Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Breezing through the storms ~ Weekenders 18 - 21 February 2022

Notices

Breezing through the storms ~ Weekenders 18 - 21 February 2022

Old 02-19-2022, 11:29 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Thank you all so very much. It means a lot to me. I'm just not good with dates. Thank you Courage, somewhere hopefully on the treads for thinking of me and remembering my sober versary. Love you all.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:36 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
Thank you all so very much. It means a lot to me. I'm just not good with dates. Thank you Courage, somewhere hopefully on the treads for thinking of me and remembering my sober versary. Love you all.
If you ever forget the date again you've got it in your profile which you can view by clicking on your user name and then choosing View Public Profile.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:36 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
I had my 4 year sober versary on 2/17. I'd forgotten it and my dear friend, Courage PM'd me to congratulate me. Even though I've been here about 8 years, I had a few stops and starts my first few years. Glad to have 4 years.
Congrats on 4 years!
Old 02-19-2022, 11:37 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Thank you, Reid and Robbie!
Old 02-19-2022, 12:26 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Congrats again on 4 years dear Aly!
Old 02-19-2022, 12:44 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Congratulations Aly! It is such an inspiration.
Old 02-19-2022, 12:53 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Aly, congrats again on your four sober years! Sending you love and hugs!
Old 02-19-2022, 12:56 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Congratulations Alysheba! I can't get over a person forgetting such an anniversary!
Robbie, thanks for the clip. That theme music brings me back. Trevor Mcdonut, oops, Sir Trevor Macdonald was my favourite. Such a gracious man.
Mesaman, amazing pic. Did you take it?
Hunkered down inside today because of high winds and serious blowing snow.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:19 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

^
Leshar, I take it you're from the UK originally? When did you move to Canada? One of my old school friends moved to Canada in the 1980s, to Nova Scotia. We kept in touch for a while but I've not heard from him since the early 90s. I've always wanted to visit Canada (more so than the USA) but my fear of flying put paid to that idea. My friend did say that there are a lot of people from the UK living there. I think as many Brits went to Canada as Australia in the 1950s and 1960s, it seems to have a large amount of ex-pats.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:31 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

congratulations 4yrs wow, I can only dream of that right now, but dreams sometimes come true fingers crossed, just fantastic well done 👍
Old 02-19-2022, 01:35 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It would be hard for me to choose between Canada and Australia, both are such nice countries...

Continuing to have a quiet Saturday with me and the critters. I gave Billie some fruit in her dish and she ate it before we went out. She loves her fruit. She must have smelled it cause as soon as we got in the kitchen, she made a beeline to her dish. She's got that beagle nose, after all, and can smell anything.

Old 02-19-2022, 01:39 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Very interesting article. 1703 was obviously before my time but I was living in London in 1987 when there was another Great Storm. It was a frightening experience as the winds were so incredibly strong and loud and I couldn't get to sleep because of the noise. Plus a nearby house was being renovated and was covered in tarpaulin which made the most incredible noise as the wind blew all night. Then there was a massive gust of wind at about 3am and the electricity in the whole of north and west London went off. The next morning, outside looked like a disaster zone. There were trees lying in the middle of the road and roof tiles were lying scattered all over the place. I made it into work to find out the office had windows blown out and a nearby caravan site was all but destroyed with caravans lying on their side. Because the storm happened during the night the loss of life was small. Had it happened a few hours later it is likely the death toll would have been much higher https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_storm_of_1987

(I still love that classic News At Ten theme music)
Robbie, a special thank you for the link to that news coverage of the 1987 event.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:59 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I finally got ambitious and vacuumed the den after I noticed that when Billie was rolling back and forth on her back, she'd get little bits of dust and dirt on her back. So I vacuumed the den and now the rug is clean and she can roll on it as much as she likes.

For my entertainment, I put five small fruitables treats in Billie's cloth bag. It didn't take her long to get them all out. She pawed at the bag and ate them all, one by one. Now she's inspecting the bag carefully in case there are more treats in there.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:41 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
It would be hard for me to choose between Canada and Australia, both are such nice countries...
From the end of World War II to about 1972 the British were encouraged to emigrate to Australia under the Assisted Passage Migration Scheme which allowed people to move there for what amounted to a week's wages https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Pound_Poms. I didn't realise as many as a million people emigrated during this time. There was no equivalent scheme for Canada but British people have been emigrating there for hundreds of years. I doubt as many as a million went to Canada but it was in the hundreds of thousands, probably at the lower end.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:07 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your well wishes! So much appreciated.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:13 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I think that a lot of non-English Europeans emigrated to South America during that time. Some later emigrated to the US. I'm certainly not an expert on it though.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:38 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Leshar ~

Thanks. Yes, I took that zoomed-out Pic from the Guest BR here this Morning. MesaPup went on a 10 Minute barking spree because ~10 Deer were in motion by the House. Several Bucks of that same size.

Emigration stories abound, and I find them all fascinating when I get a chance to dig into them. On Orkney Scotland [above the Mainland], we ducked into a wee Museum. Turns out there was a vigorous trade in assorted Products between the Scots up there, and Canadians around Hudson Bay Canada. Indeed, the lovely RV Site our rented Caravan was set up on was where a Cannery used to be. This Trade led to Canadian First Peoples Clothing and Art having Scottish influences. And, vice-versa. Bone carvings. Beads. Intermarriages, of course. Interesting new hybrid Bloodlines shown in old Pictures. You name it. All in the name of preserved Fish being shipped West and marketed in Canada with other Goods being sent back East to Scotland.

Down in the Bay, we picked up some perfect Scallop Shells. No dearth of them. The shape of the 'Shell Gasoline' logo. The size of your open Hand. We later scrubbed them clean, and use them for Sushi serving 'Plates'. Our kinda Trip Momentos...

Kirkwall Orkney Scotland Pictures

Old 02-19-2022, 03:54 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Over 8,000 dead in 1703. Wow.

I remember the 1987 storm very well. The thing about it was that it was not really forecast either. I remember making my way to work through quite devasted streets.

I'm glad you survived being swallowed by a bin Robbie.

Congratulations on 4 years Aly! A wonderful achievement.

Old 02-19-2022, 04:04 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 years Aly! So inspiring ❤️

Happy Sunday everyone
Old 02-19-2022, 04:07 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Robbie, yes, I was born and raised in N. Ireland. I came to Canada in 1989, when I was 31. Just turned 64. Work opportunity and I wanted to get away from "The Troubles", which were still a big problem then. I have dual citizenship. I'm very proud to be Canadian.
Thanks to you and Mesaman for the historical information! I would love to visit Australia. I'm afraid of flying, but I don't think I could cope with such a long journey. I love to visit Scotland, never been there. I've travelled throughout England and Wales. And Ireland of course.
Wow, Mesaman, what a view!
Least, I hope you take care, a few dust bunnies are ok, I'd say, rather than hurting yourself.