Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

BAH HUMBUG! ‘‘Tis the season of - Weekenders 02 - 05 December 2022

Notices

Old 11-30-2022, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bah Humbug! Christmas is just around the corner.

We can very much feel Bah Humbug with the pressures of Christmas time.

Is it time to take stock, just like Scrooge did? Though we know Scrooge was fictional, it has parallels I recognise.

Scrooge was visited by his deceased business partner Jacob Marley who was a chained and tormented ghost, doomed to wander the earth forever as punishment for his greed and selfishness when he was alive.

I can relate to Scrooge, not for greed of money but the greed of alcohol I once had. Could I really have changed my ways and did I want to?

A visit from Ghost of Christmas past showed Scrooge how he behaved in Christmas’s past, so much so he lost his fiancée because of his greed.

I don’t want reminders of how I behaved but if I’d had the Ghost of Christmas Past visit, would I have changed my ways immediately?

Scrooge was then visited by the Ghost of Christmas Present and what was happening around him and told his poor employee’s son Tiny Tim would surely die unless the future changes.

Does our actions affect some people? It seems they can and do.

Finally, Scrooge has a visit from the Ghost Of Christmas yet to Come. It shows him Tiny Tim has died and Scrooge too, dies.

When Scrooge wakes up on Christmas morning he turns his life around. Buying the biggest turkey and sending it to Bob Cratchit.

This Christmas let’s take the special precious present for ourselves and nurture it, because without us, nothing else falls into place. We are the most important person for our own wellbeing.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)

Old 11-30-2022, 07:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mags

D
Old 11-30-2022, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Shotgun!

Might go to bed early tonight as I've got my wound care appt tomorrow afternoon.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning Mags and the Weekenders.

I’ve been a little quiet posting wise, but will happily join for another sober weekend.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on shotgun Least. Sleep well love

Good to see you CaptainHaddock
Old 11-30-2022, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome opening, Mags! We are indeed too precious to waste time on a dangerous chemical. End of Day 382 - good night from snowy Seattle.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, great post. I am 100% in for a sober weekend.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

My Dad is the original scrooge. Recently found out he is even getting his water from an outside tap so he doesn't have to pay for it. Yet he is always talking about how much money he has. This year he has decided he is not buying anything for his grandchildren either

I'm a bah humbug, Christmas is not fun on your own or with my Dad going on about money all the time.

Hey Captain. I missed you
Old 11-30-2022, 09:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Snow in Seattle. Bet it looks pretty over the water. Goodnight calmself

Hi BritBird.

Hi Kaily, I wonder if your dad is getting his water outside to feels he’s beat the system, even at a inconvenience to himself. Can’t be easy for him. and hard for you too. I was my worst enemy too once.

When I lived on my own I remember one year I decided I was going nowhere Christmas Day. I cabined up with my cat at the time , ate junk food and watched tv. No pressure from family and friends. Just nice.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'll just spend the day with ck and son in law on Christmas Day or thereabouts.

Kaily, that is strange about your dad getting his water from outside to save money. My mom was the same way. Had a lot more money than she let on but scrimped and saved constantly.

Well, it's my bedtime so nighty night weekenders.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yesterday morning was weird. I had this "off" feeling. It more than likely was due to it being miserable outside and I had a lot going on in my head. I felt really tired yesterday even though I got some great sleep. Had to push past it and keep going. It ended up being one of the best days I've had so far there.

I had individual therapy and we focused on staying in the present and I'll have days that are just like yesterday morning. We also had a good talk about my gf and her being to clingy. She and my therapist have an open line of communication(I gave approval). We talked it through and are good now.

up and getting ready for work. I put in 9.4 miles at work yesterday, time to do it all over again today.

I have group therapy this afternoon and then going out to eat with my dad at a thai place. Sleep has been amazing.

Old 12-01-2022, 01:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags and friends

I’ve been called “Scrooge” before….not into much decorating for the holidays (but I finally got my little tree!) And I have started Christmas shopping months in advance, but only because I want to get it over with instead of stressing until the last minute….I do like the emojis!
Old 12-01-2022, 02:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Count me in for a sober weekend. I've been extremely busy lately and struggle to squeeze in time to properly post on SR, so I could use a quiet sober weekend.

I start a new job today, which is the first major step in what is going to be a major career change for me. I also have four years of graduate school to get through. I am coming up on 10 months sober and there's no way I would be at this point if I was still drinking. Feeling very grateful today.

Have a great Thursday everyone.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

In for a sober weekend. Day 60. Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts, experiences and daily ups and downs. Best wishes to all for continued sobriety and happiness.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Flying solo..well, not including being with my MIL. Mr. A is heading back out of town for work and will be gone for a week. No drinking for me.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations mns1

D
Old 12-01-2022, 06:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
Congratulations to everyone with milestones today, and congratulations on the new job, mns1.
Glad to hear things are better with your gf, AthensDawgs.

I am not a huge fan of the holiday season, but I do enough so that I'm not considered a scrooge. I feel like it's so commercialized and puts too much pressure on people to make it perfect and magical and over-the-top. I am good at picking out and giving gifts, that is my favorite part. I decorate a minimal amount. I put up and decorate a tree, and hang a wreath on my front door. I used to decorate a lot, but I just can't be bothered now that I live alone. I wouldn't even bother with the tree, but I have heaps of lovely ornaments that have sentimental value, and I like gazing at a lighted tree when it's dark and cold and snowy outside.

I'm starting to get very excited for my daughter to come home from college in New Jersey for almost two weeks! 22 days now before she arrives. That will be the best thing to happen this winter. I have some fun things planned for us to do. She will want down time, too. So I'll have to take it easy on her if I can. She's doing very well in school, loving living with her friends in Jersey City, going into NYC for fun activities, and basically being a young woman on her own. She's finally got her diagnosis for ADHD, and is on medication, which I can tell is helping her a ton. Grateful for all of this, and more.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags for your excellent opening post. I'm IN for another sober weekend.

This weekend will be my 14th consecutive sober weekend and today marks 3 months of sobriety for me. It's been 3 months of ups and downs, especially health wise, but one constant throughout is that I've been sober throughout it all. I'm in a much better place because of it.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Three months is wonderful, Robbie! Congratulations!!! ❤️❤️❤️
Old 12-01-2022, 08:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good work on 3 months Robbie.

Congratulations on your new job mns, and 10 months

Marty it’ll be great to have your daughter home for the holidays.

Alpine I hope you can have a smooth time while Mr. A is away at work.

It’s funny really how when we drank we turned to it like it was our best friend. Went to it when things were tough. And went to it when things were good. Really glad it’s possible to ‘break the mould’.

I borrowed a pic Alpine put on a thread a while back. I thought it was so powerful.