Notices

The Paradox of Embracing Total Abstinence

Old 04-16-2023, 11:18 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
...and it doesn't depend on other people.

Happiness (and sobriety) is an Inside Job.

No one can do it for me.

"God, help me to fully understand that my problems are all of my own making. Therefore, so are the solutions."

~quoted from...somewhere.
Love, love. love. I cried for days when I figured this out but realizing I had given away all my power was the first step in getting it back.

​​​​​​https://wanderlust.com/journal/the-t...ain-suffering/
Old 04-16-2023, 03:59 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

The idea of total and complete abstinence from alcohol for the rest of my life is becoming easier to accept as I inch towards 1 year of sobriety. The thought of drinking after all of this money that Ive spent on recovery, the buckets of tears, the agony of accepting I destroyed my life and everyone I loved, brings me to my knees. I'm just barely getting to taste the joys of living the sober life and I'm doing my best to protect it.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:49 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Farrier View Post
The idea of total and complete abstinence from alcohol for the rest of my life is becoming easier to accept as I inch towards 1 year of sobriety. The thought of drinking after all of this money that Ive spent on recovery, the buckets of tears, the agony of accepting I destroyed my life and everyone I loved, brings me to my knees. I'm just barely getting to taste the joys of living the sober life and I'm doing my best to protect it.
That's the way to do it. Eventually, you may go beyond accepting. It is not a burden or a sacrifice. It's more like a relief or a gift, and you will experience gratitude that you have made it a life choice.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Driguy, wonderful OP, and outstanding replies.

Yep.

Never now……for ANY reason. Ever.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Very insightful OP and thread.

Looking back, fully believing that moderation was doomed was they key that unlocked the prison. But it took 20 years and the gift of despration to get it, perhaps because it was so counteriniutuive. Alcohol was the most important thing in my life apart from my family, and when the misery it caused became unbearable I had to make the choice.

When I was 30 I thought it impossible to live without drinking alcohol - now 60, and 27 years free of it, I know the reverse to be true.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:52 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
It blows my mind to hear that in this day and age, any so-called "professional" can possibly recommend tapering as a sound method for quitting drinking when to do so betrays a total ignorance of what addiction is.

Would they tell compulsive gamblers to gradually cut down on the amount they bet or the number of bets they make? SMH...
Tapering is what I did to recover after a long binge… I convinced myself many times that I had to keep drinking to avoid *dying* … then the cycle would continue. Granted I wasn’t seeing a doctor or therapist then, either. There’s a good reason for medical taper, but mostly I used this knowledge to convince myself that my continued drinking was rational.

Originally Posted by Radix View Post
"Would they tell compulsive gamblers to gradually cut down on the amount they bet or the number of bets they make?"

This is great.

I also agree that abstinence is easier than moderation.

In my own experience, to be perfectly honest, when I thought about how nice it would be to "moderate" my drinking, what I really meant was how nice it would be to keep drinking to the same point of drunkenness only without the negative consequences. ...and of course that's why it never worked.
Oh, same. I liked the *idea* of drinking moderately, but in practice I found it to be torturous. 1-2 drinks would just make me feel lethargic and give me a headache (followed by anxiety)… so I’d drink more to relieve the negative effects of the mild poison with the anesthetizing effects of more poison.

Originally Posted by NessunDorma View Post
Very insightful OP and thread.

Looking back, fully believing that moderation was doomed was they key that unlocked the prison. But it took 20 years and the gift of despration to get it, perhaps because it was so counteriniutuive. Alcohol was the most important thing in my life apart from my family, and when the misery it caused became unbearable I had to make the choice.

When I was 30 I thought it impossible to live without drinking alcohol - now 60, and 27 years free of it, I know the reverse to be true.
I hear that. The obsession with alcohol. Romanticized, wrapped up in my identity — it’s hard to reconcile now that I’m 2+ years sober. Now there’s no part of me that misses it. I’ve long since discovers that even the “positives” were mostly an illusion. I thought I’d never have fun again… but the opposite has been true in my life. I’m happier/healthier now than I ever was, and I’m still me… unburdened by the pain of anxious hangovers, withdrawals, headaches, brain fog, addiction and lies. Thank God for that.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:07 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Great post DriGuy.

I think there’s another way to look at it. Maybe the peak of the mountain is. It sobriety, but an alcohol free life.

Total abstinence is the first and necessary step, and if one can really set their mind to it the simplest (took me 6 years to set my mind to that, so it s simple but not easy).

It’s then about rediscovering or reinventing ourselves, which takes time and is often more complicated.

Either way I agree total abstinence the only choice. I don’t know anyone who has been able to moderate. Ever.