Notices

Weekenders 08 - 11 January 2021 Swimming against the tide

Old 01-10-2021, 05:26 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I figured out that massaging my foot and then up my ankle and leg forces the fluid up and eases the swelling of my ankle sprain. This is about 60 hours post-injury and now my foot is showing the released blood. Bruising.

I'm able to walk on it and I only took one acetaminophen and one ibuprofen since it happened, so I think it will heal up okay, but there is definitely ligament and bone involved. I heard two loud cracks when it happened. Honestly I thought there was no way I was going to be able to walk on it - you know that second after you do something like this and then the next second is, "Holy crap. Can I put weight on it or am I going to buckle and fall?" I was on one of my walks without my phone so it might have been a lot worse.

I've turned into that little old lady who only talks about her health now.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:53 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

@saoutchik if you're still here, your mailbox is full.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:57 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, you heard two loud cracks!. I’m glad you’re able to walk on your foot. I hope it’s soon healed.

Robbie, You made me chuckle, I think a paw print is a good idea! I’ve locked the cat flap for now.

Off to collect Mr. Mags from hospital. He’s been for a colonoscopy.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:14 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

A cracking ankle does not sound good Bim. Get some peas on it for the swelling.

I hope Mr Mags is ok Mags. I remember the prep for a colonoscopy .

I went out walking at 8.30 this morning, home by 11 and napping by 1, well sleeping actually, as I woke up two hours later.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:15 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Bim, I am glad that you are able to walk on that foot with that injured ankle. The sound of cracks must have been very in-nerving. Yikes.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:20 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Mags, hope Mr. Mags had an all-clear reading on his colonoscopy.

Glad that you had a nice walk and nap, Kaily. I have been taking more naps than usual during this COVID stuff; I usually wake up confused (well, more confused than normal ) - what day is it? what am I doing on the sofa?

Good to see you, WaterOx.

Robbie.

and love to all.

Sao, CaptainHaddock, manta; hope to hear from you.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:48 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Samantha

I've stayed sober so far, but taking it one day at a time... that's really all I've been able to focus on.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:40 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

hi folks
Old 01-10-2021, 03:53 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi PhoenixJ

Samantha, well done on staying sober. Taking it one day at a time is the best way.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:27 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

PhoenixJ.

ODAAT, anxiousrock; good way to go.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:43 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Magsie

Samantha, that’s great news. Good to see you. x

Hi PJ

Thanks Kaily and Leigh, all was well with his colonoscopy. When we arrived home starving, as he put it, he had his Sunday dinner he couldn’t have earlier.

Leigh, my life patterns have changed in the lockdown too. I often go to read my book and fall asleep. I feel like I’m almost hibernated.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:57 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Oh I like the idea of hibernating, I really struggle with winter. I would love to just hunker down and wake up in the Spring. Think of all the chocolate I wouldn't eat too. I'm glad I'm not the only one that needs afternoon naps, all down hill from here, incontinence pads and Zimmer frames next.

All my days are like Groundhog day, not sure how to mix things up. Maybe get out the bed the opposite side, use a different mug for my morning tea and sign up for Tinder
Old 01-11-2021, 12:04 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

morning all. morning @saoutchik if you're lurking - check in & say hello.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:54 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Magsie

Isn’t half windy here today. Poor little birds are fighting against the wind to get to the feeders.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:01 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Not for nothing but the chocolates and sweets make me feel worse in the longterm. They work great in the moment and therein lies the rub.

I used to really struggle in general in the winters until I started taking Vitamin D. Such a life-changing thing. I cannot over-state how much it helped, probably more than any other OTC thing I've ever tried for depression, fatigue and winter blues. Bonus points, low Vit D seems to be a risk factor for poor outcomes in Covid from what I've read. All I know is that it gave me back a life.

Mags, I'm glad your poor husband didn't starve to death. ::winkwink::

My doctors have been after me to get a colonoscopy for 16 years...um...thanks...(?) Sure. Yeah, okay...

My ankle is markedly better today.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:16 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Isn’t half windy here today. Poor little birds are fighting against the wind to get to the feeders.
Yes, it's quite windy outside. I can hear the bins rattling. Hope they don't blow over!

I did a brave thing this morning - I cut my own hair! . With the immininent threat of another lockdown in the run up to Christmas I asked for some hair clippers as a Christmas present. I've just tried them out as my hair definitely needed a trim. The verdict? 6/10. It looks OK but had it been cut like that at the barbers I wouldn't have paid up! It will do for two or three weeks but I think next time I'll try and find someone to cut it for me. The clipper fitted with the comb guard is easy enough to use but cutting the hair at the back of my head isn't easy (I don't have that much on top so that bit was quite straightforward...). It really needs someone else to do that bit. Still as I don't have eyes in the back of my head what I can't see can't hurt me!
Old 01-11-2021, 07:22 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Robbie, I tried cutting my own hair once and my wife tried cutting it once. Both results were disastrous.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:46 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Glad you are healing Bim. Get your colonoscopy, you haven't lived until you have, the whole experience from prep to finish is something else and they even throw in a cup of tea (maybe not these pandemic days).

Well done on the haircut, Robbie. I always cut my own fringe with my nail scissors.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:02 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Robbie, I tried cutting my own hair once and my wife tried cutting it once. Both results were disastrous.
I have to admit I was very nervous about cutting my hair. I don't have a great deal there and what I do have was still quite short but I was still very wary. I just took it slowly and started off with a comb guard two grades higher than what I knew I needed and used that to practice what to do (after watching a couple of YouTube videos). Went for the next lower grade number then when I felt a bit more confident moved to the one I was aiming to use. It's certainly not perfect but will do in the short run. I'd rather have it cut by a professional but the barber / hairdresser shops in the UK are likely to be closed until March or April so needs must...
Old 01-11-2021, 08:05 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, is a colonoscopy a regular procedure there. The hospitals don’t do them here unless there’s a problem. I don’t blame you not having one if you can get away with it. Mr. Mags said the prep drink wasn’t any nicer than last time.

Kaily the nurses did make him a cuppa before he left. He was the last patient in the unit. This time he got a printout of what they did complete with 3 pictures.

Bim he nearly did (not) he could do to lose a few pounds. :yup!

Robbie, I think the back of the head is the hardest to do with clippers. Did you have a mirror at the back of you so you could see what you were doing. Hubby’s hair is well past his shoulders now and catching up with mine.
Haven’t had mine trimmed since February or before, the hair matches my hibernation state.