Notices

Holiday thread...

Old 08-01-2021, 08:34 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Hi, Gabe. I'm glad you're getting through this, glad too that today is a really good day!

My two cents are to relish the beauty and try to 'lovingly detach' from distractions such as whether or when the mister decides to drink. I think you had plenty ideas of things to do with your husband that were not alcohol-centric. If you haven't already, maybe you can shore that up with ideas about things to do that aren't husband-centric. You know, to pull out of your hat just in case. What you deserve is to do whatever it takes in the moment to take care of yourself.

You're doing good.

O
Thank you O.....this is great advice and I'll give it some thought. There are lots of things I could do alone that would be really enjoyable and I'm catching up with all my friends too.

Navigating new waters. It's hard!!

Old 08-01-2021, 11:53 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I went on a holiday once with husband and drinky family, and I literally went to a movie by myself to get a break. They are all caring and lovely but I couldn’t be around it anymore. I really learned becoming independent with no regrets as protecting my sobriety is number 1. It may come of as selfish but really is best for everyone, and everyone around me to not drink and become crazy. I do still negotiate drinks with my husband on vacations 2.5 years later, I know it’s my problem, but he knows I’d just up and leave and do my own thing if he’s hungover, etc. So no hard stuff in our hotel rooms, but he can usually picks up a six pack. If he was drinking super bad, I wouldn’t go…cause I’m not into being trapped with it. So this compromise had been working. Vacations being rare with Covid.

Keep posting, I’m rooting for you. Savor those hangover and regret free mornings. They are the best on vacations!
Old 08-02-2021, 04:03 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
I went on a holiday once with husband and drinky family, and I literally went to a movie by myself to get a break. They are all caring and lovely but I couldn’t be around it anymore. I really learned becoming independent with no regrets as protecting my sobriety is number 1. It may come of as selfish but really is best for everyone, and everyone around me to not drink and become crazy. I do still negotiate drinks with my husband on vacations 2.5 years later, I know it’s my problem, but he knows I’d just up and leave and do my own thing if he’s hungover, etc. So no hard stuff in our hotel rooms, but he can usually picks up a six pack. If he was drinking super bad, I wouldn’t go…cause I’m not into being trapped with it. So this compromise had been working. Vacations being rare with Covid.

Keep posting, I’m rooting for you. Savor those hangover and regret free mornings. They are the best on vacations!
Yes! This is where I feel I'm at....we are negotiating how to do this and get the most out of it, so there is a bit of a template for holidays in the future.

I think I'm making the right decisions for me and I'm confident I won't drink here. I just need to keep an eye on things and know when I need some time out.

Thank you very much for posting. I'm really glad you have figured out a way that works for you xx
Old 08-02-2021, 04:05 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Great sleep, big walk and planning some good food...big chat with my mother in law too and they all are cheering me on.

Made me realise how easy it is to over complicate everything. I was just freaking out a bit but I feel better now. Xx
Old 08-02-2021, 05:27 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

You are giving this your all, Gabe. It is understandable why there are the rules and the conversations..
Believe in yourself. We believe in you. Keep on going.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:33 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
You are giving this your all, Gabe. It is understandable why there are the rules and the conversations..
Believe in yourself. We believe in you. Keep on going.
Thank you Mizz I am not giving up now! I'm determined I'm walking away from this break rested and well.

Stayed in last night. Everyone went to my in-laws for a few drinks. I really wasn't bothered at all. Best thing was seeing the hangovers today. I walked 9 miles while there were still in bed.

That's a win!

Old 08-03-2021, 02:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
I walked 9 miles while there were still in bed.
Wow! Great job Gabe!
Old 08-03-2021, 06:13 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Great sleep, big walk and planning some good food...big chat with my mother in law too and they all are cheering me on.

Made me realise how easy it is to over complicate everything. I was just freaking out a bit but I feel better now. Xx
Must feel cathartic to get it all out in the open.

It's what I am. I respect you to deal with it.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:36 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I walked 9 miles while there were still in bed.
You must have started 3 hours before sunrise. Well hangovers tend to keep people in bed longer. So maybe just an hour before sunrise.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:01 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Okay.... struggling today. Not sure why but want to drink. Almost talked myself into it but then caught myself down....
Old 08-04-2021, 08:20 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Just thoughts and cravings love. You can tell them to take a hike. s
Old 08-04-2021, 08:28 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Going for a big walk xx
Old 08-04-2021, 08:29 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Just thoughts and cravings love. You can tell them to take a hike. s
Thank you Hun ❤️
Old 08-04-2021, 08:32 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Maybe take a bottle of water with you on the walk love. And us. We are coming too. ❤️
Old 08-04-2021, 12:09 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Okay....panic over! 5 mile walk in a thunderstorm and plenty of food. Feel much better.

I have booked the next two nights away, so I can have a bit of space. It'll mean the husband can have a bit of guilt free drinking time, then we'll do some stuff together next week.

There are always solutions....not always simple or easy ones but there are
Old 08-04-2021, 12:17 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

❤️
Old 08-04-2021, 01:40 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

There are always solutions....not always simple or easy ones but there are
That's the ticket, Gabe!
Look at that - you're doing this thing.

You're amazing.

O
Old 08-04-2021, 08:28 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Brilliant move, Gabe! And great job of pulling back from the edge of the precipice.

You're making us all proud. Really, two weeks on holiday in early recovery would test anyone.

Keep making those good decisions and doing what's best for Gabe.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:53 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thank you very much folks! I really appreciate the posts and encouragement.

Feeling exhausted today but much better in terms of recovery. It's stressful at times, but there are also some great gains to be had coming here. I'm going to have a bit of a rest today and eat some nice food, maybe a walk around the town I'm staying in and some coffee.

I did some sketching with oil pastels too. I've not done that for years. I feel I am getting parts of myself back again
Old 08-05-2021, 04:23 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Reading about your progress is such nice thing to wake up to, Gabe.
You are doing this thing and finding tools to make it through. Such determination. I am really happy for you and also really proud of you!