Help me out here...

Old 02-14-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by unentschieden View Post
I have a comment back to the original Creekryder post, though reading the ensuing exchanges was quite interesting.

A part of the AVRT book that I found interesting was when it pointed out the similarity between the AV and the voice in my head that tells me to rear end the jerk that just cut me off. I know that I don't want to do that, but there is certainly a part of me that makes me feel the satisfaction of doing it.

AVRT has given that part (or a similar one) a name and given me the power to recognize that I make the decisions for me.

I know now what he means when he says that if you truly subscribe to AVRT you will find it IMPOSSIBLE to drink alcohol. At first that sounded nutty.

While I'm truly thankful for for Terminally Unique's reading recommendations, it almost makes me sad because I may not need the support of this group much longer....thanks to AVRT I feel totally secure in my lifelong abstinence!
To me, this post reveals some of the beauty of AVR, a Technique that puts the Structural Model to use in exposing the awesome impact of the Big Plan. It's my Big Plan, which took about 5 seconds to complete, that is the actual source of making my future drinking impossible. It's a commitment that actually has a vast presence throughout American history. But the fact that literally scores of millions of people have made it, by other names, doesn't mean mine is any more or less secure. The Big Plan is either on, or not yet connected. It can't be turned off. It's not a switch. It's a permanently wired circuit. It doesn't need a lot of power/effort. It's just there.

The mixed feelings about a sense of need for support is nicely expressed by unentschieden, that mixture being part AV. Instead of support I consider these AVRT threads to be information exchange because the AV loves the idea that one might "need the support of this group". And, as I see it in my short time on SR, TU has been admirably accurate in providing information about what is AV and what isn't.

By the way, I translated unentshieden. It means "undecided". No longer, I bet.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I think Wonderland was misunderstood here, I did not read those posts as you did.

Originally Posted by Wonderland View Post
Addressing the brain chemistry in relation to alcohol abuse is very interesting to me. If the original chemical imbalances to be corrected, then perhaps people,like myself, wouldn't derive such enormous pleasure from drinking.
and might not drink at all then.
The ambivalence/uncertainty, which you note with the qualifier "might not" is precisely what makes the statement Addictive Voice. It is also AV because it places a precondition on not drinking, which necessarily implies a condition for drinking in the absence of that precondition.

There is no plan to keep drinking there, TU, nor was there an opportunity for you to lead Wonderland to making A Big Plan concerning future use of alcohol. You have a fabulous hammer in your AVRT master status, but not all posters are nails.
My response was probably too direct, notably with posts #17 and #18, which I was conflicted about, but I decided it might help others who were reading zero in on the more subtle forms of AV in their own thinking. Hopefully she won't take it too personally. Neither a Big Plan, nor AVRT, can be forced on another person.

You know that I am a strong AVRT and TU supporter. However, I think you missed the opportunity for a completely different discussion, the discussion intended by Wonderland. Too bad.
This is true, but this thread wasn't originally about brain chemistry and neurotransmitters. From what I read, Creekryder was having concerns about viewing the Beast of AVRT as a distinct, rational entity.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I know now what he means when he says that if you truly subscribe to AVRT you will find it IMPOSSIBLE to drink alcohol. At first that sounded nutty.

While I'm truly thankful for for Terminally Unique's reading recommendations, it almost makes me sad because I may not need the support of this group much longer....thanks to AVRT I feel totally secure in my lifelong abstinence!
As GerandTwine noted, AVRT is not really about support per se, at least not in the usual sense. Furthermore, if support becomes a precondition for not drinking, which necessarily implies that without support, one will drink, then the desire for support is actually Addictive Voice. That said, it is entirely up to you whether or not to stick around here. While I think that since you grasped AVRT so quickly, you might be able to help others grasp it, there is no obligation for you to do so, and I wish you the best either way.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
First of all, let me make the point clear that I am not denouncing AVRT. It is basically what I have felt for years. But I would like to address a question I have been mulling over in my mind.
Is is a good thing to separate ourselves from ourselves? When we talk of the "beast", it is like it is a foreign invader that has taken over our actions. But isn't it, in reality, not an alien but a part of us? And within my belief system, integration of oneself is imperative to be complete and healthy? I can't put my finger quite squarely on it at present, but something is not ringing true with me. I have used the analogy of the beast numerous times but am beginning to feel this disassociation with a part of myself disturbing. By all means this addictive part must be controlled as it is dangerous. But this fragmentation is concern to me.
I appreciate your thoughts.
This has become an AVRT discussion, and I like those plenty, but there may be a different and more comprehensive idea here. This idea of dissociation from our harmful tendencies, a core concept from AVRT, is not novel or new. It can be found in many many paradigms which can lead a state of grace, enlightenment, nirvana, and so on.

I am learning to appreciate the idea that we recognize distractions (such as an urge to drink, or the urge to rear-end that jerk on the freeway) as they enter our consciousness, but that we don't act on them, we don't even judge them. Instead, we separate ourselves from these distractions because they do not come from our Buddha nature / our Christian soul / our sober self etc. They are not 'us'.

Another way to look at this is to consider that by shrinking the attachment suffering / the pain body / moral failings, we are creating space inside ourselves for enlightenment / serenity / state of grace and allowing that to become the dominant force in our lives.

These are some of the parallels and comparisons that I have been thinking about, how to get rid of the junk like addiction so that I can make room for concern for others and serenity for myself.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post

The Big Plan is either on, or not yet connected. It can't be turned off. It's not a switch. It's a permanently wired circuit. It doesn't need a lot of power/effort. It's just there.
This sounds correct, and Trimpey once compared AVRT to removing the firing pin from a gun, so that it can no longer work. The implication being that with AVRT in place, drinking or using is no longer possible.

Originally Posted by Jack Trimpey

AVRT distinguishes between the proximal cause of addiction, the Addictive Voice, and the distal causes, which are always incorporated into the Addictive Voice. The epidemiology and etiology of addiction are moot points, because we are only concerned with the proximal cause of drinking, the Addictive Voice, i.e., the Beast... In AVRT, these distal "causes" of addiction are recognized as "explanations" or "reasons" for why, why, why people drink or use drugs, and, I hope, assigned to the scrap heap we call "the Addictive Voice."

An analogy could be drawn from someone shooting a gun. There may be many "reasons" or "explanations" on why the person shot the gun (distal causes), but the proximal cause for the bullet flying over the hill is that the firing pin struck the powder, resulting in an explosion that sent the bullet flying. AVRT is akin to removing the firing pin from the gun so that no matter what distal causes exist... the drinking/drugging response will not occur. It's just not there.

Excerpt from the "Trimpey-Ellis Debate"
Journal of RR, Vol 7, #2, Iss. 38, Nov-Dec 1994
Copyright (©) Jack Trimpey
All Rights Reserved

Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This idea of dissociation from our harmful tendencies, a core concept from AVRT, is not novel or new.
Indeed it isn't, and you can find almost direct analogues in the scriptures of many ancient religions, certainly in the Bible.

I am learning to appreciate the idea that we recognize distractions (such as an urge to drink, or the urge to rear-end that jerk on the freeway) as they enter our consciousness, but that we don't act on them, we don't even judge them.
This very thing is discussed in The Art of AVRT, and an analogy is made between one's stream of consciousness and a conveyor belt.

Originally Posted by The Art of AVRT by Jack Trimpey

Your duty is to stand duty at the portal of your mind and simply recognize the Addictive Voice as it streams by. Think of a conveyor belt fed ping-pong balls through a tube, and your job is to sort the bad ones from the good. However, all the bad ones are bright red and have "Danger" written all over them. For you, the most conspicuous matter in the universe is the stuff of your addiction or ideas about it. You also that the sole cause of addiction is the Addictive Voice, the red balls. This is very easy because it takes no effort to recognize something if you know what you're looking for.

From "The Art of AVRT" (Pg 110)
Copyright © 2010 by Jack Trimpey
All Rights Reserved
Old 01-07-2022, 01:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Indeed it isn't, and you can find almost direct analogues in the scriptures of many ancient religions, certainly in the Bible.

This very thing is discussed in The Art of AVRT, and an analogy is made between one's stream of consciousness and a conveyor belt.
Makes sense. Once identified, what do you do with the red ball? What do you do with the thought? How do you avoid it entering the aspect of the mind that allows for thoughts to become actions?
Old 01-08-2022, 07:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

hi naz,
Terminally Unique hasn’t been around, and this is a very old thread.
welcome to you!
there are other AVRTers here, though, and maybe one of them can shed some light on your questions.
or read some of the other AVRT threads, or get the Rational Recovery book.

try this one: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post6851332 (AVRT Explained (long))
Old 01-08-2022, 10:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome, naz!

much to explore here in this very welcoming place❤️
Old 01-09-2022, 09:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

thanks!!

Old 01-09-2022, 09:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sure it's part of you...probably always will be

Just ask it to change it's language
Old 01-09-2022, 07:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by naz111 View Post
Makes sense. Once identified, what do you do with the red ball? What do you do with the thought? How do you avoid it entering the aspect of the mind that allows for thoughts to become actions?
hey naz,
what i personally do after i “hear” the thought is step back and go whoa, there is this thought in my head! will you look at that!
and i do look at it, wonder why it popped up, what is behind it, so to speak.
so my actions around it are investigative, or these days mostly just shrugging in some kind of amazed acceptance that this pop-up stuff is still there occasionally.
interesting point you make about the “aspect of the mind that allows for thoughts to become actions”.
hm...who does the allowing?
thoughts ”become” actions? really?
no, i think not. we somewhere somehow take steps to turn to action.

all that being said, these are just my thoughts and i’m no AVRT follower so hoping someone will come and converse with you about the red balls.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

never mind anything i said, naz, i just saw the other thread you’re posting in here and the great conversation there.
so you’re in the right spot to bat those balls around
Old 01-11-2022, 11:54 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks fini for the response! It's easy for me to get lost in thinking about my thinking. I find the mind and human behavior so interesting. In the end, who cares. Just quit and move on! Hahaha - there are more interesting things to think about!

I'm just curious, what ever happened to TU?

Originally Posted by fini View Post
hey naz,
what i personally do after i “hear” the thought is step back and go whoa, there is this thought in my head! will you look at that!
and i do look at it, wonder why it popped up, what is behind it, so to speak.
so my actions around it are investigative, or these days mostly just shrugging in some kind of amazed acceptance that this pop-up stuff is still there occasionally.
interesting point you make about the “aspect of the mind that allows for thoughts to become actions”.
hm...who does the allowing?
thoughts ”become” actions? really?
no, i think not. we somewhere somehow take steps to turn to action.

all that being said, these are just my thoughts and i’m no AVRT follower so hoping someone will come and converse with you about the red balls.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

don’t know what happened to TU.
maybe they did exactly what you propose: just quit and move on ;-)
tongue in cheek, of course. if everyone did that, you’d never meet long-term sober people on any forum.
what a loss that would be!
Old 01-13-2022, 09:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

An old thread but a good topic. AVRT is the only thing that every worked for me.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:09 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

An old thread, but a topic that I haven't talked about, at least directly or indepth. First, I'm a fan of Rational Recovery, but that doesn't mean I don't question anything about it. To address the original question in the thread, "What about identifying the "alcoholic voice" as the "beast," or "some other entity" rather than ourselves?" I've wondered about this some, because compartmentalizing the AV in a way that removes these illogical thoughts from ourselves is not the way I usually address my inner conflicts. I see them as me, not another entity, and I need to take care of me, not someone else. If I think illogically, I want to address that as me. I want to own that crap inside me and deal with it directly.

Maybe for others, such compartmentalization helps to detach it from themselves and made it less threatening. I prefer to own it with full clarity and accept this nonsense for what it is. But perhaps compartmentalizing has merit as a tool to soften the blow and free us up to take a more impersonal view without holding ourselves directly responsible, and if that helps others, OK. I have pointed this out in other threads, without making a big deal out of it, but the AV is us feeding us our own BS, not a separate entity. I assume everyone realizes that. I'm just being pedantic now because this was the original question here, and it's something I have thought about, although not to the extent that I want to undermine RR or AVRT.

Having said all this, I have always thought it was funny cute to label that ugly side of us as a separate entity, the AV. There is a certain cleverness in that, but from my perspective, unnecessary. Calling it the Beast takes it too far for me, because beasts are mean, where the AV is more dumbass stupid and illogical. I don't see it as having evil intentions. It's just a part of us that doesn't have a clue about how to process thoughts and information effectively.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
An old thread, but a topic that I haven't talked about, at least directly or indepth. First, I'm a fan of Rational Recovery, but that doesn't mean I don't question anything about it. To address the original question in the thread, "What about identifying the "alcoholic voice" as the "beast," or "some other entity" rather than ourselves?" I've wondered about this some, because compartmentalizing the AV in a way that removes these illogical thoughts from ourselves is not the way I usually address my inner conflicts. I see them as me, not another entity, and I need to take care of me, not someone else. If I think illogically, I want to address that as me. I want to own that crap inside me and deal with it directly.

Maybe for others, such compartmentalization helps to detach it from themselves and made it less threatening. I prefer to own it with full clarity and accept this nonsense for what it is. But perhaps compartmentalizing has merit as a tool to soften the blow and free us up to take a more impersonal view without holding ourselves directly responsible, and if that helps others, OK. I have pointed this out in other threads, without making a big deal out of it, but the AV is us feeding us our own BS, not a separate entity. I assume everyone realizes that. I'm just being pedantic now because this was the original question here, and it's something I have thought about, although not to the extent that I want to undermine RR or AVRT.

Having said all this, I have always thought it was funny cute to label that ugly side of us as a separate entity, the AV. There is a certain cleverness in that, but from my perspective, unnecessary. Calling it the Beast takes it too far for me, because beasts are mean, where the AV is more dumbass stupid and illogical. I don't see it as having evil intentions. It's just a part of us that doesn't have a clue about how to process thoughts and information effectively.
I agree with most of this. I think on a purely practical level, it's not helpful to continually imagine ourselves as two separate entities. I do believe though, that addiction affects our behaviour in a way that's unrecogniseable when seen from a sober perspective. There are things we do under the influence that we couldnt even imagine doing when not. I do find the AV analogy useful, but only to the point where I can try to reduce it's presence until it becomes irrelevant. I've spent all my time during my drinking years trying to 'escape'. Part of the healing process for me is returning to self where that is a more rational place free from the madness of addiction.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Triggered View Post
addiction affects our behaviour in a way that's unrecogniseable when seen from a sober perspective. There are things we do under the influence that we couldnt even imagine doing when not.
In that regard, it is as if we are two different people, and I sometimes look back at the drinking part of my life, and ask, "Who was that guy?" Well, of course it was me, but even today, that person strikes me as a completely different person. So in that way, the AV kind of makes sense as a different person. Of course it's us; We all know that, but it's also a part of us that we can override if we want to make the effort. RR drives this point home in its book, when it points out that are thoughts are not our actions. We may not control our thoughts, but we can control our actions. And it's a good idea to keep those two things separate if we want to change.

There is a wonderful part of the script in the movie, Batman Begins. I can't believe I'm quoting Hollywood, but once in a great while they profoundly nail something. Batman's alter ego, Bruce Wayne is acting like a jerk when his love interest turns up and is openly disgusted by him. He chases after her, and tries to defend himself by saying, "Underneath, I'm not that person." She says, "People don't know who you are underneath. You are defined by your actions." I was blown away by that line. Our thoughts, good intentions, bad intentions are NOT our behaviors. Our behaviors define us to others, and if we are paying attention, they also define us to ourselves. We can control how we behave, so we control who we want to be.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:48 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

As a tool I have found it work well. There of course is not a literal "beast" separate from "you" that lives in your head but in practical terms it works as though there is. AVRT has worked well for me.