Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Trick Or Treat this Weekend? - Weekenders 28 - 31 October 2022

Notices

Trick Or Treat this Weekend? - Weekenders 28 - 31 October 2022

Old 10-29-2022, 08:01 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Magsie

RunnerF, I hope with sober time your liver can repair itself. I’ve read it’s very resilient and capable of regenerating itself.

Alpine, yes frustrating sometimes but thankfully being sober helps me handle it better.

Old 10-29-2022, 08:04 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Welcome, RunnerF!
Old 10-29-2022, 08:06 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Welcome to Weekenders, RunnerF.

I am not a medical professional but I suspect that 26 days may be an insufficient period of time for measuring a change in liver values. Stick with the advice from your doctor and with sobriety; there is a good chance that you will see a positive response from your liver.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:07 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags and Alpine! RunnerF, as Mags says the liver has a great regeneration capability. Please do not drink anymore and consult your doctor. I took Milk Thistle supplements and I saw it generally reduced my cravings as well.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:40 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

RunnerF, I drank a lot and stopped almost 13 yrs ago and within a year my liver values were what they are supposed to be. Give it time. Don't drink and eat a good diet and exercise a bit. It will all work itself out.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:55 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I used to take milk thistle as well. Actually I had completely forgotten about it so I must buy some more.

I remember being at work one day and I was trying not to eavesdrop but 2 consultants were talking loudly so it was hard not to overhear. My head went up and my ears opened when I overheard one say to the other that "the liver is a very forgiving organ - most of the time". Makes sense I suppose. I do kind of wish doctors would either lower their voices or make private conversations in a private office. Another time I was packing up to go home and I heard a doctor say to someone on the phone that "if you don't stop smoking I have to tell you that you are going to lose the leg". However I was the last person to leave that day so maybe he couldn't see me in my cubicle.

I've been looking at Netflix for a "spooky" film to watch. I was hoping for something 'cartoon-y' like 'Wallace and Gromit- The Curse of the Wer-Rabbit'. Thats mostly a kids film I know and myself and my brother and even my dad think those cartoons are extremely well made and very very funny. The dialogue is spot on. Unfortunately Netflix do not have it here and I'm in in the mood for something slightly spooky but I do not want to watch anything involving slashers or serial killers. I had enough trouble trying to get to sleep last night.
My friend texted this morning to say he was gping shopping and did i want anything? That was nice of him as it was pouring rain and I do not have a car - he does. I just asked for a sandwich, a couple of pieces of fruit and some juice. He arrived in with 2 boxes of tangerines, a box of grapes, a chicken sandwich and another box with 27 boxes of smallish cartons of mango juice. I was astonished and asked if he wanted to take some juice away? He said "no, I bought it for you". It was thoughtful of him. I guess I could bring some to work or something as I'm trying not to drink coffee now. It doesn't suit me anymore. The fruit I will pick at tonight when I'll probably end up watching Strictly Come Dancing on the BBC as its Halloween theme tonight. I'm trying to stay away from things like crisps, Pringles, salted nuts etc since I got the news about my cholesterol. I could go through three quarters of a tube of Pringles with a pint of milk on my own with no trouble.

In other news I see Ireland beat England in the cricket during the week which made me smile. I didn't even know Ireland had a cricket team. There's hope for us all so!
​​week.

Happy Halloween! Thankfully we have an extra day off here because of the Halloween bank holiday. Take care all,

Tetra
Old 10-29-2022, 09:31 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Waaaazzzz-up Weekenders. Happy all Hollows Eve Spectular Poloza Of Wellness.

to SR RunnerF! Fight the Beast! Like me!

Cut/Paste Pixlr X PCU image by Zencat
Old 10-29-2022, 10:34 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Super late to the party but count me in for a sober Halloween weekend.

Hope everyone has a great sober Saturday.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:38 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I just went out in the rain for a newspaper.

Unfortunately there's an article in this one entitled "Toll of Friends star Matthew Perry's drink and drug battles". I knew he had major problems but I had no idea how serious they were - like mine I suppose. We have no clue really how much others are suffering.

I know he has a book coming out, and I had planned to buy it, but I don't think I will now. This article has upset me so much, i think I'll have to pass on the book.

There's another article in the sports section of another paper involving an Irish sports player where he has a book out also reflecting on "the years of alcohol abuse, the depression, the loss of his marriage and hiw he fought back and survived". Another one to avoid i think.

I don't know why these articles are upsetting me a lot these days. I have read Caroline Knapp's Drinking: A love story several times. Anytime i needed a a kick up the "bum" so to speak, that was the book I returned to, time and time again. Unfortunately I left my copy of it at my parents house and I haven't been back there for a while. I could do with it right now.

Anyway, onwards and upwards like Irelands cricketers, for all of us!
Old 10-29-2022, 01:25 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
kes

Hi guys,

Re:Halloween,

I'm catholic and never understood why people celebrate it? I don't.

As kids, I went to a catholic school and we weren't allowed to. My mother was anti Halloween.

I'm curious, Have I missed something?
Old 10-29-2022, 01:32 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fellow Catholic. It’s an excuse for kids to have fun dressing up and get free candy. Doesn’t bother me

welcome RunnerF

you might find the book in your local library Tetra? I did
D
Old 10-29-2022, 01:36 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I suppose it depends on where you were born and raised. We always celebrated Halloween but in a different way as I'm a born and raised Irish Catholic, although i do not go to mass every week anymore. Sometimes i do when i feel like it. Halloween is a Scots and Irish/Celtic/pre-Christian tradition i.e. the Jack O'Lantern was carved out of a turnip, not a pumpkin, etc. etc. Things like that.
Old 10-29-2022, 02:02 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your support and kind words. I know what needs to be done now just have to do it. Just not drink now.
Old 10-29-2022, 02:15 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

How to handle Halloween party weekend?
By Sobrly
. Write a list of how scary Mary it is to wake up after the chaos and with the absolute “beer fear” … nothing scarier than waking up wondering “what did I do?”
. Text a sober buddy and ask what their plans are, safety in numbers is a spooktastic way of having some quality sober fun!
. Get to a meeting, in person or online, you can Google sober meetings near me or use the AA or NA app and type in your postcode
. Watch a spooky film, eat loads of ridiculously calorific Halloween treats, and enjoy being on your sofa and scaring yourself silly!
. Take your car to the party … enjoy watching others get hairy and then zombied and drive them home safely and be the hero!
.dance and have fun anyway and wear a costume so no one knows who you are!
Old 10-29-2022, 02:30 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kes View Post
Hi guys,

Re:Halloween,

I'm catholic and never understood why people celebrate it? I don't.

As kids, I went to a catholic school and we weren't allowed to. My mother was anti Halloween.

I'm curious, Have I missed something?
Holloween was celebrated at my house and surrounding neighborhood. I was raised, Sothern Baptist Christian. My church had a Halloween party. I remember bobbing for apples one time there as a small kid.
Holloween was a time to dress up in a costume, go house to house, and amas a huge horde of candy.
In Michigan US, the night before Holloween was Devil's Night. We would throw eggs at houses and TP the trees. I would use perfin wax and smear it all over the front windows of people's homes. Very very very hard to remove.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:57 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

End of Day 350 - can't believe I have been 50 weeks sober. Good things have happened and I face the world with so much confidence. Alcohol is no good for anyone - it's just an addictive substance that wreaks havoc on both the addict and their loved ones sooner or later.

Good night from Seattle.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:42 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Morning All,

A sober Sunday to enjoy once again. What a blessing! Thank you Mags for the thread.

Last night I found a local coffee shack by the sea that is open late and visited it at dusk. There was something magical in relaxing, staring out into the bay and enjoying a hot Americano. All only possible in sobriety!

Well done Calmself on your 350 days. It seems you are rightly proud! And not long now Kaily to the start of Year 5!

Warm wishes to all as always. Forwards.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:51 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Calmself, way to go!!! . Just about two weeks out from a year! Congrats!!
Old 10-30-2022, 12:11 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Congratulations on 50 weeks calmself Good work!

If anyone is like me when the clocks change. ConfusedDotCom!
I remember staying over at my friend’s house many years ago. No clocks changed themselves in those days. So when I got up for work next morning thought I’d be helpful and change her clocks for her before I went to work,. I worked in a petrol station and opened up too.
It wasn’t until a customer said you’re bright and early that I looked at the time, turned the radio on and realised I was an hour early. It was funny at the time and my friend and me still laugh at it.

Love to all Weekenders xxxx
Old 10-30-2022, 12:32 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wish they'd get rid of the clock change altogether. I like it being light later in the day.

Just took Billie out and she gave me a LW. . Pulled the doggie bag out of the container and wondered why it looked so long... because I had pulled it out past the perforated part. . Still got the poop picked up. . I wouldn't think to leave it lying on the ground, how rude.