Notices

Class of May 2024 Support Thread Part 1

Old 05-07-2024, 08:18 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LazaB View Post
20 days sober for me today , not exited at all , because last year i went 6 months and 20 days without a drop of alcohol and my PAWS symptoms ( mainly anxiety ) didn't get better at all , the only reason i'm sober is because drinking leads me to hell every time , but there is no guarantee that it's gonna get better than this.

Like DD, it took me close to a year. I know that can seem so discouraging when some folks hear that, but we are all different. When things did improve--they MAJORLY improved.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:21 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Thanks RAL.

Day 7 off alcohol. One week. Feel pretty good. Seeing my probation officer tomorrow week so will be 15 days sober by then. Merchants Quay said they'd ring this week to check in. Addiction counselling on Monday. AA tonight.

It's just after 4am so not the worst time to get up. I could have gone back to sleep but my nightmare was really disturbing I'll spare you the details.

Going to do some maths now. I think my mathematical maturity is improving becàuse I went back to the beginning of my Calcùlus textbook and the questions are less intimidating than they were when I got the book in February. I'm making great progress with the Linear Algebra book. The Abstract Algebra book is still scary but all in due time. I wish I didn't drop 90 quid on it before I was ready for it though lol.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:32 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Congrats to everyone that logged another day sober.

I am checking in super late and am just about to wrap up day 55. My wife has been out of town for work this week so it’s just been me taking care of the home stuff and getting the kids to and from all their events. I am exhausted and stressed but am also grateful to be sober. If I were drinking this week would be hell in a hand basket but sober me can handle so much more.

Have a great rest of your day all. I am in for 24 more sober hours with you call. ODAAT.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:15 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Awesome job BD. Killing it!
Old 05-07-2024, 09:57 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Great stuff Freedom.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:59 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Congratulations BassetDog.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:13 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

It's probably a good thing I tried to set my card on fire during the last blackout and didn't replace it yet. I can still use it online and having to go to the bank is a little obstacle to self destruction.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:33 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 308 ODAAT
Old 05-07-2024, 11:10 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Laza, I am going to write something for you today, but I need to get some stuff done before I can sit down. Hang in there!
Old 05-07-2024, 11:10 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
RAL

Great advice DD.

Laza-it really does get better. No one would stay sober if it didn't.

Great sob BD with the junior BDs

Congrats on 1 week off alcohol FF.

Day 10 for me. Busy day ahead which is good. I never understood the ODAAT -not really. I mean do you drink tomorrow? Are you living in a perpetual cycle of knife edge oh I'll have one tomorrow. I used to read AVRT/RR and it was about the forever etc, won't go into that now. But after much soul searching I see that I stop drinking but then think of x.y, z I have in the future and think oh I'll probably drink then so I might as well drink now. That doesn't work for me, obviously. So now I am just focusing on today.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:13 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Oh, and good morning to everyone!

I have stopped counting days, and am keeping track of my months sober instead. Life has improved immensely this past week and I feel great. Going to write something about this later.

Have a great day!
Old 05-07-2024, 11:43 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
So long old habits

So I was going to go to AA tonight but my partner is really angry the real estate let themselves in when we were at work (with my permission) to replace the faulty smoke detectors. He is now storming around getting drunk and refuses to give me MY car keys. He keeps saying it's my excuse to go meet up with someone else for sex. I am not sure if I should walk to the meeting which starts in an hour and 45 minutes walk away. My partner would likely get more angry and escalate things. I need to go through. The only other meetings near me are lunch time meetings or sponsored/ closed meetings and I can't get to any of them. I was hoping to get a short term sponsor tonight so I can go to other meetings. I might have to wait until next week.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:28 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

FF!!! I am so very proud of you. This is the healthiest I have seen of you in a long, long time. Keep up the work......it's working!!!
Old 05-08-2024, 12:52 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
So long old habits

Got to the AA meeting and there are lots of new people
Old 05-08-2024, 01:48 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 583.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:52 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got there Sarah - and the smoke detector thing is not only a legal requirement but something for your safety so I hope your bf will calm down about it.

D
Old 05-08-2024, 01:59 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week AF FF.
Congrats to BD, RAL, Runner, Ddog Lixie Steely and everyone celebrating a day in recovery today

D
Old 05-08-2024, 02:57 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
So long old habits

So there is a woman's only AA on tomorrow night and I have been invited. Hopefully my partner lets me go.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:21 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
RAL

Sarah you dont need his permission. You are an adult. Sounds like an abusive relationship if that is the case.

.soneone will have link to womens aid in Australia if you need them for support or to leave him if you are unable to leave him without support
Old 05-08-2024, 03:23 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahRoseCairns View Post
So there is a woman's only AA on tomorrow night and I have been invited. Hopefully my partner lets me go.
Just my perspective here, Sarah.... but in my view if you find yourself in a partnership where you have to say things like "Hopefully my partner lets me go" - you're not in a partnership. Nor is the person you're referring to a partner.

I hope you'll go to that meeting and make it clear to your 'partner' that he doesn't get to determine the pathways or priorities of your self care and recovery.