Notices

Newcomer

Old 06-15-2021, 09:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Today is day three. Ive slept for about 4 hours in two days. Im hydrated and well fed. I went to Waffle House this am with my son and devoured an all star and some coffee. I don't really drink coffee unless I am trying to detox due to lack of sleep, so it winds me up. It also helps overcome the lack of sleep.

I have done the short term detox thing before so this isn't uncharted waters for me but it still sucks feeling this way. Coming up with a long term plan is what I have lacked in the past and that is what I am focusing on this go round. I read on this site last night for about three hours when I couldn't sleep, trying to gain input on what has worked (and hasn't) for others of y'all who have gone through this.

I have come up with this consensus so far:
-There is no silver bullet/magic wand. It takes work, will power, and dedication. I made myself successful in business with this so it is of no surprise, but I think working on yourself is much harder than slaving away on a job site (for me anyways, I always just got drunk and forgot about my inner problems rather face them.). I know I can do it though.

-It is really hard to do alone and there are resources out there who can be an enormous amount of help if you let them in.

-My situation isn't unique and there is no shame in fixing it. It is actually incredible to make the change and I commend/admire those who have faced it. It is way more difficult to fix it rather than drown it.

-Drinking in moderation/socially isn't for me and most that try it, fail, when a person is wired like many of us in this situation.

-Being sober isn't going to automatically fix your problems, but being sober will make dealing them in the proper manner much easier and with better results.

-Idle time is the devils hand. Stay busy. I used to be unstoppable with my energy and drive. Lately my time was spent drunk or hungover and not doing much. That's not me. It eats your brain with depression and feeling worthless, which leads to drinking. It is a viscous cycle.

-This is the right decision for me and my family. Period. I am mad at myself for the wasted years spent drunk. That time will never come back, but I can't dwell on that. I can change it though going forward.

I say all this for a number of reasons. Feedback from others obviously. If I put it in writing (even on the internet to a bunch of strangers) I will read it and reread it so It will become ingrained in my head. And also, and this may sound weird but it's something I noticed reading here, is that I gathered a sliver of advice from a random post, it helped me. I hope somebody else going through this sees something I shared and it helps them. I like helping people who want to be helped as others do here.

This place is unique. Im a member of various forums but they are all related to outdoor stuff, diesel trucks, boats, etc. All pretty manly redneck tough guy stuff. People share things personal but it always turns into internet tough guy bravado garbage. The members here are brutally honest with many crying out for help, and the love and compassion shown for them is such a positive thing I can't put it into words, but many here are brutally honest. No sugar coating. Not rude or mean, but think Dr. Phil type advice (I really like that guy, listen to his podcasts, he's good).

Anyways, thanks for listening and letting me share.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

One random thought I picked up here was you don't wake up wishing you drank last night. I like your post and am rooting for you.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That was a wonderful post, birddawg. I'm so glad you're liking us & making yourself at home. We're so happy you're here.
I wish everyone would be more open - we have so much to share with each other in this life - but we rarely feel comfortable being honest. SR is unique, as you said.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
under new management

wow, birddawg, I give your post an A+++

Old 06-15-2021, 12:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I also can’t help saying what a wonderful post that was, birddawg. It sounds like you are determined to make sobriety stick and that you have a definite plan. If I may suggest, also have a clear plan in place for when you arrive back home from your family visit. I’ve sobered up elsewhere with serious intentions for example during business away or a vacation, often to be undone when I arrive back home.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Nice job Birddawg!! Sounds like you've been engaged in some deep thinking and self reflection. I'm glad you're working on a plan of action for your long term recovery. One of the first things said to me when I started going to AA was " Trust God, clean house, help others!!" and it still pops up in my mind every day...
Old 06-15-2021, 07:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome Birddawg and congratulations on your first days of not drinking. As you noted, simply abstaining from drinking is usually not as long lasting as building a good life of in sobriety. I too was a binge drinker and in recovery I found out that there wasn't any way to reset and go back to being a "normal drinker" as I had passed that phase and now was into binging vodka for 3-5 days.

Ive been sober now for 2 years and its been a good time for me. Im one of those people who remain pretty active in different things and I used to tell myself that alcohol was important for me to blow off steam and that delusion would even go as far as me thinking alcohol actually helped me be creative and insightful. All nonsense. In sobriety I've been much more productive and I also work less because I had to learn to draw boundaries in my life and learn how to properly relax, cope and deal with problems that are a part of all of our lives.

I used to struggle to bottle up my emotions all the time and over time alcohol became my outlet for that except it made everything worse. Anger, grief and depressions got worse every year. About a year into sobriety I noticed I did not have the same type of roller coaster emotions and that I dealt with things a lot better. I didnt feel the same inner turmoil and I didnt have the same type of problems that came from drinking.

This forum is great but Id also encourage you to check out some different videos, podcasts, books as well because those helped me too. You can do this.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome, Dave! I had many day ones as well, but thanks to SR now have five and a half years sober. Life hasn't always been easy the past five years, but I have learned to navigate through all situations sober. You can do this!!
Old 06-15-2021, 11:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ciowa View Post
This forum is great but Id also encourage you to check out some different videos, podcasts, books as well because those helped me too. You can do this.
Do you have any suggestions on podcasts? I work alone a good bit so I listen to lots of them. I mainly listen to humor and sports. Barstool, Rogan and his crowd, a few others. Have you heard of Steve-O from jackass fame? He was super strung out on all sorts of stuff and came REALLY close to killing himself slowly but got clean and has been for 13 years. He speaks about it on some of his shows and its pretty interesting.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I recommend this. it is hard hitting and brutally honest. It is old but certainly touched a nerve for me.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Day six is coming to a close. I'm doing good. I finally got a full nights sleep Thursday night and it felt so good. I'm pretty much out of the woods on the physical side of withdrawals so that's good. From past experience (sad, I know), that's how long it takes for my body to begin to return to a sense of normalcy.

Just wanted to check in with y'all. I hope everyone is doing well. Enjoy the weekend.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:46 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too Birddawg - congrats on day 6
Old 06-18-2021, 09:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Well done birddawg! I’m glad you pretty much made it through detox. Please keep checking in.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:13 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Rar

From Kailua, “but I no longer drink no matter what. I still sometimes have the battles but I always win.”.
I love this.

How are you doing, Birddawg?
Old 06-19-2021, 10:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

As someone about to start this journey, I really appreciate coming across your thread birddawg!

I am honestly scared, but ready for a change.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:30 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave. The days pass quickly, keep thinking of things to do to fill your time in healthy ways.
Old 06-20-2021, 03:10 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome birddog!

In hoping this is Day 8 for you.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Welcome birddog!

In hoping this is Day 8 for you.
It is. The physical portion of this is pretty much in the rearview mirror. Now its all in my head.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:13 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CWC1349 View Post

I am honestly scared, but ready for a change.
Don't be scared. You will feel like a different person in a week. It's worth it. It for sure beats how you probably feel right now.