Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

New Year…New Road ~ Weekenders 30 December 2022 - 02 January 2023

Notices

Old 12-28-2022, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Is it possible to start over?

Every year I would make new year resolutions only to break them within days (especially the one about cutting down my alcohol intake).

It was a difficult thought that I couldn’t drink without getting blotto. The alcohol seemed to have taken over my life and become a driving force I couldn’t resist.

How did I get control over my life again?

I did just a day at a time, alcohol free, to start with.

Then the days became weeks, months and so on.

It was and is the best thing I did for myself. I say this many times throughout the days, weeks, months and years I’ve been sober.

This road less travelled has bumps in the road occasionally but if you stick with it, learn the pitfalls, following in the footsteps of those who are travelling, all at different parts of the road, you’ll find a life after booze on this new road..new direction.

I will be here along with many others, all of us ex drunks and alcoholics. We are your scouts and can tell you what is on the trail ahead so you can be ready for any obstacles. I can tell you to come on! It is rocky and slippery but if you focus on where you place each step, you will have no trouble getting to where I am on the trail.

All of us can tell you where the potholes are, bumps in the road, and the slippery places, but we can't walk your path for you. We can only take joy as you succeed, and cheer, one and all!

Old 12-28-2022, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Thanks, Mags!

Shotgun!!! In for a sober NEW YEAR!!!!
Old 12-28-2022, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on shotgun ToughChoices
Old 12-28-2022, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too am in for a sober weekend. Congrats on shotgun TC.

I too agree that stopping drinking was the best thing I've ever done for myself. . My life is so much better now, a lot simpler. . No worries about doing or saying anything untoward. Now, when I speak, I tell the truth.

Sobriety rocks!
Old 12-28-2022, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Least.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hi Mags! Are you getting settled in to your new place? I imagine it's a little confusing, not having everything put way, and having to go thru and unpack boxes.

I want to go to bed soon but have to wait until Billie goes potty so I know she won't pee on the floor during the night or tomorrow morning.

I am so tired from being up since 2 am today. I hope Billie does her thing soon so we can go to bed.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags

D
Old 12-28-2022, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Least hope you have a good nights sleep. I am getting used to the new place. We’ve been here a week now. Lots of boxes still to unpack. Remind me never to move at Christmas time.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. How are you feeling today?

Yikes another year nearly over. I'm trying to think of a positive slant to put on my post but it doesn't come naturally. This year I have gained weight and wrinkles, lost hair ( it's getting thinner ). Thankfully I am still sober and still able to do my walking .
Old 12-28-2022, 09:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started a new thread about a good WaPo article about Dry January and those who participate in it. Said the participants often stayed sober, or drank a lot less, after January was over. Take a look. It's interesting.

Mags, I know how you feel about boxes and unpacking... I'm still doing it cause I still have a lot of boxes that need to be unpacked and put away.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily. I know how you feel. I’ve visibly more grey hairs. I’m better than I was thanks. Think I’ve turned a corner. Thankfully.

Least I’m not surprised you still have boxes to unpack. You’ve been poorly and in and out of hospital this year. I hope 2023 is a better one for your health.
Old 12-28-2022, 11:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello all! Great new thread, thanks Mags. End of Day 410. Good night from rainy Seattle.
Old 12-29-2022, 01:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

woof

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2912.jpg (23.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 12-29-2022, 01:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

^^^. "woof" right back atcha Roxy!

Went to bed early and fell asleep easily but woke up just now with really bad. pain in my feet. . My shrink phone appt is today and I'm going to ask her to please recommend that my doctor put me on Cymbalta to see if it stops the nerve pain. I am desperate.

Going back to bed soon to try falling asleep again.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm IN for a sober weekend!

I hope everyone has a peaceful New Year and that 2023 brings good luck and good health.

Mags, I moved to where I'm living back in 2003. I unpacked the last unopened box just last year! Admittedly it contained a collection of cups that I never used (I used to collect cups from all over the world) but it's amazing how many people will move and often will leave something unpacked for years. I decided to unpack them simply to get rid of them as they were just taking up space and I had nowhere to put them to display them.

Perhaps decluttering my house should be my New Year Resolution. I keep starting to do it but then give up after a while as I often can't bring myself to throw things away "just in case I need them"...

Take care everyone
Old 12-29-2022, 04:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

Robbie, I tend to keep things in case they come in handy. they don’t usually though.
Old 12-29-2022, 04:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mags and Least, I totally understand about boxes. I have been living with them for over a year now. Hopefully, now that we have bought a house I can slowly bring them over to the house. Oh and Mags, don't forget...Next time you move don't do it at Christmas.

In for a sober weekend, I am thinking we will be raking up the leaves since it is supposed to be relatively warm then maybe start to paint the ceilings to freshen it up. The previous homeowner left the house plans for us so we were looking at them, I was looking at them upside-down while Mr. A was looking at them right side up. I was able to fully understand them and it made me think, during my drinking times there would be no way in heck I would be able to figure it out.
Old 12-29-2022, 04:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags and friends!

You guys might remember this from before, but I think this map is so cool….it shows all the world time zones with a live countdown for many of the major cities….just click on or hover over the red dots to see the current status for each one!

https://www.timeanddate.com/counters/newyearmap.html

Old 12-29-2022, 04:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, In for this weekend. Tomorrow will be the first day I'll leave the house since my procedure. My head has been quite sore for a few days and I contacted the doctor but he said it's natural
and should ease up.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mags, agreed as to putting down my koozie being the single best thing I've ever done for myself.

Reid, I hope the soreness eases off.