View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post

Originally Posted by unentschieden View Post
I know now what he means when he says that if you truly subscribe to AVRT you will find it IMPOSSIBLE to drink alcohol. At first that sounded nutty.
The Big Plan is either on, or not yet connected. It can't be turned off. It's not a switch. It's a permanently wired circuit. It doesn't need a lot of power/effort. It's just there.
This sounds correct, and Trimpey once compared AVRT to removing the firing pin from a gun, so that it can no longer work. The implication being that with AVRT in place, drinking or using is no longer possible.

Originally Posted by Jack Trimpey

AVRT distinguishes between the proximal cause of addiction, the Addictive Voice, and the distal causes, which are always incorporated into the Addictive Voice. The epidemiology and etiology of addiction are moot points, because we are only concerned with the proximal cause of drinking, the Addictive Voice, i.e., the Beast... In AVRT, these distal "causes" of addiction are recognized as "explanations" or "reasons" for why, why, why people drink or use drugs, and, I hope, assigned to the scrap heap we call "the Addictive Voice."

An analogy could be drawn from someone shooting a gun. There may be many "reasons" or "explanations" on why the person shot the gun (distal causes), but the proximal cause for the bullet flying over the hill is that the firing pin struck the powder, resulting in an explosion that sent the bullet flying. AVRT is akin to removing the firing pin from the gun so that no matter what distal causes exist... the drinking/drugging response will not occur. It's just not there.

Excerpt from the "Trimpey-Ellis Debate"
Journal of RR, Vol 7, #2, Iss. 38, Nov-Dec 1994
Copyright (©) Jack Trimpey
All Rights Reserved