry uncle within the first 36 hours. A lot of that was because I expected to not waver during the withdrawal and it caught me off guard. As soon as I even started to waver I felt like I had already lost, but that wasn't the case.

The only times where I was successful were those times when I just didn't give up. That meant keeping on when I wasn't 100% resolute in quitting. No matter what strategy you use as far as the tapering goes it is going to come down to not giving up regardless of what comes. If it was a marathon this would be like you getting frustrated because you didn't meet your expectation on mile 6. All the sudden the thought of finishing the race seems like it is 100 miles away. Instead of giving the race up you need to just keep on putting one foot in front of the other. The rest will get sorted out.

You can do this. You have withdrawn before and you can do it again. Don't think yourself out of it.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thx Opio- U have a great way of saying things in a way that makes sense & puts exactlt what I am feeling into a different perspective.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Keep it up

Last year in April I tapered subs after about 2 years starting at 16mgs down to 2mgs. The taper from 16-2 was a short time. It was as low as I could get myself to go. For about the last 2 weeks I was doing 2 then 3, then 2, then 1, then 3, then 2, then 2, etc, etc. I realized the addict would not allow me to do the impossible taper that I've seen people say works great. I guess all or nothing right? So I had to stop and go from 2mgs to 0.

There is a lot of information out there to help counter the withdrawals. Google (long term opiate effects on the human body)
Opiates mess up everything from your raising your body's production of norepinephrine, to imbalance of sex hormones, to your feel good hormones, it even increases prolactin in your body which can be a major cause for weakness and pain. Increase in norepinephrine is due to the opiates originally suppressing the production so your body increases it to make you feel normal on opiates. When you cut the opiates out you are in "fight or flight" mode because opiates are gone and norepinephrine stays raised. This shuts off the circulation of blood to the less important parts of the body and keeps the blood in major organs.
Imbalance of sex hormones male or female can cause major depression and not allow your body to recover properly. Testosterone, estrogen, and progesterone imbalance whether in male or female can keep you depressed for awhile.
Hydration and nutrition is very important. Drink tons of water and pedialite.
Buy protien powders and amino acids or meal replacement drinks if you are having a hard time eating solid foods.
I can't give medical advice on here. do the research correctly and combat each symptom by making a list of what happens to your body and what is out of whack. Take your list and type in for example " decreasing body's norepinephrine production" you can make a list of everything that will help get you body back to normal. There are plenty of over the counter vitamins, herbs, supplements ect and there are plenty of non addicting medical drugs that can help.
I wish I could make it easy and give you the list that helped me. But they take it down and email me if I do :-).

I can tell you by day 4 I was so bored I went to the grocery store and on day 5 I was at the gym.

It can be done. It doesn't have to be as painful and things do get better.

Write down you goals and everything you want to achieve. Do something towards those goals every day. And staying clean for that day does count. Even if you feel you got nothing done. Stay clean. Soon you will be able to do the next little thing towards your goals. Before you know it you will be living like a normal person and you won't even remember what this felt like.

Make a goal for today
1 week goal
1 month goal
1 year goal
5 year goal.

Sorry for babbling. I just know it can be done and life can be good again.
Good luck!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thx Midwest! Not babbling at all. I really need all that babble. I am stuck at 1.5 and making myself completely miserable. Thx for commenting
Old 05-17-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

You can do anything you put your mind to. I stopped 205mg a day of methadone cold turkey on the 17th of April. It was not that bad. I was on for a year and a half and before that I was using 900 to 1000mg of oxy a day...I had a tolerence that was ridiculous. I was spending 600$ a day for about two years. I will say that the withdrawal from the pills was way way worse than the methadone. My counselours and doctor were shocked that I quit the methadone of that dose cold turkey. Anyone can do anything they put their mind to. The body is an amazing thing. If anyone wants advice on how to cope or quit cold turkey, just leave a reply and I will let you know. Best of luck to everyone out there.