Notices

Weekenders July 22 "Fall Down Seven Times, Get Back Up Eight"

Old 07-22-2021, 11:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Pinged by the Covid app???What? People are being forced to isolate if they're pinged? Do you have to opt-in or is it optional?

It's complicated. The app is optional and I don't think it is the law that you must isolate and the requirements are changing again on 16th August but to be honest there are so many grey areas with our Covid rules I am not certain. It's becoming the proverbial "hot potato" here
Old 07-22-2021, 12:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
It's complicated. The app is optional and I don't think it is the law that you must isolate and the requirements are changing again on 16th August but to be honest there are so many grey areas with our Covid rules I am not certain. It's becoming the proverbial "hot potato" here
I was looking forward to a thorough explanation. It truly is one of lives mystery's

Old 07-22-2021, 12:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Inspirational posts and though I didn’t think there was a life after booze way back then, many have gone on to show there is.

Cake sounds good CK, ,

thanks again for all your concerns. I’m doing everything right to get better as soon as possible xxxx

I saw on the news some shops may have to close because of staff on lockdown. If you’ve had both jabs and get a pcr test (not the lateral flow test) you can un-isolate….or so I understand it.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Bim

D
Old 07-22-2021, 01:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You read right, Bim.

ready to get off the roller coaster. So ready.

Climbing back out, with determination.

Gotta do some soul searching and not succumb to the false belief I don’t have a problem.

will be here, and reaching inside, and reaching outward for help/support.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

On Covid app, it’s a ding.

when I had it, there were penalties threatened Including imprisonment and monetary fines
Old 07-22-2021, 01:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Stay close, free; you can make sobriety a forever thing; there is no doubt about it.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh yeah I used to be covered with bumps and bruises from years of drunken falls....tumbled off the bar at least once, bruised ribs from another fall that I was told later about 'cause I had blacked out....but it turns out I can injure myself just fine without alcohol too!

Hope U r feeling better Mags

Thanks for the new thread Bim

In for the weekend
Old 07-22-2021, 02:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks for the opening thread Bim.I’ve stumbled so many times in my sobriety journey it’s ridiculous. (I get so annoyed at myself for allowing that voice to take over my common sense). But I keep getting back up after a fall. I won’t let the AV beast win. This time around, this weekend will be my 10th consecutive sober weekend. I have no intention of allowing the AV air space in my thoughts. I am trying to shut it down as soon as it tries to sneak in.

Sao, I like your analogy about the tyrannosaurus rex becoming a hamster. The scary monster is still trying to trip me up at times, but hopefully it will morph into a hamster with time.

Mags, it’s so good to see you here. Sending more love ❤️

Marty I hope the unbalanced feeling settles quickly. Have you been to a doctor? I got really dizzy/unbalanced with a middle ear infection, and needed antibiotics. I didn’t feel unwell, just started losing my balance and I fell over a couple of times. I know there are other things too that can cause loss of balance. I think a check up at the doctor is definitely worthwhile. I hope you’re better soon

Free I’m glad you’re still here with us. I thought so many times that I could moderate, but the AV is a sneaky predator, and it ramps up it’s attacks when we feed it. I know that for me, it’s much easier to not drink at all than to try and moderate and drink “normally”. It causes too much physical, psychological and emotional stress trying to control it. For me, it’s just better and easier to have none.

I’m away out bush this weekend, so I won’t have a chance to check in until I get back. Have a wonderful weekend everyone
Old 07-22-2021, 03:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sliding this in here under the heading of "perseverance"

- Some of you might remember this, the theme music for The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe television series of the 1960s.
I was thrilled to find the tune on YT, it was hauntingly memorable.
Reading the YT comments, I see that many others felt the same, and it was a beloved series in the childhood of many as it was re-broadcast often.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ad...oe_(TV_series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE10msGsCn4 - runs about 7 mins., with scenes from the series.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Sao, I'm surprised andyh didn't call me out on that one.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Caramel, I'd forgotten about The Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe. It was one of the programmes that was regularly shown on BBC1 in the UK, usually during the summer school holidays, all through the 1970s. The programme was one of a number of continental European productions from the 1960s which were dubbed into English, others include The White Horses, The Flashing Blade and Belle and Sebastian. All were 12 or 13 episodes long but because they were repeated so often it seemed like there were many more episodes. All look very dated these days but they do bring back happy memories of a carefree time! The White Horses had a beautiful theme tune while The Flashing Blade had a very action packed, adventurous, theme tune which some forum members from the UK may remember

As someone posted in the comments "I watched this (during the) school holidays, love the theme tune... NEVER understood what was going on.". Lol, that sums it up for me too, I never had a clue what was happening except there were sword fights, fist fights and people charging around on horseback.

Old 07-22-2021, 05:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

^ Stirring stuff!
Old 07-22-2021, 10:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, TGIF.

I remember both of those series, I think I gave up on the Flashing Blade as I couldn't follow what was going on.

Animated series The Magic Roundabout was was French and narrated in english by Emma Thompson's dad Eric. Hector's House got the same voiceover treatment too.

Surely Pedants' Revolt should be Pedant's Revolt

https://youtu.be/Z8Q9HU7vzO0

Attached Images
Old 07-22-2021, 10:57 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Perhaps if I share this stuff, some of it rubs off- and I might see it myself a little more the same as others do.
My counsellor from rehab- called to say he is resigning from the new merged service and was saying goodbye. He told me a while ago I was the hardest working client he ever had. On the phone he said he has developed a great deal of respect for me being so hard working, growing, not giving up and changing.
The Art School student counsellor, who I called today for a phone consul.t- being in lockdown which has really made the grief and sadness I feel about my hellish past and not seeing my sons, said even through the call (she has not seen me for about 18months) she feels pride for me, that I have noticeably grown, show self kindness through my actions, also I am very srtrong and resilient, 'amazing' in my growth and tyhat many she knows of with much less trauma- break.

I cannot process this stuff, still thinking of myself as a pile of refuse, bur do accept others see me differently.
I macde myself go for a walk, which am allowed to do with conditions under the lockdown rules.

Listening to Led Zep's The Song Remains the Same', and staying sane. Stupid pain never helps, but yet I live and grow.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Magsie

PJ, if you tell yourself enough you’re a pile of refuse, you will begin to believe it. Trust in people and what they’re saying about you. They’ve seen your successes and progress achievements.

Listen to what they’re saying. Those who have been on the recovery road with you in these years past know how good you are. Start believing. You deserve to think highly of yourself my friend. xx
Old 07-23-2021, 02:07 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

PJ, hang on

"Life is difficult.
This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths.
It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it.
Once we truly know that life is difficult - once we truly understand and accept it - then life is no longer difficult.
Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters."
Scott Peck - The Road Less Travelled

Have a good day Weekenders ☼
Old 07-23-2021, 03:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I suspect Sao is trying to goad us with the pedant's/pedants' thing, and I'm not biting. Pedants, meet Contrarian.

Loved the music from the old TV shows. Being American I didn't recognize it, but I liked it.

Free2B...I'm sorry you're back at drinking. It is possible to have the beautiful new life you've started without alcohol, right? It would be so much better, truly.

PJ, I get it about the self-loathing. It seems to be the addict's default and it's deep programming. Maybe it's just the Human Condition to replay past events wishing for a do-over but that's not to be in this lifetime. Like I said yesterday, I try to keep the past at arm's length or I would slip into depression for sure. The lockdowns are definitely challenging. I think (hope) we're done with them here, but no way to know the future.

If I'm living one half-second in the past or one half-second in the future, I'm living in illusion and illusion is the Province of fear.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I’m in. I walked down an icy hill to our barn one evening drunk as usual and before I could react I was down twisted and ripped my shoulder. That was fun. I’m on day 6. I’ve fallen so many times with alcohol its ridiculous. But I keep getting back up. This time I want to stay standing!
Old 07-23-2021, 04:33 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

PJ, I hope that you can move past those thoughts. I have them sometimes, though not nearly as intensively as when I was still drinking. For me, it played with the whole guilt thing. I would remember things from the past, many but not all having occurred while drinking, then would come the wave of guilt, then would come the feeling of worthlessness, then would come the thoughts that my wife and kid would be better off if I just had a crash or something. Thank goodness that the intensity of those thoughts is in the past.

Saou, that's very funny.

Willow, it's good that you continue to fight it. I hope that one day you can put down your wine glass for good.

I used to plan to stay at the marina when I took my kid fishing. It was mostly just so that I could begin drinking in the boat and wouldn't have to drive home. On one of these occasions I tripped and fell and hurt my arm so badly that I only had limited use of it for months, but it finally healed on its own.