Notices

Cold Turkey Tomorrow. Positive Advice?

Old 04-29-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm sitting in my office with the skin crawls and sweats. Worst feeling ever when it's 95 degrees out! I'm hungry but I can't eat. I'm thirsty but nothing is quenching. I'm kicking back....HARD. You have your money right where it needs to be
Old 04-29-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wasn't trying to be a downer or question your ability. I guess I didn't (still don't) understand why you would go on suboxone only to jump from such a high dose so quickly after starting. No offense, but what was the point? It seems counterproductive to get on such a long lasting drug if you are not going to taper slowly and deliberately down to as low a level as you can get. If i was going to deal with full on withdrawals i would want to do it from a short acting drug to get it over with.

Anyway, i really do wish you luck.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I didn't take it as you being a downer at all. I'm only going off the advice my doc gave me. She said Suboxone isn't a drug that you should be on for very long. I have slowly tapered over a month. I had no WD's until I went down to 1mg. If I had WD's in the beginning then she wouldn't have lowered me. I figure I'm at 1mg and if I'm just now feeling the WD's then I think that's pretty good. Either way the point is to get off all meds. At this lower dose I'm ready to jump. This has been a rough day for me but I feel I'm on the right track. And if my doctor is on board then I'm good with it. You're going to get WD's no matter what. But I wont be getting full blown WD's like I would going CT.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have never experienced suboxone or methadone or any kind if program like that. I just decided to stop using H cold turkey, this past Sunday. It has been hell. I researched all kinds of ways to cope with the withdrawal. There are many things you can do to make it less hellish, but ultimately it's going to suck. I highly recommend visiting this forum frequently to find words of encouragement to get you through. I know that what hasgot me through it this far is knowing that I wasn't alone. I will check back often to see how you're doing. Good luck! And know that we support your decision and will be with you the whole time!

-Steve-
Old 04-29-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you for the encouragement Steve! It was much needed today. I know the WD's are hell. I've tried to stop CT lots of times before but didn't make it to far. That's when I knew I needed help. Great for you on quitting H! It's no walk in the park but I'm confident you will get through it. Keep me posted on how you're doing. This place really has been a huge support!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Avery, no problem glad I could provide some helpful words being that I'm still so early on myself. I will be on this site as frequently as possible. It's amazing what positive words can do for a person. And yes, no walk in the park at all. But all of your support really makes it that much easier to get through. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Avery U freaking rock! It is fast, but u will be OKAY! If we do not do this now, we will have to do this eventually, and feel worse every time b/c we gave up.
It gets harder not easier every relapse. I am a relapse pro!

I am SO proud of you!!! It's ok to cry. This is real advice- cry it out- look in the mirror when u are upset and tell yourself you are better than this! It's amazing what that will do for your spirits. I am really pulling for you/us.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am pulling for both of you! As my energy and overall well being are starting to return, i can't believe that I haven't called my dealer in the last few days. My using buddy unfortunately caved today. He said he bought some dope to get him through today and will be buying suboxones from a dealer tomorrow. Will do a week long regimen and be done. I hope he does. I wish you both luck in your detoxes and please keep us updated here! We will be here for support when you need us!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Steve you rock too. H is hellacious to come off of. Avery- blast music (headphones at work), keep posting on here, sit in the sun, walk for 2 minutes, take some ibuprofen or Aleve. If you haven't read anything about what opiates do to your endorphins I highly recom. looking it up.
It really helps to understand what we are fighting. It helps deal with it, and helps us be a little easier on ourselves.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sub is right, do a bit of research tonight. There are ways to make it less intense. Yes it's going to be a hellish experience, but take some vitamins and supplements, drink lots of water, orange juice, and try your damnedest to eat. It will most likely come back up but the little nutrients you can absorb will help just that much more.

Thinking of both of you and wishing you as little pain in this process as possible!

-Steve-
Old 04-29-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

yo- ya know this forum is totally like a family...lol. It is so funny total strangers who literally know my thoughts and can call bullsh!t, as well as know what to say for all the crap that goes with w/ds.

It's amazing, specifically w/ opiates how we all go through essentially the same crap.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I hate we're going through this but glad were going through it together!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sub i said the same thing on another thread! It's amazing how total strangers can feel like family in these times. I hope we all make it through and continue to support each other even in the good times.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Avery and Sub, I know it's early yet, but do you have any updates on your situations? I hope you are still pushing through and staying strong! I'm on day 4 of withdrawal and feeling great. I just ate a healthy breakfast and am sitting at work ready to take on the day. If anything, use this as hope that there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel.

Thinking of you!

-Steve-
Old 04-30-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

That's awesome avery. It sounds like you've got it under control. I was just curious as to your process. Stick with it, it will pass soon.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi Steve! Left you a message a few minutes ago So happy you are on the right track! Was thinking of you and sub when I woke up.

Well, you were right clean, my body couldn't handle the drop to 1mg. I'm going to stay at 2mg for another few days then drop to 1mg. I've gotten this far with no WD's so it was time to take a step back. BUT, today is way better than yesterday. The worst WD symptom for me is the hot and cold sweats. I hate it! The skin crawls are annoying.

Going to push hard today. The last place I want to be is at work but I'm hoping it will take my mind off things.

Lots of love to all!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

You can do it Avery! I know you can do it. This whole thing had sucked, but underneath the WD's, we are all here for each other. I'm so grateful for you all. Not sure if I would have made it through these last few days without ya! Keep in touch, and don't quit!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Stopper - I was busy around the house for the past couple days or I would have gotten back to you on your question sooner. As far as the cravings go, I think you can do things to minimize them. I used to think that they were a given for the rest of my life, and that I just had to push through them. So long as I could make it through that day that was all I really needed to do. I have been more proactive this time, and the cravings have honestly been minimal. I'm at 2 1/2 months right now, and there has really only been one serious craving where I felt like I was wavering. That one was triggered by stress, but I was able to pull out of it.

For managing the cravings I did a few things. First and foremost I reflected back on my time using as objectively as possible, and realized that what I was craving wasn't even possible anymore. My cravings were for the first time / honeymoon period, and I am not getting back to those in this lifetime...ever. It took me a long time to realize that for some reason. In a sense I was addicted to the promise of that feeling, but not the feeling itself. Again, the good times were over years ago.

Secondly, I stopped responding to my AV. When it would start up some BS internal dialogue in my head I didn't try to argue with it - I just ignored it. If it said something like "You have been good for a while now, let's go get a bundle..." I wouldn't even try to argue with it I would just distract myself with something else. That has really quieted my AV down. In the past I think I just strengthened my AV even when I "won" the argument in my head.

Those were probably the two biggest things. There will still be times when I will sense a craving coming on, but I will typically be able to distract myself before it even gets off the ground. Meditation has given me an unexpected benefit of being able to shift my attention more seamlessly. Also, I think it is important to never fantasize about past using. In the past I would do that as an outlet (thinking it would be better to think about using rather than using), but it would backfire on me. I am only 2 1/2 months in so take all of this with a grain of salt. It has been helping tremendously (I have less cravings now than when I was at 1 year to 1 1/2 years with my prior quit), but I am expecting my AV to come up with a new tactic soon enough.

Avery - you are doing great even at 2 mg for a few days. Just keep going and don't stop. That is really what it all comes down to. You don't fail unless you give up. One thing I would strongly suggest is to be mentally prepared for the WDs. I spent a long, long time trying to come up with a plan to get off opis unscathed, but it wasn't until I stopped looking for that easy out that it became possible. Hopefully, you will have a relatively mild withdrawal, but at some point we all have to bite the bullet and be ready to go through hell or high water to get through it.

Steve - welcome! Congrats on 4 days. Those are always the toughest!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Just got to the docs but I wanted to pop in quick and say I'll update later today.

Opio: I feel like an idiot...but what is AV? Thx for the advice- even from a 2 1/2 month standpoint I believe that advice will serve me well.

Avery- glad to hear your update! Been thinking of you tons too.

NJ how many days do you have now? How are the w/d's?

I'll check in later today. *peace & good luck to all today.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

AV = Addict Voice (aka the devil on my shoulder).