Notices

Weekenders 08 - 11 January 2021 Swimming against the tide

Old 01-08-2021, 03:35 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thank you, Devizes. Well done to you on your continued success.

Me and the doglets have been walking on the local golf course, twas lovely and no people

Old 01-08-2021, 03:43 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Andyh, that's just good clean fun.

Kaily, lots of us have struggled with eating addiction. I went back and forth between food and alcohol a few times, seems a pretty common affliction.

It's a process. I still highly recommend keeping a log with calorie estimates. That's my #1 accountability tool. I can see it right there in black and white. When I eat too much I gain weight, too. That's my second accountability tool - the body weight scale. I have a five pound range and I'm really strict with myself about that. But yeah, I don't buy the stuff. Make my decisions in the store. Maybe stop looking at the treats as, "Nice" foods. They're causing you angst. That's not very friendly.

I see them as Occasional Foods.

Really since covid has happened I've had very good eating habits. I think part of my success is not browsing at the store. I make a list and I'm in and out. No wandering.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:45 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

That's beautiful K. My favorite neighborhood walk is through an old golf course that's now a city park. That's where the eagle nest is. Beautiful old growth cedar and fir trees and ornamental trees that I now get to enjoy as mature growth.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:04 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, beautiful photo. Looks really good for walking.

Old 01-08-2021, 05:05 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Magsie

Happy Birthday PJ
Old 01-08-2021, 01:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Evening Weekenders

It's been a bitterly cold day today with frequent snow showers this morning. It's -2c now and the forecast is for temperatures to drop to -7c during the night.

Happy Birthday PJ.

Kaily that is a lovely picture.

Hope everyone is keeping well.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags
Old 01-08-2021, 03:12 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Completely random post: the thread title puts me in mind of this old ditty, these are the words I learned:

Oh, Jemima, look at your Uncle Jim,
he's in the duck pond learning how to swim,
first he does the breast-stroke, then he does the side,
then he does the back-stroke, swimming against the tide

Has anyone else come across this one?

Old 01-08-2021, 03:37 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

^
I've not heard of that one before Caramel.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:14 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not one I've heard either, Caramel.

D
Old 01-08-2021, 07:47 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Magsie

I’ve not heard of it either Caramel. Some delightful pieces of poetry to find.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:11 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Hope everyone is well, shout out if you’re struggling.

I half expected snow this morning but none so far, just freezing outside.

A good day to keep warm at home.

See you later xxxx
Old 01-08-2021, 11:18 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Sao please clickity clack on your keyboard and let us know you are ok.

Two ladies were fined £200 yesterday in Derbyshire for travelling five miles for a walk in the countryside. Apparently because they had coffee with them it was deemed a picnic. Clearly it is safer to walk in packed town centres surrounded by people.

Think I better watch where I go walking, stick to the busy places! I know rules are rules..

Thinking of starting a 1000 piece jigsaw today. Last one I did took six months. Then there was the recommended online one with a missing piece if anyone remembers that debacle

Why is no one posting? It is getting pretty lonely around here.

Just one more thought, supposing I start my walk from home but walk more than five miles?

Guess I am being a little facetious now.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:59 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Kaily, that sounds like an over zealous po po. We certainly have our share of those. That golf course looks like a beautiful place for walking with no golfers around.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:33 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders!

I must learn to go to bed earlier. It was almost 2.30am when I went this morning and I'm now just finishing my breakfast. I like to be ready to get out shopping on a Saturday by now.

Mags, yes, no snow here, just very cold (-3c outside) and patches of ice. I think when I do get out it will be a quick trip to the shops and then straight back home. Anyway, there's football on TV all day and I've got my new computer to play around with!

Kaily, I see the fines for the two women have been rescinded. Probably due to the bad publicity Derbyshire Police have (once again) received. They were criticised last year for overzealous policing of the lockdown rules.

Yes, it is quiet around here at the moment. Maybe posters have got the New Year weekend(ers) blues?!

It's almost time to hang the washing out. I fully expect to be bringing in frozen clothes in few hours time...
Old 01-09-2021, 03:03 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Magsie

Robbie, I hope your washing dries, sun’s out!

Kaily, I saw some people in a big white van had got fined £200 each on the news. We drive to where we walk.

I eventually got to the farm shop. It’s outside, there was no one else shopping. It’s the one place I don’t mind going to.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:45 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Wow, that's some pretty strict fines for a five mile walk. I don't watch the news here but I don't think we've gotten to that level, though our Covid guidelines are almost identical to London's latest lockdowns. I just think no one is really paying much attention to them. However, there are definitely way fewer people using the trail outside my window. In the Spring it was packed, now some days it will be hours between the few people out there. We've had moderate temperatures, just people are staying in.

I twisted my ankle on my walk Wednesday and it's really swollen and bruised. I don't want to go to a medical facility right now so I'm doing the RICE thing and hoping it heals. I just wasn't watching where I was walking and stepped off the sidewalk. It's hard to sit at the computer as I don't have anywhere to elevate my foot comfortably. (Desktop PC) So that's why I'm being quiet.

Way too much Netflix and time in my head right now. I don't want to make the ankle worse or aggravate the injury but it's super hard for me to sit still.

Sao. Hope you're okay. Prayers.

Old 01-09-2021, 04:40 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

A PSA ~

Sao's just fine, as of yesterday. Lockdown 'stuff', and general Life.

MesaPup is also just fine. As are the rest of us here in MesaVille. He's now >18 lbs. [~8 Kg.].

Old 01-09-2021, 04:44 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I didn't know the fines had been rescinded, Robbie. Yes last year the Derbyshire Police had drones out looking for dog walkers to fine.
Good luck setting up the new PC.

I didn't see the white van footage, Mags.

Bim I am sending healing vibes over the World Wide Web pacifically to your ankle. Don't turn your internet off else it won't be able to arrive.

I spent a lovely couple of hours at the golf course again this morning. A perk of lockdown and not living in Derbyshire.

Old 01-09-2021, 04:57 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Bim, I hope the twisted ankle recovers quickly. Or as my skateboard riding nephew would describe it, "rolled". Those injuries can be stubborn.

Just sharing something I was thinking about. I've long had a knack for making off color, if not inappropriate, commentary. This situation has much improved compared to the drinking me. Just another thing in a long list.