Notices

Weekenders July 22 "Fall Down Seven Times, Get Back Up Eight"

Old 07-24-2021, 09:39 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

LHW, oh those reminders. The memory of those events is hard enough - a video replay would punch me in the gut. Sobriety is your present and your future; you will soon have a “past” that didn’t include drinking and that video will be a part of ancient history.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:21 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Reid, prayers for you and your mom.
Mags, so glad you're posting, even with one hand. It's so good to hear from you. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Praying for rapid and healing well.
I'm in for the weekend, sober.
Love and peace to you all. Have a wonderful day. ☮✝☪💟💗💞
Old 07-24-2021, 11:15 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Magsie

LHW gosh that was an awful reminder for you but also a learning curve. You don’t ever need to have drunken episodes again.

Thanks Aly, take care love x
Old 07-24-2021, 11:20 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Prayers for speedy healing, dear Mags.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:32 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
saoutchik

God i'm so glad there were no smart phones with cameras when I was young and drinking. It doesn't bear thinking about. Once you have some sober time it will just be a reminder of the drinker you once was LHW.

It's Saturday evening here in London and for those that need a boost or not here are The Whispers. They might look like resort reps but this is brilliant.

https://youtu.be/UKmD05Zm6_U

Old 07-24-2021, 02:27 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I don't remember The Whispers but remembered that song once it started.

Mags, it sounds very uncomfortable. Prayers for a fast healing process.

LHW, thank goodness there are no videos of me while drinking like you describe. That must be terribly embarrassing. In most of our family pictures though, I obviously have a hangover.

"Terminally unique". Very good term.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:52 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I love 'It's A Love Thing' by The Whispers. It makes me feel old knowing that it's from 1981 - 40 years ago. Even older is this one by the band. It's from 1980 and this one takes me back to my final year at school. It's my favourite from the band and one which I bought at the time. Great bass on both this one and 'It's A Love Thing'. I think it might be Leon Sylvers III on bass . He also worked with Shalamar at the time and played bass on most of their records from back then too, with similar magnificent effect.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:33 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Weekenders

Nice music I remember them. Gosh where has the time gone?

Thanks Lovely Leigh.

A sunny sober morning here.

xxxx
Old 07-25-2021, 12:58 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, morning Mags, I hope your wrist is on the mend.

Yes a lot of people know and like their music but have not really heard of The Whispers themselves.

There was some rare good news here yesterday when a missing 11 year old girl was found safe and well in London.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:36 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Magsie

That’s always good to hear Saou.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:05 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

Today I am 6 months sober. My sobriety date is 25 January 2021. On that day I woke up after yet another binge drinking session which had left me feeling ill. I vowed I was going to stop drinking and to do whatever it took to stay stopped. It's not been an easy 6 months with health scares and a couple of times where I've come close to drinking again but thanks partly to a mix of determination to make a permanent change and to the wonderful support of everyone here at SR I've reached the 6 month stage in my journey of sobriety. The world seems much better from where I am now than I where I was 6 months ago. Both my physical and mental health is much better. I am able to deal with life's ups and downs much easier. I also feel more focussed on life and what it is I want from life rather than just concentrating on how I my health is at that particular moment (it was usually awful). That's not to say things are completely rosy. I still have things in life I need to work on. However I'm much more content with what I've got in life rather than seeking something I'll never get. For that alone I'm grateful. To add to that, today is also the 4th anniversary of me signing up to SoberRecovery!
Old 07-25-2021, 03:53 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Six months is great Robbie! It was very significant for me as well, in part because of a scene in a movie. It was the point at which I really began to believe that it might be possible to do this.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:05 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Congratulations robbie!
6 Months is great!
Old 07-25-2021, 04:57 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations Robbie

Old 07-25-2021, 05:39 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Dearest Robbie,

Old 07-25-2021, 05:41 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Robbie, huge congrats on that hard-won six months of sober time.

That's when things really started getting a whole lot better for me as far as "dealing" with life. Still not perfect, but I don't have to be.

Sober Saturday morning never gets old.

I too am very glad there were not cellphone videos when I was in my drinking days. LHW, try to let it go, difficult though it may be. I moved 3000 miles in part to try to escape my embarrassment. It wasn't pretty.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:20 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Oh. So apparently it's Sunday.

Sober Sunday morning is just as fantastic as Saturday.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:48 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Thanks Bim for the opener. How many times I fell! Now I'm back up I'm pretty damned determined to stay that way. Glad to see you still joining us Mags - I hope I'm sending healing vibes your way.

So, congratulations Robbie on your 6 months. I'm glad for you that your alcohol free future now seems attainable. I'm at 31 months and still strengthening my sober muscles but it does get easier as time goes by.

In news from here, I bravely (perhaps foolishly) caught the Saturday night party train home from the countryside last night. While the few of us sensible types were getting ready to face the night well wrapped up, the 20-something's were shedding layers as the train neared the city centre destination. The younger men were drinking and picking arguments for the sake of showing off. The young women, also worse for wear, were trying to calm them. Oh to be young again, but I didn't really see the point of night clubs back in the day anyway. Just another excuse for pointless drinking.

So, work this afternoon to prepare for the week ahead and maybe another walk. Warm wishes to all. Onwards... Forwards.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:16 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Nice to see you, Fowards!

Congrats, Robbie!

Day 4, Sunday. Felt some energy returning yesterday, foot is beginning to heal.

I am looking forward to hitting my 5 month mark, when I was surprised to feel no need to drink during stressful events when I had a long stretch of sobriety in 2018.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:18 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

LHW

I think I’d keep it on my phone. Wow. What a gift from your friends. Horrible, but I see it as a great gift. Our AV can taint the truth, but there is no denying the truth there.