Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Breezing through the storms ~ Weekenders 18 - 21 February 2022

Notices

Breezing through the storms ~ Weekenders 18 - 21 February 2022

Old 02-19-2022, 04:47 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Robbie, I hope the game goes well and you don't loose your money. Is there an app that will allow you to stream the game live?
None that can be accessed legally! There used to be a number of websites with live streams available for all the English Premier League football matches but the Premier League got High Court injunctions which means that ISP's have to block the websites.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:34 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Samantha

Onto day 21, work this morning for only 4hrs since it's the weekend.
But it's going to be a frigid day here so I will spend it indoors, likely cooking and cleaning.
not a terrible day I guess
Old 02-19-2022, 06:17 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Enjoy your football Robbie, that was a good track, no wonder SN was annoyed. The only time I ever actually heard music played on an 8 track was in my great uncle's expensive Rover V8 car in the 1970's. He was a jazz fan, I like jazz too but as a youngster I would have thought it as old person's music.lolol.

Hopefully you and the pooches can get out today Kaily. It's not that great out but at least there are no trees being blown over.

Congratulations on 21 days Sam.

I didn't see anything bad happen in yesterday's storm but I did see someone carrying some boxes get blown over. Fortunately he was a young man and not hurt, I helped him gather his boxes but I was trying not to laugh while I was doing it. That sounds mean but it had Keystone Cops aspect to it.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:24 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Joining y'all for my 7th sober weekend. Happy Saturday everyone!
Old 02-19-2022, 06:45 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Enjoy your football Robbie, that was a good track, no wonder SN was annoyed. The only time I ever actually heard music played on an 8 track was in my great uncle's expensive Rover V8 car in the 1970's. He was a jazz fan, I like jazz too but as a youngster I would have thought it as old person's music.lolol.

Hopefully you and the pooches can get out today Kaily. It's not that great out but at least there are no trees being blown over.

Congratulations on 21 days Sam.

I didn't see anything bad happen in yesterday's storm but I did see someone carrying some boxes get blown over. Fortunately he was a young man and not hurt, I helped him gather his boxes but I was trying not to laugh while I was doing it. That sounds mean but it had Keystone Cops aspect to it.
That is kinda slapstick funny! I love all the old stuff, Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton etc. I helped a fellow once when people were lining up at one of our provincial liquor stores (big queues at liquor stores at beginning of covid) and he was slight and frail and a high wind blew him over. As an aside, I felt ashamed to be lining up for booze; please, never again.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:11 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I think the funniest slapstick thing I ever witnessed was something that happened to me! It was back in December 2009 and the temperatures had dropped to below freezing. The lid of my wheelie bin had frozen solid to the base and I couldn't get it open. I was trying to sneak my empty beer cans into the bin late at night. it took a herculean effort to get the lid to open, and I was pulling on the bin lid so hard that when it did eventually open I went off balance and fell head first into the bin! I actually started laughing so loud that I was concerned that someone might have heard me and looked out of the window - all they would have seen were my legs sticking up out of the bin!

Back to the football, I lost my bet as my team drew 1-1.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:36 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Oh that is hilarious Robbie! 🤣
Old 02-19-2022, 07:37 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Sorry about the footie. Hope you're not out too much.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:55 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

No storms here thankfully.

Taking the grandbabies to the drag races today. I haven't been in forever and I'm trying to get them involved in something outside so when they get older maybe the phone won't be their only hobby.

The youngest is only almost 2 but she perks up when she hears a loud car or motorcycle so maybe this can be a thing for her and her sister. They have a class for kids called junior dragster where they drive miniature rail cars with souped up lawnmower style engines. Would love for them to get involved in something like that.
In my drinking days it would be all about me. This is about me AND them.
Actually in my drinking days this probably wouldn't happen. I'd be too hungover to follow through.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:57 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Heard a story once of a guy working on a mutil story building carrying a sheet of plywood. The wind caught him and blew him off the building then shifted and blew him back in the building on a lower floor.
I would have given my 2 day notice. I quit TODAY!!
Old 02-19-2022, 08:22 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Sorry about the footie. Hope you're not out too much.
Just £5, which works out at 8.66 Canadian dollars. It's only my second bet of the year, the first one was a winner so I'm still up overall. At least with gambling, unlike alcohol, I can do it in moderation. I probably only bet about once a month and it's always for a small amount. One of my friends is a gambling addict though, he's actually been banned from one of the major bookmakers and they did it for his own good as he was losing far too much money (we're talking thousands here).
Old 02-19-2022, 08:39 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Good weather here for 2 Days before the temps really drop. A 'high' of 24 F [-4 C], with a low of 4 F [-16 C], by next Thursday. >Double that high temp reading today, so even the Deer are enjoying their Brekkie before the Snow starts next Monday.

Congrats to all hitting assorted Milestones. Milestones matter...

Old 02-19-2022, 09:36 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I had my 4 year sober versary on 2/17. I'd forgotten it and my dear friend, Courage PM'd me to congratulate me. Even though I've been here about 8 years, I had a few stops and starts my first few years. Glad to have 4 years.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:19 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 years of sobriety Aly.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:34 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Dearest Aly,
Old 02-19-2022, 10:43 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The weekend is here and I'm doing... nothing. I have nothing to do and nowhere to go so I'm just settled in the house with the critters.

Slept late this morning but woke up feeling pretty good.

I hope everyone has a good sober weekend.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:57 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 years Aly!!!

Robbie that is funny! At least it didn't get caught on camera and posted online...then you'd never hear the end of it!

Wow FK ~ OMG nooooo waaaay
Old 02-19-2022, 10:59 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Morning Weekenders!

The storm that hit the UK yesterday was largely confined to the south and south west. Here in north east England we just got the tail end of the storm as it passed out to sea. We had some strong winds but very little else. Sadly 4 people so far have been confirmed as having been killed by the high winds. And speaking of trees, this 200 year old oak tree crashed down onto a house. Thankfully everyone who was in the house at the time is safe https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-60440429
Poor, venerable tree. According to the BBC article it was four hundred years old, which means it was already there during the Great Storm of 1703.

Amazing to contemplate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_storm_of_1703

Old 02-19-2022, 11:05 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
I had my 4 year sober versary on 2/17. I'd forgotten it and my dear friend, Courage PM'd me to congratulate me. Even though I've been here about 8 years, I had a few stops and starts my first few years. Glad to have 4 years.
Congrats on the 4 years, Aly!!!
Old 02-19-2022, 11:24 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Poor, venerable tree. According to the BBC article it was four hundred years old, which means it was already there during the Great Storm of 1703.

Amazing to contemplate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_storm_of_1703
Very interesting article. 1703 was obviously before my time but I was living in London in 1987 when there was another Great Storm. It was a frightening experience as the winds were so incredibly strong and loud and I couldn't get to sleep because of the noise. Plus a nearby house was being renovated and was covered in tarpaulin which made the most incredible noise as the wind blew all night. Then there was a massive gust of wind at about 3am and the electricity in the whole of north and west London went off. The next morning, outside looked like a disaster zone. There were trees lying in the middle of the road and roof tiles were lying scattered all over the place. I made it into work to find out the office had windows blown out and a nearby caravan site was all but destroyed with caravans lying on their side. Because the storm happened during the night the loss of life was small. Had it happened a few hours later it is likely the death toll would have been much higher https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_storm_of_1987

(I still love that classic News At Ten theme music)