Class of May 2024 Support Thread Part 1

Old 05-06-2024, 02:00 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 581.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:17 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Good morning everyone!

After several days of gorgeous weather I woke up to fog (as thick as pea soup, as we say in Norway). Doesn't matter to me, I've got sunshine on the inside. On November 6, precisely six months ago, I went to rehab, and I haven't had a drop of alcohol since.

I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:35 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your official 6 months Lixie

well done to Runner, RAL, Sal, 424, FF, Ddog, listae and Steely as well

D
Old 05-06-2024, 02:43 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Glad to join the Class of May. Day 8 begins alcohol-free today! It's another Day One for the weed, and frankly, yesterday was nearly a reset back to Day One on the booze, too. The use of weed over the weekend got my addictive voice rationalizing and making all manner of arguments trying to get me back to a couple glasses of wine, too.

I'm grateful that my higher power, God, the Universe intervened and helped me avoid that. Waking up to Day 8 fresh, clear and positive is SOOOOOOO much of a gift. Instead of waking up to regret, shame, another defeat, another admission of powerlessness.......

Here's to a sober May and the rest of it weed-free, too!

Old 05-06-2024, 02:45 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FiveTries View Post
Hello May group,
Congrats on everyone's sober time. I wanted to make a pledge to stay sober this month since it's the first. I'm enjoying the journey a lot and have 485 days since my last drink. Even still, little thoughts creep in like 5 minutes ago when I dreamt for a minute about celebrating Cinco de mayo with margaritas. The thought was dismissed quickly but it's still surprising that it popped up in the first place. I want to make sure I'm staying on track and not letting alcohol sneak up on me.

right on, FiveTries!! Congratulations! Yeah, 485 and the thoughts still arise. So crazy, innit? Well done you, dismissing that thought and moving on.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:49 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by listae View Post
In for May with all of you too!

Day #79

The thought of drinking is a lot less but not gone. I still have to remain vigilant. 79 days sober feels great; so many improvements in my life in such a short time. But, for someone (me) that drank heavily every day for 27 years, 79 days doesn't give me the go ahead and "drink in moderation."
Yeah.... I had about 6.5 years solid.... then I went back to a puff of weed here or there.... which led to daily use pretty quickly... which led to 'drink in moderation'.... which led to going on 4 years of back-and-forthing between sobriety and attempts at moderation that worked only moderately and have honestly been far more trouble than good. Keep at it!! All it takes is one day giving in to the thought, entertaining the maybe I could moderate.... and sooner or later it's a trap again.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:51 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
Morning all.
Still here. Not drinking. Reading all the time but not posting much. Juts feeling a bit on edge and nervous spilling my soul out here atm. But I'm sober and that's the main thing.

Congrats to everyone on another sober day
Hey RAL.... glad ya here! Nervousness at sharing is understandable, but I hope you'll edge away at it, bit by bit. In my experience the sharing is one of the most helpful things!

Old 05-06-2024, 02:54 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 424~~ALive View Post
I am starting to go quiet, even at home I am starting to seclude myself a little bit, and I feel I need to start interacting a little bit more. I am strong in my quit right now and I am just finishing up 118 days sober but I am in a strange place with 'me'. I just saw the new weekenders thread and the topic is about not really knowing who we are and getting to know ourselves after we become sober and how we are not really sure how to do it.
118 days rocks!! Way to go!!

Yeah, the getting to who we are is a journey and - whether this helps or not - is a lifelong one! So, just about the time we think we've arrived there, we find new layers.

I've found it helpful having community, guides, in-person reflection with a talented counselor, journaling, reading all to be really helpful activities and supports in this.

Going quiet and secluding can be reflective, or it can be isolating. For me, when it's been the isolating, it's been a tendency to lead me back to alcohol.

Do you have a friend or two you can connect and share with?

Old 05-06-2024, 02:56 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
RAL

Thanks Freeowl, great to see you back. I'm on day 8 too
Old 05-06-2024, 02:59 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
Day 181, and all is well.
way to go, Lixie!!!
Old 05-06-2024, 03:02 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by listae View Post
Sunday evening here in Los Angeles, California. It's a beautiful spring day. Spent most of the day walking, walking, walking. Slowly but surely. So, far day 83 is simple and sober. I'm not giving up.

Nice to read everyone's posts. Lixie, if I haven't already, congrats on six months. That is an amazing milestone.

Great to hear how everyone is staying sober, if for a 24 hours or 24 hours more to the number of days you already have.

A pearl of wisdom that I took from an AA meeting last night is: "a relapse doesn't just happen."

" A relapse is planned way in advance before you pick up. A relapse is a faulty mindset."

This was helpful for me to hear because I think I'm trying to give myself an out so that I can go back to drinking. Now that I'm nearing 90 days (which is a miracle for me), I keep thinking about drinking. I'm not acting on that thought. But I'm being honest that it is there.

Of course, I CAN'T DRINK. I went too far in and was in late stage alcoholism. I can't have even one. And if I don't have one, then I won't go back to active alcoholism,

I CAN'T HAVE EVEN ONE.
What helped me a lot over the years was staying away from "I CAN'T" and catching myself each time to correct it.... "I DON'T WANT TO HAVE EVEN ONE!" "I don't WANT to drink" is far more powerful than "I CAN'T".

Anyway.... congratulations and keep at it!
Old 05-06-2024, 03:04 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ral View Post
thanks freeowl, great to see you back. I'm on day 8 too
let's do this!!!

Old 05-06-2024, 03:21 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Day two for me and I feel great!
Old 05-06-2024, 03:34 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Day 15 for me. Congratulations everyone.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:47 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Feel kinda bla. Woke up this morning in good spirits and was motivated to make it a good day. But as the day went on, depression set in. Were I to drink, tomorrow would be much worse though. Just want my meds and sleep, but it's 3pm so way too early. I'll try and hold off til 8pm.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:59 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Ended up taking my night meds at 5pm. Hope sleep comes soon. :/

Old 05-06-2024, 09:04 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Day one for me
Old 05-06-2024, 09:30 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

I Don’t Want Even One Drink

Thanks to FreeOwl for this pearl of wisdom!

Yes, it’s not that I can’t but I don’t want even one drink.

I don’t want even one drink.

I don’t want even one drink.

No, I don’t!
Old 05-06-2024, 09:40 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Welcome FreeOwl, Hopeful, Volshen and Walnut.
Welcome back RAL - glad you came back and didn't stay away
Hello FF and Listae - you're doing well
Day 196 in the bag.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:10 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!

We had a nice weekend and seriously good food for cinco de mayo. Back to the mom grind today 😝

I think I’m on day 83 maybe 84.

Have a great day everyone!