So here's the thing about AVRT and the Big Plan

Old 11-06-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I LOVE THIS THREAD! You guys are smart and funny. My dinner went off without a hitch, except my man friend had an episode that appeared to be a heart attack, so paramedics were called in, baby aspirin administered. There was barfing and fainting - poor PR indeed for the restaurant. Turns out my pal experienced a major battle between sticky polenta and acid reflux disorder. I was happy to be sober throughout. (I am, after all, a non-drinker.)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm doing well, Stewart, thank you. I always find freshstart's words very inspiring too, the post of his that is stickied was my first read about AVRT and the Big Plan. My Beast is really quieting down as I proceed to live a reasonable, rational life as much as possible. My thoughts relating to sobriety are mostly on my relationships with others lately, I have things to prove that I can't do with words, but that said rational, reasonable life will over time. So, I'm really just living as well as I can, with my Big Plan and AVRT to keep me outta handcuffs.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great thread Foolsgold 66 !

Freshstart's thoughts have always been illuminating, inspiring and comforting to me too.

Good stuff Mesa !?!

Oh, !?? just had to share this little thing that seems funny now,....
This is pretty close to what my AV used to spout whenever I saw a * Please Drink Responsibly * Commercial !?!

South Park - Drinking Commercial - YouTube

Published on Nov 5, 2014

The drinking ad from "Freemium Isn't Free" (S18E06.)

You. Friends. Fun. Drink. Hot girls. You're hot. Drink more. Expensive cars. Ass. Drink. Ass. Money. You in a tuxedo. Threesome. Vodka. p*ssy. Drink! Drink! Drink! You! Drink! Naked! Fun! p*ssy! You! In a tuxedo f--king this girl! Vodka! Drink! Drink! Drink! Drink it all you f--king p*ssy! More tuxedos! More cars! More p*ssy! More vodka! Drink! Drink! Drink!

Please drink responsibly.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
quat

I'm just so negative about certain things. Lately it's always the same.

"Can I get you .." the waitress asks, "No, thanks" says I.
"Would you like me to grab you a cold.." a friend asks. "Nope, I'm good" says me.

The only time I answer in the positive stance is if the question comes from a voice nobody can hear "Hey seriously, are always gonna say NO?" , then I smile inwardly and say/think Yep
Never knew I could do it, until I decided I could. Now what was it my mom said about always being negative... Onward
Old 11-08-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Service Dog

I was just reading about Service Dogs. I am training my addiction animal to be a level-four:

Level four training teaches the dog to respond to the handler, regardless of its situation, environment, or its particular experience. In this level the dog is tested continuously by being placed in situations where they have the choice to choose whether to follow the commands of their handler, or to follow their own dictates. The dog is then taught that not following the commands of their handler can be dangerous, self-abusive, and futile.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This is my first post and I am quite nervous. I just found AVRT today and have committed to my Big Plan and am terrified of failure to say the least. Countless seem the promises I have made to myself and not kept. The Beast within is very loud and I feel very small, though determined. I have been reading all of your posts, thank you so much for your insight!
Old 01-11-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FullStop View Post
I . . . am terrified of failure to say the least
The fear of failure is your addictive voice speaking to you. "It" is telling you that you will fail. Recognize this fear and anxiety about failure as your Beast speaking to you through the addictive voice, and the feelings regarding failure will dissipate.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You may feel small, FullStop, but you are towering and omnipotent where those urges to drink are concerned. The only ingredient that is needed, and it's truly magic and transformative, is a belief in self. You can do this. Picture yourself sober, doing things that sober people do, living how sober people do, and then do that.

You deserve this. Demand it and accept nothing less. It is all there, for you, waiting for you. Just say yes to becoming who you are meant to be.

And keep posting - lots of support here for you.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am literally in tears, I am so thankful you are still here. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words!!!
Old 01-11-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am literally in tears, I am so thankful you are still here. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words!!!
FullStop, you may want to consider buying the book: Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction. While the book isn't necessary to successfully use RR's AVRT technique, I did find the extra information very useful.

Used copies can be bought cheaply on half.com and amazon.com (and probably other sites as well).
Old 01-11-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

This is my first post and I am quite nervous. I just found AVRT today and have committed to my Big Plan and am terrified of failure to say the least. Countless seem the promises I have made to myself and not kept. The Beast within is very loud and I feel very small, though determined. I have been reading all of your posts, thank you so much for your insight!
Hi FullStop. Welcome to SR. You sounds just like me a little more than 2 years ago. I know what you mean about breaking countless promises. I have tried to quit smoking countless times. I was terrified I was going to fail at this too. I think that helped me because that terror came from me realizing I had to quit or else! The idea of being completely lost to an alcoholic life and taking my family with me was too much to imagine.
You do have a choice here. It does not have to end that way. When I was drinking I convinced myself I had to keep doing it. I didn't.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

welcome FullStop, I drank for almost 40 years. Near the end I was drinking more than the rest my neighborhood was combined. Something happened and I needed to stop.
I have been sober since. I made up my mind I would never drink again - no matter what. I had a year just before 2015. I'm never going to drink again.
As long as you accept it and put it in your head, you will never drink again. Period.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Welcome Fullstop. I subscribe to this area of SR and get emails every day letting me know of activity in the conversations. It is very helpful to check in each morning as I'm drinking my coffee. The connection to others is crucial. Especially for independent people, or "loners" which many alcoholics consider themselves to be. Cheers! (With coffee mug in hand)!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You still around, FullStop? I've been coming back around to check on you.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you all so very much for all the suggestions and telling me your journey! I put the Beast in TIMEOUT... he is pouting in the corner because I additionally gave him no speaking privileges! Now I feel stonger and more control and not small... Hey it works for my kids too. :o)

As for the suggestion to do enjoy doing things sober people do, I woke up the morning after my first post so angry at the Beast.... (hence the timeout above), I enjoy distance cycling so I thought I might as well jump in full throttle and give myself a HUGE goal, something that will take my time in training and getting back into shape.... so I have signed up and got picked in the lottery for The Triple Bypass cycling event! I am so excited! 120 miles - 3 mountain passes - over 10,000 feet elevation climb!

Go big or go HOME!

You all are an inspiration to me! Thanks so much! I too come and read posts over coffee (I'm keeping that vice!)
Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Holy crap!! Good luck!!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thank you! I am going to need it!!!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
quat

ah yeah holy crap, that is awesome, good luck !

How long does it take to train for an event like that ?
Old 01-15-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Holy moly, FullStop! My muscles cramped up just reading that!

Most excellent.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well, the event is on July 11th, 2015 and I'm going to need every day. I have done several centuries before and I did the Iron Horse Classic between Durango and Silverton, CO which is only 50 miles but a HUGE climb. The problem is I could never fully train for these because I was always drinking... which SUCKS, cuz I just made it through them... So hopefully this little girl can keep the beast in time out and train hard! Life is short and I'm not getting any younger... 48 to be exact. I WILL get in the best shape of my life and STAY that way THIS YEAR!

YOU ALL ARE AWESOME!