Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Breezing through the storms ~ Weekenders 18 - 21 February 2022

Notices

Breezing through the storms ~ Weekenders 18 - 21 February 2022

Old 02-17-2022, 07:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is The Grizzly Giant. About 2400 years old.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I love your tree metaphor and the great pics, Free. The redwoods and sequoias are some of my favorite places to hike and camp. Growing up in Norcal made it easy. There is such a sense of awe, which is nourishing to our souls.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for this new chapter Mags
My roots are getting deeper every day.
Nice trees pictures guys!

Have a good day Weekenders ☼
Old 02-17-2022, 09:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you, Mags. Sending love. 💗
Least, you are in my prayers. Praying that blood clot away. So glad you are getting things treated.
Have a great day all. Love and peace to all. ❣☮
Old 02-17-2022, 09:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In for another sober weekend!

Thanks Mags!

Congratulations on shotgun freedomfries!

Excellent tree photos, we really have nothing to compare with those here but we do have some ancient yew trees. My roots are not as long lived as that but at 7 and a bit years they are quite sturdy I think.

We have storms of a different sort gathering over Ukraine. I hope cool heads and common sense will prevail.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

We've been in Old Growth Redwoods - on The Highway Of The Giants - and just towed the RV Trailer through 2nd Gen Groves elsewhere. Quite the daunting experience. Trees were not cut out for current Roadway widths, so ya gotta stay alert to not sideswipe one. Yet another good time to be Sober with well-established Roots.

Back in less-environmental times, Redwood Forests were clear-cut and milled en masse. Then, floated down Rivers to Ships for haulage. Much of San Francisco was built out with this Lumber. Where Ships could not safely set Anchor in Bays, they were lashed to still-visible Rings embedded in Cliffs. Trees were hauled out on Suspension Cables to bobbing Ships. Dangerous work, to be sure. Storms. Fog. Zero Navigation Aids.

One huge Lumber Mill was at Albion California. Much of the Mill output consisted of rot-proof Redwood Railroad Ties that helped built out Mexican Railways. After it burned down twice, the long-vacant Mill was rehabbed into an RV Park we've stayed at repeatedly. About as kewl a setting as you could hope for. Barring any Tsunamis rolling in. The last Wooden Bridge on Coast Highway 1 runs at one end. Topographical limitations make the Beach accessible to only us Campers staying there.

There was a Causeway with little Railroad Cars out into the treacherous Bay to load out Redwood Products which can be seen in a 'Mill' Pic linked below. I was sitting on a massive Log in the Sand, and found a rusted Railroad Spike from that Causeway that became my Windowsill Momento from that Trip.

Thanks, Mags...

History Of Albion

Old 02-17-2022, 11:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm in.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I’m in for a sober weekend!

Great pics Free and Mesa ❤️

These rainforest trees have good strong roots. I’m working on strengthening my own to have a firm foundation to withstand the inevitable storms

Old 02-17-2022, 04:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags for the new thread. I'm in! I heard on a podcast that the majestic bison heads into a storm, doesn't run from it. Sort of a metaphor for embracing sobriety and uncomfortable change. Don't run, or avoid. I think they come together as a herd and press on. I think that's why connection with those on the same path is vital.
Having said that, seriously, irl I hope all are safely hunkered down from the impending storms.
Amazing tree Free! Thanks to all for the photos!

Old 02-17-2022, 04:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

the average age of the big redwoods in CA is 800-1500 years.
I am always in awe of things that are so old. What they have seen. What they have lived through.

I remember seeing the picture of the redwood that had a hole cut in the bottom big enough for a car to go through. I wonder if that tree is still standing? I just googled it and this came up.

The Chandelier Tree in Drive-Thru Tree Park is a 276-foot (84 m) tall coast redwood tree in Leggett, California with a 6-foot (1.8 m) wide by 6-foot-9-inch (2.06 m) high hole cut through its base to allow a car to drive through.

I googled "is the tree still standing that had a car sized hole in the bottom" and that came up so it must still be there.

Forgot to note, my roots are pretty deep and wide, I think they'll hold up to storms. They've held up to several so far.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

End of Day 96 for me. I realize I am not getting much anxiety these days despite the difficult work place and trying hard at interviews. Clearly, the anxiety and stress was caused by the alcohol itself.

Please do not negotiate with AV. It weakens a tiny bit everyday if you don't. Good night from Seattle!

Old 02-17-2022, 09:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Best wishes, all, for no great harms to come from Storm Eunice.

Stay safe.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Getting windy here.

least - your post brought back memories of seeing a drawing of a car driving through a tree as a kid. The car was much smaller in relation to the tree than it is in real life, they were driving through it at speed in the drawing. I thought that was brilliant at the time although I don't suppose it would be done today. It is still there alright.

Attached Images
Old 02-18-2022, 02:04 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I be here..
Old 02-18-2022, 03:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I remember seeing that tree on a family trip when I was a kid. There was also a tree that had a small gift shop inside of it.

Hope everyone has a great day, with no wind damage.

Calmself, it's a cycle. Stress and anxiety promote drinking, and drinking promotes stress and anxiety. Resentments, fear, worry, regret, other negative emotions are part of the mix. That's what a nondrinker, or active drinker, will never understand. They think that you can just decide not to pick up. But it requires a comprehensive approach or there is little chance of success.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
This is The Grizzly Giant. About 2400 years old.
Of course now i have to go looking up old photo albums now, i had the luck to stand next to Grizzly many years ago. 🙃
Old 02-18-2022, 06:36 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I remember driving through a tree when I was 6 years old. We were visiting family in CA. But my quick little bit of research tells me it was most likely a different one which is no longer there. I spent a fair amount of time in Northern CA over the years, since I had/have family in the San Francisco area, and I was stationed in Monterey for a year whenI was in the Army. I love it there, and I wish I could afford to live there. I'd move in a heartbeat.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:14 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Magsie

Calmself, I used to think the booze helped my anxieties not realising they exacerbated them.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:59 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I am in. I am still growing my strong roots. Yesterday was my 14 month sober date. this is my Japanese Maple last fall.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:37 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Splendid Japanese Maple CBS62, we have a few near me in Victoria Park.

Breezy in London but not as bad as some of the more excitable sections of the Press said it would be. Unfortunately it has taken its toll of rubbish bins and consequently there is windblown rubbish everywhere.

Hometime Friday!

He will always be the King of Pop to me...